Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
But you didn't pay for me, I paid for me; $68, as I stated in my op. Insurance had nothing to do with it, since no paperwork was filed; I paid cash in full.
The hospital wrote off the balance, hence tax payers are still picking up the tab. No such thing as "out of the goodness of their hearts" Now if they didn't write off the balance and they indeed ate it, KUDOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Show us the bill!!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is illegal for docs to have two (or more) price lists, say, one for cash, one for ins. and one for medicare. The prices they are paid by insurance vary from insurer to insurer. They may give a cash discount.
Oh, they just charged me what they bill the insurance companies. No discounts for cash, period.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Last night I was cutting my grass and the blade hit my driveway and a spark and/or rock hit my eye. I went in the house, showed my wife and there was a red dot slightly smaller then the size of a thumb tack on my eye. This morning she called the eye doctor and I had an appointment at 1pm. The doc did a very thorough examination, concluded that there was no metal or rock in my eye and that it was a corneal abrasion.

As I checked out, they asked for my insurance and I informed them that I lost it in Jan. The total cost was $137, and she said that my payment now was $68, and I asked if she was going to bill me the difference and she replied, "There is no balance, that's the cost for self pay." Needless to say, I was very pleased and wanted to share that with everyone without any agenda. I literally paid half because I was self pay, i.e. cash.
Oh, wow!!! Less than 5 minutes ago I had a mild tangent in another thread about the need to focus and investigate WHY healthcare costs so much. And I mentioned my suspicion that they charge what they do for office visits BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!! They know the insurance companies will pay it. This is the kind of bull$hit that our leaders and law-makers need to seriously look into first.

Thank you immensely for the confirmation!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The whole story the OP is telling is just a story nothing shows any proof....and even if it is true, what is the point.
Why would I make up something so trivial as this? How do I prove to you that I went to the eye doctor and they cut my bill in half because I was self pay? Why would you not believe me? I admit, I don't have much of a life, but what little one I do have is better spent doing anything other then concocting some goofy story about injuring my eye while cutting my grass. lol

Someone's got trust issues.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The hospital wrote off the balance, hence tax payers are still picking up the tab. No such thing as "out of the goodness of their hearts" Now if they didn't write off the balance and they indeed ate it, KUDOS.
It wasn't a hospital, it was an eye clinic. The attendant informed me that I paid the self pay rate. It's easier for them, no paper work to file.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I've never seen a doctor's office that asked for insurance info AFTER you are done with seeing the doc..
OMG, what is wrong with you people? It's an eye clinic with multiple doctors that each have their own attendant (?) When you walk in they ask for your insurance info; I was already on file, so I told her that I lost my insurance in Jan. I saw the doctor, he did his thorough examination and gave me the medical bill, I guess you would call it. I then checked out with an entirely different lady who then informed me of the total, and then my price since I was "self pay" as she put it.

Lemme ask you a question, are you really this hostile to everyone that might have an opinion that differs from your own? Can we not have any civil discussions in this forum, without them devolving into partisan pissing matches? All I wanted to do was share my story, you don't like it and you shoot the messenger. Foo on you.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Show us the bill!!!!
Read my post to you right above this one. I always wondered why you referred to yourself as a punk; now, not so much.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Last night I was cutting my grass and the blade hit my driveway and a spark and/or rock hit my eye. I went in the house, showed my wife and there was a red dot slightly smaller then the size of a thumb tack on my eye. This morning she called the eye doctor and I had an appointment at 1pm. The doc did a very thorough examination, concluded that there was no metal or rock in my eye and that it was a corneal abrasion.

As I checked out, they asked for my insurance and I informed them that I lost it in Jan. The total cost was $137, and she said that my payment now was $68, and I asked if she was going to bill me the difference and she replied, "There is no balance, that's the cost for self pay." Needless to say, I was very pleased and wanted to share that with everyone without any agenda. I literally paid half because I was self pay, i.e. cash.

Yes, I have insurance and something similar happened to my son and because of a high deductible, I paid the $100 and that was it. Would have cost me the same with our without insurance.

Many uninsured have no idea of premiums, copays, deductibles and limited visits. They believe the insured pay nothing and walk in and get all the free and unlimited care they want. For that you have to get on the Medicaid program.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Show us the bill!!!!
Many health care providers give a cash discount. It's far cheaper for them if the patient pays cash up front, no messing with billing companies, insurance plans, medical compliance, and worst of all the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies