Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would The "fix" work?
Yes 5 27.78%
No 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM

86 posts, read 249,447 times

Advertisements

quick and easy. Cheaper than the trillions now. A disclosed amount to every individual who pays taxes (not just 600 or 1200). If you gave everyone say...100 grand, cars would be bought, banks would be storing more money, houses would be cheaper with bigger down payments, more affordable rates due to banks success, and also a better attitude for american people.

haha i know its far fetched, but its definitely been thrown around among people in conversations.

So would it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLivinNCities View Post
quick and easy. Cheaper than the trillions now. A disclosed amount to every individual who pays taxes (not just 600 or 1200). If you gave everyone say...100 grand, cars would be bought, banks would be storing more money, houses would be cheaper with bigger down payments, more affordable rates due to banks success, and also a better attitude for american people.

haha i know its far fetched, but its definitely been thrown around among people in conversations.

So would it work?
Numerous problems with your scenario...
1) if you only gave money to individuals who pay taxes, then those who are poor would become even "poorer"
2) The cost of everything would simply increase because people with $100K in the bank dont work for minimum wage, they'd want their wages doubled, and everything else would go up to compensate, which then reverts back to my #1 above..

Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,953,732 times
Just give everyone a million bucks through the government.

- A Keynesian retard

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 AM

86 posts, read 249,447 times
it is a pretty dumb idea, I just have heard it so many times that it would work so much more efficiently then what they are doing now. If you make everyone a millionaire, gas would be 10 a gallon and bread would cost 15 bucks a loaf.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,411,744 times
Quote:

So would it work?
WOULD never happen, probably would not help. But thanks for giving me a good laugh appreciate it!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,965,841 times
Quote:

So would it work?
to everyone who PAYS TAXES?!!!! Say what? statistically, 40-45% of americans pay no income taxes at all. they and all of the senior citizens on social security and welfare cases would be howling to the top of their lungs at being "left out". for the record, i think that the ones that pay the taxes should get the greater benefit instead of sharing it among all of the deadweight that pay nothing. the ones who would get $$ back might pocket the $$, rather than spend it. I think that any improvement would be temporary only.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,899,401 times
How much are you willing to spend?

100k to 100 million taxpayers is:

$10,000,000,000,000

$10 trillion

I don't like the idea.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,356,396 times
Quote:

So would it work?
The first thing you should do is stop having conversation with people that do not have a clue about economics and are looking for a hand out.
This grand idea of stupidity is being tried right now in Zimbabwe where some people are walking around with a 10 billion dollar bill.Of course that bill is almost worthless where one would end up with a few tomatoes and a loaf of bread.Their money has become so worthless that the business people in that country won't accept it and only deal with people that have foreign currency.
Bottom line is everything would rise up in price and make our fiat currency more worthless then it is now.
Stay in this forum and pay attention,there are some really smart people here and you can learn.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,273,217 times
Someone mentioned this to me and it got me thinking....

His thought was that we will eventually pay off the national debt by basically printing out a boat-load of money and inflating our currency (big time)...

While it sounds good in some respects, as suddenly my pay would need to be adjusted for inflation and I'd be able to pay off my creditors WAY easier ... I wonder what the global implications would be and if we could survive such a maneuver....

Thoughts?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:14 AM

799 posts, read 1,442,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Someone mentioned this to me and it got me thinking....

His thought was that we will eventually pay off the national debt by basically printing out a boat-load of money and inflating our currency (big time)...

While it sounds good in some respects, as suddenly my pay would need to be adjusted for inflation and I'd be able to pay off my creditors WAY easier ... I wonder what the global implications would be and if we could survive such a maneuver....

Thoughts?

High inflation would only work against us. No one would want our debt or our dollars. We depend on credit to supply us with enough funds to maintain our standard of living. Inflation would increase the cost of imports and commodities. Savings and investments would also take a hit so lending would start to dry up. Interest rates would jump through the roof and our economy would freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies