Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If you want to keep private insurance and health care in control without government funded or provided healthcare than you are still going to have to use heavy handed government reform that will force them to accept all people and cap their ability in charging premiums.Which that still is government controlling the free market but I don't see the health industry freely accepting to cut profit and provide to all out of their good hearts without reform.

Oh and btw good luck with seeing that happen when the insurance industry drops a payment into a politicians bank account........
There will have to be some type of regulation. In Switzerland, health care is privatised and available for all at the cost of very stringent government regulation. The basic healthcare package offered by any insurance company cannot be for-profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
No you see that is the beauty of a Democracy I can vote out those that make choices I don't like so I don't have to "deal" with it.
You lost.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You lost.

LOL really I don't see the health care bill getting passed anytime soon. So perhaps you should come down off your high horse because the honeymoon is OVER!

Old 08-19-2009, 03:55 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Come on....put more wood on the fire... get your thinking cap on...you can do it.

If there is a public option that is lower cost or the fines for not providing benefits are less than the cost of providing them, many employers will just say...let the government deal with it. Can you not see something that simple? There are no safeguards being proposed because Obama and company WANTS private insurance out of business. Their aim is NOT fair competition but rather a single payer system run by government.
Absolutely. I have this conversation alot at work. Why would any company keep paying for HC, when everyone's already being taxed for it and can get it from the Govt.? I think almost every company will put their people on the Govt. plan.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
LOL really I don't see the health care bill getting passed anytime soon. So perhaps you should come down off your high horse because the honeymoon is OVER!
Do you not need a reason to whine?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
The public option will crowd out private insurance. Unless they plan on giving private insurance companies the right to print US currency the playing field will be very lopsided. Now the question you really need to ask yourself is do you want a single payer system?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:27 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As a conservative, I find myself on the fence regarding the "public option." On one hand, I want all American's to have access to affordable health insurance, and I am also slightly offended by the obscene profits that insurance companies often make. I am especially offended by these profits while they turn away those with pre-existing conditions. Insuring the healthy appears to be the driving goal because its a cash cow for Big Insurance.

On the other hand, I don't believe government is being straight with us over who will pay for the "public option." As a result, I am not convinced that taxes won't be raised on the middle class. Further, history has shown that government cannot be trusted to draft, enact, and manage entitlement programs efficiently.

Therefore, I am on the fence on this issue. Where do other conservatives stand?
I couldn't say it any better then you. I also feel the same. Personally I do not trust a thing coming from hussein obama so I hope this health care issue is stalled until we can get rid of this devious usuper and his criminal administration.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As a conservative, I find myself on the fence regarding the "public option." On one hand, I want all American's to have access to affordable health insurance, and I am also slightly offended by the obscene profits that insurance companies often make. I am especially offended by these profits while they turn away those with pre-existing conditions. Insuring the healthy appears to be the driving goal because its a cash cow for Big Insurance.

On the other hand, I don't believe government is being straight with us over who will pay for the "public option." As a result, I am not convinced that taxes won't be raised on the middle class. Further, history has shown that government cannot be trusted to draft, enact, and manage entitlement programs efficiently.

Therefore, I am on the fence on this issue. Where do other conservatives stand?
There is an oxymoron if I ever heard one, (Conservatives for Socialized Healthcare). Look there are alot of good ways to reform the healthcare industry without letting the government take it over or rewarding insurance companies. Competition, Competition ,Competition....we must start by lowering the cost and getting employers and insurance companies out of the loop.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
There is an oxymoron if I ever heard one, (Conservatives for Socialized Healthcare). Look there are alot of good ways to reform the healthcare industry without letting the government take it over or rewarding insurance companies. Competition, Competition ,Competition....we must start by lowering the cost and getting employers and insurance companies out of the loop.
Why do you guys continue to say "government will take it over?" This has been debunked numerous times. A public option is just that, an option. If you have good health care through your employer like me, you can keep it.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
The issue I have with the Government option is two fold. One is I still have no clue who is paying for this option and there is no safe guards in place to prevent every employer from dumping their employees on the GO. I really could care less if the governement wants to offer a health plan but I want to know how it is getting paid for and what they will do to prevent companies from just not offering health insurance anymore.
You may have a point on the dumping but that can be dealt with through the law hopefully. Something like "any employer that has or has had a plan in the past 3 years and terminates it shall be charged DOUBLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies