Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,442,228 times

Advertisements

There's not nearly enough detail in that article to be able to form any kind of an opinion on the decision that was reached. It just says he was retreating after an argument. Was it just an argument.....was he trying to rob him.....was he backing down from doing it or was he sucessful in robbing him....was he running off with one of his children in his arms.....it doesn't say on detail what the circumstances were. The decision may be unique to this case for reasons not explained......it doesn't mean it's OK now for people to start shooting people in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,274,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Pretty much the same deal in Florida. The "Castle doctrine" applies to one's home, vehicle, or place of business.
PA First ask how their childhood was. Ask if they were ever molested by priest,family member or friend of the family. Then ask if they were nurtured enough. Then finally ask if they were ever spanked as a child. If the answer is yes to any of these questions hand your weapon over to the criminal and allow them to shoot you. You are part of society and it is your fault the criminal acts like a criminal.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,346,883 times
As I view it, nobody is entitled to anything of mine, and nobody else but my husband belongs in my house uninvited. If I'm able to hurt or kill someone, I'll definitely do it before he/she has the chance to move first. And if he/she has already done harm and tries to flee, I would shoot in an instant.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,457,845 times
every person that is analyzing the situation to the point of whether or not they will hit the bad guy in the back is probably already gone by the time the situation arises (and probably does not own a gun anyhow). That is why you defend your property and your people. It is not shooting, it is defending and protecting. That is definitely a key distinction you have to make.

BTW, CD needs a section just for gun owners. I know there is there are a few in hobbies and recreation, but that is not enough.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,825,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Your odds of hitting a moving leg is pretty slim with a handgun under stress. Much better with a shotgun but that would likely result in tearing the femoral artery and a bleedout before an ambulance could arrive. So now you've got a wounded and frightened threat that can shoot back.

In war, a sniper might try to maim from a distance not out of mercy but for the fact that it takes two to carry one so by wounding one you've effictively neutralized three. It would depend on the objective of course.

When it's hot and heavy and at relatively close range, you shoot for the center of mass because 1, it's more likely to neutralize, and 2, You're more likely to actually hit your target.

If you are so proficient that you can actually take out a moving leg, my hat is off to you but for us mere mortals a shot to the center makes a lot more sense.
Hey guy, I'm talking about someone who is running away, not someone coming AT you. And at that, someone who just stole your car radio - you want a shot to his head?

Last edited by KRAMERCAT; 08-20-2009 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,988,158 times
Any person that steals...robs...or kills is a person who is committing a "Felony" and will repeat his crime due to the fact they got away with it and in their glory feel a high of blood rushing thru the veins.

They will continue to commit crimes utill caught. Even then after completing a jail sentence and being released...they will resort to the old ways for a quick buck and the h**l with the vicims.

I would compare a criminal with that of a fly. You shoo them away or try to swat them and they will still come back until being stopped for the last time.

I was a victim of a pick up truck burglery...stole my old $99 cheap radio that never worked right. Serves them right as they probably were kicking themselves as a result.

Even had gas taken from it...stupid persons left their own factory gas cap painted from the factory behind on the ground when in a hurry to get away. Stupid is...stupid does.

Steve

Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,601,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Any person that steals...robs...or kills is a person who is committing a "Felony" and will repeat his crime due to the fact they got away with it and in their glory feel a high of blood rushing thru the veins.

They will continue to commit crimes utill caught. Even then after completing a jail sentence and being released...they will resort to the old ways for a quick buck and the h**l with the vicims.

I would compare a criminal with that of a fly. You shoo them away or try to swat them and they will still come back until being stopped for the last time.

I was a victim of a pick up truck burglery...stole my old $99 cheap radio that never worked right. Serves them right as they probably were kicking themselves as a result.

Even had gas taken from it...stupid persons left their own factory gas cap painted from the factory behind on the ground when in a hurry to get away. Stupid is...stupid does.

Steve
Well rambo, then I highly suggest you catch the mother f*cker initially, then you dont have to worry, yeah?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,274,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Hey guy, I'm talking about someone who is running away, not someone coming AT you. And at that, someone who just stole your car radio - you want a shot to his head?
Now to me the issue isn't the potential loss of a $99.00 radio. The issue is with the attitude of said criminal that its perfectly ok to take it in the first place. I know some feel that a human life is worth more than a stupid radio. I agree when it comes to humans who behave like civilized humans.
Then we have the predatores who walk upright. Unlike the rabid dog they behave like they have the ability to reason. To consider the consequences.
Instead they reason that whats mine is theirs and whats your is theirs including your daughters virtue.
Sorry I am fresh out of compassion for the thugs of this world. They deserve exactly what they get when caught.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,457,845 times
We need to make the game easier for the criminals. Put A's and P's on every door. Anyone with an A is active and will defend themselves. The P's are passive and will greet the criminals with milk and cookies after giving them a hug. This way the criminals will not get injured/killed and it will also help ease the ammunition shortage.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,078,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

A shot to the center would indicate the center of mass. That's the chest or back, not the head. Head shots and leg shots are easy in video games but not so easy in real life.

If by chance you did happen to get a lucky leg shot, the runner is no longer running, then you've got a wounded and frightened and very likely armed individual that is no longer increasing the distance between. You've got to remember that if your target is within range, so are you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies