Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:20 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I don't know where this myth gained traction that the media doesn't report crimes that black people commit. The local news covered them quite thoroughly, as was stated in the article. And the national news has bigger fish to fry at present.
This is no myth. Our local rag prints a 'Police Beat' listing crimes perpetrated in the community in each issue. They never include the race of the perpetrators. In the comments section I had critisized the police for not revealing the race many times. Finally I was told by the editors that the police do tell them the race of the perpetrators but that they do not include this information in the paper.

I think the reason is obvious. Most of the robberies and burglaries are commited by blacks and they feel as though it would cause racial problems in the community if the citizens knew this.

- Reel

Old 08-20-2009, 03:25 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
This is no myth. Our local rag prints a 'Police Beat' listing crimes perpetrated in the community in each issue. They never include the race of the perpetrators. In the comments section I had critisized the police for not revealing the race many times. Finally I was told by the editors that the police do tell them the race of the perpetrators but that they do not include this information in the paper.

I think the reason is obvious. Most of the robberies and burglaries are commited by blacks and they feel as though it would cause racial problems in the community if the citizens knew this.

- Reel
Does it really matter to you what race this person is? I mean I'd like to see a picture of the person and all just to know their face, but if you all you knew was that they were black/white/whatever it would actually make a difference?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 AM

843 posts, read 1,298,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Does it really matter to you what race this person is? I mean I'd like to see a picture of the person and all just to know their face, but if you all you knew was that they were black/white/whatever it would actually make a difference?
Well, it seemed to matter in the JAmes Byrd case and the Duke Lacrosse case.

Did it really matter that the people that killed James Byrd were white? He's still dead.

Did it matter that the people that killed Matthew Shepard were straight? They killed him for money. Not because he was gay. So why did their sexual preference matter? The media has their preconceived notions abnout groups and stick with it.

How come whenever a little girl gets abducted only the white ones make the news? Black kids never go missing?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Well, it seemed to matter in the JAmes Byrd case and the Duke Lacrosse case.

Did it really matter that the people that killed James Byrd were white? He's still dead.

Did it matter that the people that killed Matthew Shepard were straight? They killed him for money. Not because he was gay. So why did their sexual preference matter? The media has their preconceived notions abnout groups and stick with it.

How come whenever a little girl gets abducted only the white ones make the news? Black kids never go missing?
So are you agreeing with me? I said that someone's race shouldn't matter in a news report...

Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
So are you agreeing with me? I said that someone's race shouldn't matter in a news report...
What you seem to be saying is the it's ok with you if journalists intentionally leave facts out of their reports to suit their agenda. I assume you only feel this way if you happen to agree with that particular agenda.

That is a real bad and dangerous slippery slope, my friend. Journalists should be impartial and report all of the facts known to them. The chips won't always fall into your slot but you cannot seriously be for allowing journalists to pick and choose what facts they report. I know you cannot possibly be that short sighted.

- Reel

Old 08-20-2009, 04:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Trial in rape, slaying of young TN couple begins - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports
This happened two years ago and the trial is beginning. Why is it that the Duke Lacrosse rape case got wall to wall national coverage and this case was virtually ignored by the national press. In the Duke case it was white students and a black woman. In this case it was black youths and a white couple. Below is what they did to the man and then to the woman.

They were bound, blindfolded and brought to Davidson's rundown rental home in an industrial inner-city neighborhood about six miles away. According to defendants' statements, Newsom wasn't there long before he was taken away, sexually assaulted, shot in the back of the head, set on fire and left beside some railroad tracks a few blocks away.
Over the next day, Christian was repeatedly raped, bleach was sprayed in her mouth to destroy evidence and, Coleman told investigators, Davidson broke her neck. A medical examiner has testified that she suffocated after she was wrapped in plastic bags and dumped in a closed trash can.
There are many reasons why a case doesn't get National attention...First ask CNN, MSNBC and NBC...together they have the largest amount of air time....if they don't run this and not even Nancy Grace isn't spending time on it, there must be a reason.

If the family of the people involved didn't talk to the media, than the media won't cover it. In the Duke Lacrosse case the family members and the person's charged were trying to proof their innocence and used the media to get attention. Also a DA who wasn't honest added fuel to the case, just as the lying black woman.

The other side is that the biggest group of inmates are black so by now most people are more used to see (watch cops and/or see arrests on the news) black people being convicted of crimes or bing arrested. A group of white atheltes doing a crime as the were accused of is something new.

Only 2 days ago a white HCC student was raped and tied up by a black 17 yr old guy....it didn't get much attention either...but the police in Tampa did such a good work that the person who did this is locked up in juvenile center until he will be charged as an adult which IMO will happen due to the crime he commited and the proof the police has...he was taped on video using her debit card at a convenience store while she was tied up and he made comments that only the person who did this could know! Another smart a$$ who hopefully will be locked up for life!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
What you seem to be saying is the it's ok with you if journalists intentionally leave facts out of their reports to suit their agenda. I assume you only feel this way if you happen to agree with that particular agenda.

That is a real bad and dangerous slippery slope, my friend. Journalists should be impartial and report all of the facts known to them. The chips won't always fall into your slot but you cannot seriously be for allowing journalists to pick and choose what facts they report. I know you cannot possibly be that short sighted.

- Reel
So you think news channels should be required to tell you what race the perpetrator was? What do we have to gain from that? I don't think ANY news report should specifically disclose what race the perp is unless it was to show a picture or full description. To just say a middle aged white man did this or a young black male did that is in no way helpful nor productive.

I see what you're saying, about only leaving out the race sometimes. But really that just seems like its happening because you're looking for it to happen, I hear about crimes committed by minorities everyday. Maybe its just that we've in the past decade actually started reporting the crimes that white people commit.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
So you think news channels should be required to tell you what race the perpetrator was? What do we have to gain from that? I don't think ANY news report should specifically disclose what race the perp is unless it was to show a picture or full description. To just say a middle aged white man did this or a young black male did that is in no way helpful nor productive.

I see what you're saying, about only leaving out the race sometimes. But really that just seems like its happening because you're looking for it to happen, I hear about crimes committed by minorities everyday. Maybe its just that we've in the past decade actually started reporting the crimes that white people commit.
I'm for reporting the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. To do otherwise is a very bad thing. I'm sure that you're arguing for these omissions because it happens to suit your particular agenda. Trust me that will not always be the case.

- Reel

Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I'm for reporting the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. To do otherwise is a very bad thing. I'm sure that you're arguing for these omissions because it happens to suit your particular agenda. Trust me that will not always be the case.

- Reel
You're going a little off the deep end here... Not specifying what race a perpetrator is suits what agenda I allegedly have? I'm now a conspiracy theory? No just like how you refuse to answer, I don't know what we would have to gain from reporting that. Again, unless giving a full description or showing a picture, the color of a man's skin shouldn't matter. Does it matter to you? because I can't think of any other reason you'd want to know...

Old 08-20-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
You're going a little off the deep end here... Not specifying what race a perpetrator is suits what agenda I allegedly have? I'm now a conspiracy theory? No just like how you refuse to answer, I don't know what we would have to gain from reporting that. Again, unless giving a full description or showing a picture, the color of a man's skin shouldn't matter. Does it matter to you? because I can't think of any other reason you'd want to know...
The reason that race should be reported is a whole different topic from the point I was trying to make. I'm not interested in being dragged into that debate right now. I made a point about the media deciding what to include and what not to include in their reporting. Rather than address that with me you are trying to drag me into a different direction.

That's a typical debate strategy on this forum. Rather than debating my point that journalist should not be deciding what facts we need to know and what facts we do not need to know, you are trying to change the subject.

The subject of my post was not why race may or may not be an important fact. The subject of my post was that journalists should report all of the facts and let me decide what is important and what is not.

I will not be dragged into a different direction by you.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies