Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
Bio Diesel isn't perfect. The process to create Bio Diesel has two drawbacks. 1) It requires a significant amount of agricultural land to be diverted from food production which raises the cost of food, 2) The processing of the raw agricultural product releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

Again, there are so many mis informed on this.

It DOES NOT require diversion of agricultural land. It can be made, most efficiently from ALGAE. That is grown quite prolifically in tanks of water. Easy to harvest, by simply skimming it off the top, and already in semi mulched/liquified form.

That reduces the amount of processing of the raw product many times over, vs processing corn, rapeseed, or other types of agricultural product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
I see a theme here: we need diesel so we can reduce (or eliminate) our dependence on foreign oil. Screw the environment I just don't want anymore of America's hard earned money going to the Middle East.

Well, if we care so much about keeping American money out of the M.E. we could pull out of Iraq now. Afghanistan too, I don't see much being accomplished there for the billions its costing. Diesel isn't here now. The clean diesel burning vehicles are not now in production in any greater numbers than the hybrid or electric products that are available.

What do Capitalists do when they have something that the public wants? Needs? They gouge. They do what they can to see that the price stays high. They are not above grounding a few tankers of bio-diesel or torching a couple of refineries to make sure supplies of diesel become endangered and therefore profitable. Electricity is cents/KWH and there is no inbuilt refining, transport, wholesale, transport, retail; pricing scheme to make billions for oil companies.

Electric. Now. It can be done.

H

Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Because the DC crowd are fixed on lithium battery cars.
40 miles on a charge?? Whoa maybe I want to drive 2000 miles.
And some of us need to TOW things. Things that an electric motor, running off of a lithium battery simply cannot provide the necessary torque to move down the road.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Leis--- Again, show me HOW electric can be done..NOW. Give me some proof. I dont see it. And the increased demand for electricity to recharge all those batteries on a daily basis will simply create the same amount of pollution by useing whatever fuel is used by your local generating plant. Guess what, a fair amount of it is....Diesel. Maybe we could run those electric plants on Bio Diesel too...eh?

There's NO need to ground a tanker full of Bio Diesel, as it is produced HERE. Locally, in your own city, a few miles from the point of delivery to your vehicle. Your anti Diesel passion is clouding your ability to see things clearly.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I see a theme here: we need diesel so we can reduce (or eliminate) our dependence on foreign oil. Screw the environment I just don't want anymore of America's hard earned money going to the Middle East.

Well, if we care so much about keeping American money out of the M.E. we could pull out of Iraq now. Afghanistan too, I don't see much being accomplished there for the billions its costing. Diesel isn't here now. The clean diesel burning vehicles are not now in production in any greater numbers than the hybrid or electric products that are available.

What do Capitalists do when they have something that the public wants? Needs? They gouge. They do what they can to see that the price stays high. They are not above grounding a few tankers of bio-diesel or torching a couple of refineries to make sure supplies of diesel become endangered and therefore profitable. Electricity is cents/KWH and there is no inbuilt refining, transport, wholesale, transport, retail; pricing scheme to make billions for oil companies.

Electric. Now. It can be done.

H
Not at all....
If we can get 30% more from diesel without raising emmissions then this buys the time to develope a truely viable alternative rather than rushing in with products that simply do not work.
The wind farms are already proving to be less than reliable. on any given day you can look at the one near my home and half the windmills stand idle. Not from lack of wind but due to failure.
Solar is still the pipe dream.
Nuclear power? I have no issues with it. I lived on a Nimitz class carrier for 4 years. Its the enviromentalists who are against nuclear power.
That said it has little to with the auto industry. As some have said . we don't all live in the city. Some of us need to drive great distances and electric cars are no option. Add to this some of us need to haul things or tow trailors. Once again an electric or even hybrid is not an option.
But lets look at the hybrid option. Clean diesel married to a hybrid platform. Better fuel economy than a gas/electric combo. Its a win win deal.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not at all....
Its the enviromentalists who are against nuclear power.
Not necessarily. There is a 50-50 split within the environmentalist community about nuclear power. Many see it as better than coal, oil and gas. I would count myself among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies