Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I'm a gun nut wacko by left wing standards, but the more I think about this the more I agree with tinman01. I have no problem carrying my concealed weapon where it's legal - and here in Texas it is NOT legal to do so at a political rally even if you hold your CHL (concealed permit), but were open carry allowed I would not do so at such a rally with the president or even near one. Even though I get the point these guys are making, the consequences of "turning the heat up" like this, along with what happens if someone actually does fire a shot is just not worth it. There are better ways to get the point across that the 2nd amendment needs to be respected just as much as the 1st amendment does.
Exactly. This kind of activity only hurts the argument to protect our rights. Not so different than yelling fire in a movie theater simply to excercise what you view as your 1st amend rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I am for gun control, but anyone of any predisposition on the issue of gun rights should disagree with this. If a 1,000 people file into a gymnasium to hear the president speak, they should all be able to all bring in guns with them due to the 2nd amendment? Seriously? lol

Talk about an "accident" in the waiting. Surely 99% of gun rights activists have more sense than this guy. I think they do. This was just laughable today - and Chris Matthews actually did a good job taking it to him.

See the video starting around 3:30 ...

YouTube - Chris Matthews DESTROYS 'Gun Rights' Guy Over Guns Near Obama

I take my firearm with me everywhere - the mall, grocery store, parks, church, convention centers - everywhere.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I take my firearm with me everywhere - the mall, grocery store, parks, church, convention centers - everywhere.
And while I disagree with that being ok, it is currently is your right (in the place that you live). But do you think people at a presidential political event, all carrying guns, is a good idea? Do you think that if everyone at these "town halls" with their representative was carrying a gun - that it would be a good idea? I say no. Too many wackos. We would have numerous deaths/assasination attempts.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Even the wingnut, Neil Boortz, says that bringing guns to anti-healthcare rallies is stupid.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 AM

952 posts, read 942,121 times
I'm not a fan of the President or his agenda----but his safety should be Non-negotiable. The fallout of any incident involving a breach of Obama's security would NOT be good....at ALL. I pray the protection during his tenure be sterling, and his safety be exceptional......and uneventful

Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Regardless of what I personally believe....I really don't think these extreme measures are helping gun ownership rights.
These people look bad in the public eye. Period. They seem to be endangering the president and the entire country solely for their own selfish reasons.

So they can sleep and shower and visit the president with their AK-47 by their side.

Give me a break.

Way to go Chris Matthews... you just made a fan.

Last edited by brubaker; 08-20-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Agreed and there should be snipers available to drop anyone who reaches for their waist.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Um, higher taxes for a ka-zillion secret service...or common sense...hmmmm...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Did you watch the video? They are speaking hypothetically. This guy says that everyone should be able to bring guns into the room in which they are listening to the president speak.

He's an idiot. Plain an simple.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
This is really a no-brainer. Please people, think logically. Can we just stop w/this "it's in the constitution" rhetoric & start thinking w/our brains? There is no way anyone who is near the president should be carrying, it's dangerous, it's stupid & it's asking for disaster. Not bringing your gun isn't "checking your rights at the door", it's called being practical. It's the president for gods sakes, he is the one person that there should be no guns allowed around him. I can't believe anyone would think otherwise. The hysteria over gun rights is seeming to get out of control to the point where people are leaving their brains at the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies