Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times

Advertisements

The U.S. has a five-year survival rate in all the cancers studied of 91.9 per cent, while Europe's is much lower at 57.1 per cent. However, survival rates within the U.S. can vary.

In Canada, the five Canadian provinces included in the study had almost identical results.

"For those five provinces, the survival rate does not differ very greatly from one to the other," said British cancer researcher Prof. Michel Coleman. "That probably indicates the overall effectiveness of universal health care for setting a high standard."

The range of survival rates across the five provinces was quite narrow, from a low of 79.3 per cent in Nova Scotia to a high of 85.4 per cent in British Columbia.

CTV.ca | Canada gets high ranking for cancer survival rates

Listen to the spin they put on it. Since the lower survival rates are nearly identically bad across Canada, that's a good thing. How do you reason with people like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Canada has an older population.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,975 times
I should point out that America has a higher test rate for several types of cancer. However, this doesn't always mean that it has a better treatment record. For example, men are diagnosed earlier with prostate cancer in the US, but the average age of death from prostate cancer is pretty much the same, so statistically it looks like men with prostate cancer live longer in the US than other nations, but they die at roughly the same age.

This has to do with prostate cancer (and several other types of cancer) being virtually untreatable.

I will also point out that I am PRO-private healthcare.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I should point out that America has a higher test rate for several types of cancer. However, this doesn't always mean that it has a better treatment record. For example, men are diagnosed earlier with prostate cancer in the US, but the average age of death from prostate cancer is pretty much the same, so statistically it looks like men with prostate cancer live longer in the US than other nations, but they die at roughly the same age.

This has to do with prostate cancer (and several other types of cancer) being virtually untreatable.

I will also point out that I am PRO-private healthcare.

Thanks for your input, but if I wanted to discuss what is about the same and roughly the same I would have titled the threat that and I wouldn't have bothered providing a link.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Canada has an older population.
Yes, that's true. They have an older population that waits to begin treatment while cancer grows in their older bodies.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, that's true. They have an older population that waits to begin treatment while cancer grows in their older bodies.
The article you linked to certainly doesn't support such a conclusion, crabby:

"Further research is planned on how the stage of the cancer at the time of diagnosis may affect survival rates."

Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Comparing Canada and America is like comparing a freezer filled with vanilla ice cream with a refrigerator filled with leftover pizza, tacos, pierogis, fried chicken, and barbecue ribs.

Plus, Canada has what? 33 million people? Los Angeles county and greater New York city together have nearly 20 million. America's population is nearly ten times that of Canada, with a substantial portion of undocumented aliens.

Swap the positions of the US and Canada vis-a-vis Mexico. Watch their medical costs escalate while ours decline...

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,463,628 times
Quote:
The U.S. has a five-year survival rate in all the cancers studied of 91.9 per cent, while Europe's is much lower at 57.1 per cent. However, survival rates within the U.S. can vary.
More reason why everybody should be able to receive health care in this country.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,112 times
Quote:
[i]The U.S. has a five-year survival rate in all the cancers studied of 91.9 per cent
Who are the test cases? I'm betting most are elderly. Therefore, they are covered by Medicare. Thanks. Your thread is a clear endorsement for government run healthcare.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,213 times
THIS IS THE SOURCE DOCUMENT: http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/ncdeu/cancersurvival/concord/phase1/CONCORD%20article,%20tables,%20figures%20final%20w eb.pdf (broken link)

The pooled estimate of five-year survival for Canada was 82.5%, with a narrow range from
79.3% in Nova Scotia to 85.4% in British Columbia (Table 3, Figure 1). In the USA, five-year
relative survival for all races combined ranged from 78-81% in New York City, New York State
and Louisiana to 89-90% in Hawaii and Seattle WA (Table 3), but most of the estimates lie
within a fairly narrow range, from 82% to 87% (Figure 2). Survival in metropolitan areas
covered by SEER registries was similar to that in the respective states: Detroit MI 83.0% and
Michigan State 82.3%; San Francisco CA 86.2% and California State 84.6%. Five-year survival
was 77.4% for residents of New York City (with 40% of the state population), slightly lower
than for New York State as a whole, 81.0%.

From Table 3 - Five Year Survival Rates
Breast Prostate Country
82.5% 85.1% Canada
83.9% 91.9% USA
69.7% 51.1% Britain
80.7% 77.4% Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies