Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 07:51 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
This becomes a major problem when public places are geared to Spanish ONLY. Case in point:

I walked into Target several months ago, over the intercom there was a Spanish announcement, not even followed up with a English translation! The building could have been on fire, or worse a REALLY good sale but I would never have known.

A Payless Shoe Store down the street from where I work, you go into the store...all signs are in Spanish, no English.

I called Pizza downtown to order pizza for some of my customers, couldn't get ANYONE (not even the manager) that could speak English...so couldn't place an order.

Hollywood Video down from my house has a parking sign, all in Spanish...WHAT THE *** DOES IT MEAN???

And when almost half your billboards are in Spanish that's when you realize the tables are turning.
Where do you live, Brownsville, TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Where do you live, Brownsville, TX?
LOL, no Houston, TX

Old 09-06-2009, 08:08 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".
Your quote is from 100 years ago:
- 13 years before women gained their right to vote
- 17 years before Native Americans gained full citizenship
- 60 years before the end of Jim Crow

It was a completely different World back then.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
LOL, no Houston, TX
You must be on the East side.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default You are disrespectful and unappropriate...

If you don't speak the Native American language. Everyone else, and their language, came after. White, English speaking people did not discover this country.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:22 AM

481 posts, read 943,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
If you don't speak the Native American language. Everyone else, and their language, came after. White, English speaking people did not discover this country.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Agreed. I don't mind at all when people speak among themselves and at home in their native language, but they should conduct thier pubic affairs in english.

One flag, one nation, one language.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:43 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
Quote:
The word unappropriate is in the English dictionary but whatever... Inappropriate, unappropriate...you get what I am talking about..

Unappropiate is not in Webster's dictionary the way you are using it. The correct word is inappropriate. We should all make an effort to speak English correctly. Especially if one is a native.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
This thread gives me more of a reason to speak Spanish to my (American, English native speaker) friends, on the phone, and to myself. Spanish is my 2nd language after English- my half of my family came to the US in 1638 to settle Mass Bay. What are you going to do to try to stop me?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You must be on the East side.
I live in Spring so all those incidents are scattered all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies