Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 01:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Hmm, you're questioning my ability to be patriotic because I've switched citizenship once already? If so, that's a first for me! Look, folks: Naturalized U.S. Citizens are not truly patriotic because, hey, they jumped ship once. Wow!
No you maroon, read your own words. Here I'll highlight the relevant part...

Quote:
Americans, like Cubans or Mexicans, will go where opportunity and a better life is possible. If the economics of the U.S. and Mexico turned around, Americans would FLOCK to Mexico in droves. Are you kidding? Better economics AND better weather? Let's go!!
That makes it pretty clear that you would jump up and leave as soon as things were better in Mexico.

Quote:
You've heard of the Oath of Citizenship? I took that oath in Federal Court! If you want to know what I publicly declared to do for the U.S. in trade for gaining citizenship, look up the Oath. And, no, I don't skip jury duty, even though I'd love to.

Does that mean I must stay in the U.S. and never leave? I have considered moving abroad, but not because of economic gain. In fact, quite the opposite. I've considered moving to Costa Rica or some other place in Latin America -- precisely because of the potential to live a much simpler life. My days would not be filled with preoccupations about how to make enough money to live, as it is here in the U.S. I'd be surrounded by people who take life a little slower and more enjoyably. Does this make me less of an American? You see, people move around to other countries for a variety of reasons. This does not diminish their patriotism.
I don't know you, so I'm not going to speak for you other than what you have said in this thread. But you don't seem to truly understand what being a patriot really is. Do you really believe all individuals that swore an oath of citizenship are now somehow loyal to America? I highly doubt it.

Lastly, it isn't that Americans can't ever leave the United States. But to really be an American is to know and understand that where ever you go, you will always be an American, and in your heart, America will always be home.

I could move to Germany or France or Mexico or Costa Rica tomorrow, I could live there the rest of my life. But I'll always be an American, and it will always be more important for this country to do well before any other country. Even if there are cheaper and more beautiful countries in the world.

I don't expect immigrants to lose their love for their own country. But anyone that wants to make this country their home, should be respectful of the social norms existing in the country.

Many people feel like us Americans should change to adapt to the influx of immigrants into this country. They believe we should learn multiple languages in schools, and that we should learn about cultures and be accepting of them. Next thing you know they'll have us wearing headscarves. I don't understand why we are so opposed to requiring people that want to be AMERICANS, to become AMERICANS. This diversity police crap is going too far.

Read this article and tell me how important diversity is.
FrontPage Magazine - Western Muslims' Racist Rape Spree (http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=6161 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Interesting how calling someone a "maroon" -- against forum rules -- doesn't seem to phase the moderators on this thread at all. But god help us should we post a few words in another language. We learn about the forum rules right away then, and our posts are promptly removed.

Wonder, how polite and patriotic is it to insult perfect strangers -- in English?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-08-2009 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Typo - English is so hard. :(

Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
out of courtesy you should speak english in the presence of those that do.
but out of ear shot or in public its not a requirement and shouldnt be.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Estoy viviendo en la Florida y espanol is comun aqui.

Wish I had a way to add the accents. It doesn't bother me if people speak another language, language is a talent of mine.

EDIT: Ugh, not "accents" but "diacritical marks".

Last edited by TKramar; 11-08-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 10:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
And that is exactly why we are in the chaotic mess that we are in. Everything and anything goes here and there isn't any order what-so-ever. I am not saying that other languages shouldn't be spoken but I am saying that this is America and we need to stick with English or we will not be able to understand one another. You have taken what I have said out of context...

I don't think he has taken it out of context. You on the other hand want to stop a free-dome that I thought a real American like yourself believed in.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
While I can understand why people might find it intriguing that there is so much diversity in the world. I don't think you truly understand the problems associated with multiculturalism in our country. Anyone who thinks its a good thing to have language barriers in a single country is a fool. So you say, we should just learn more than one language? How many languages do you propose?

People need to look at the big picture. Having multiple cultures and multiple languages is just creating division in this country. It is not "good for America". If this separationist attitude becomes too pervasive, we are set on a road to the breakup of this great country.
Where did your ancestors come from?
Did they speak fluent English when they got here?
Didn't think so.
Does this mean that you must leave the country? Or is it different because they are your ancestors?
Different standards, I see.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I know before people visit foreign language countries, they usually buy a dictionary or some kind of phrase book because they want to at least try to speak a little bit.
To actually move to a different country, I think I'd want to be able to speak as fluent in that language as I possibly can. Learn as much as I can of that particular culture too, but hey, I guess that's just me.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I know before people visit foreign language countries, they usually buy a dictionary or some kind of phrase book because they want to at least try to speak a little bit.
To actually move to a different country, I think I'd want to be able to speak as fluent in that language as I possibly can. Learn as much as I can of that particular culture too, but hey, I guess that's just me.
I live in military communities and that is certainly not my experience.
Americans, in a great many cases, don't speak a word of the language in the country where they live.
Most don't even try.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Well, my great-grandparents stumbled onto Ellis Island without a word of English. They raised 11 kids, all of whom speak/spoke English. My great grandfather died when I was six, but my great grandmother's English was adequate, at best. This has been happening since the beginning of the 19th century, and it seems to be a problem for about 15% of the people. Everyone else pretty much goes about their business. I know it is not a problem for me. But, I live in a huge metro area--there are immigrants from everywhere here.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I live in military communities and that is certainly not my experience.
Americans, in a great many cases, don't speak a word of the language in the country where they live.
Most don't even try.
I don't know how it is for some of the other foreign bases for military members but when my spouse and I were stationed in Italy, we were given an introductory immersion to the language and area to lessen the culture shock. We were taught a few words and phrases and how to use the phone, rail system [to some extent] and the local bus, ordering food in a restaurant. Some of the military members hooked up with the natives. I think that enhanced their language skills [in more ways than one ]. Some took to base housing with their families. To get on the list, it was long and might take a year or more, so other family members decided to find a home out on the local economy. The single members, of course, were housed in the barracks. However, the base did employ many of the natives. So, the single members could still try to find someone to speak with, if they so chose to.

It just seems like you'd want to try but at times, I can understand that it can be very daunting, as the natives start speaking faster. We were reminded that we were there representing the U.S., so we did try to present ourselves in a dignified manner.
I'm sure there's some people that come up from Mexico and Latin/South America, as well as other countries, that do want to try and learn English. I've met a few. I thought they did rather well speaking English. For the ones that don't, I can't tell if it's really because they don't want to or that they are timid. If they try, that's all that matters, imo anyways. I, for one, would help if I could. I think most of us would.
One temp job I was at employed visiting Asian workers. At first, I had a bit of a problem understanding the broken English because of that and the way they accented their words. However, by the 3rd week of being around them, I actually started to be able to understand what they were saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies