Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 06:26 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Can you back this up with some facts? If it's true that Spanish-language issues fuel America's deepest-since-the-Civil-war divide, then there are data points to support it, as there are for the country's division over things like the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Healthcare reform, et. al.
I didn't say the Spanish language caused the divide, I said it contributes to the divide and it is a NON-ISSUE. The Spanish language being as widespread in this country is a constant reminder of our illegal immigrant problem. If it wasn't for the language barrier issues I don't think nearly as many people would be so up-in-arms against Mexicans and Immigration.

I merely mentioned fixing the Spanish language question as something that we could easily fix that doesn't CHANGE America in any fundamental way. Unlike healthcare reform, wars, guns, and immigration itself.

Quote:
Spanish-language radio and TV are media outlets owned and operated by *American* corporations. In some markets, such as L.A., Spanish-language media now outpaces English language media. Banning these American broadcasters means messing with big corporate profits -- of American corporations. So much for Capitalism and free market principles. Good luck!
Do you think there is no such thing as regulation? The fact that you say in LA that Spanish is outpacing English in the media is proof in itself what a problem the Spanish language has become.

This country is NOT a free market, we have NEVER been a free market. We only apply free market principles that we so choose. Most of the market is heavily regulated for the protection of the consumer and other entities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Ow, I don't know, keeping them in touch with 1/2 of their roots, broadening their linguistic and cultural skills, making them more knowledgeable, worldly.... Nah, wouldn't want any of that. Let's dumb them down and limit them as much as possible.

But I know you're only being sarcastic. Nice job! Having fun playing along with you.
Well, I'm only being sarcastic in the sense that he can't actually have kids, nor does he want any.

Also, fact to keep in mind is that the vast majority of children born to Chinese immigrants don't learn the Chinese languages anyway. They are simply too difficult to learn. The children of Hispanic immigrants tend to be bilangual, but I can't say that is the case with Chinese groups. Many of our friends who came from China have kids, they tried to teach them Manderin, and not one of them speaks any of the languages that their parents know.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 11-10-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
You have admitted that you have not read every post in this thread but it is obvious that you didn't even read the first thread or the opening comments or you wouldn't have even posted. When making comments you really need to go back to the beginning and read the entire thread especially the Number 1 post... I NEVER said to ERADICATE the use of other languages in the United States as I respect other languages and have no problem with other languages being spoken in this country. I will not repeat my number 1 post... but PLEASE READ IT. Your comments are insulting and silly to me because you obviously are missing the point and my intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Many native-born Americans in Aroostook County, Maine, speak French (Canadian French) as their primary language, and have for generations. It IS genuine to that area, bordering Quebec and other French-speaking Canadian provinces. I can't fathom being insulted by their use of French instead of English, and would be more bothered by my LACK of French speaking skills than by their use of French.

Admittedly, I have not read every post in this thread, but what about Native Americans? Would you also be insulted if you were in the presence of a group of indigenous people who spoke a language that predated the arrival of English on the soil that is now the US, simply because YOU did not speak that language? Should the Aleutian Eskimos that live in Alaska, were born in Alaska as US citizens, be forced to only speak English instead of their native Aleut? It was not that long ago that the Penobscot Indians (as well as the other bands of Abnaki) of Maine were physically and emotionally punished by school teachers and officals when they conversed in their native tongue instead of English, and as a result, the number of Penobscots that are able to converse in their own traditional language has greatly diminished, which I think is a great loss to the Penobscot Nation and yes, to the culture of the USA. I'm sure other Native American speakers were treated similarly in other areas of the U.S., and their loss is just as great. Is that what we want? To eradicate the use of any language other than English, because it's "unAmerican"? Not what *I* want.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 AM

I agree Redshadowz and very well said.. This entire discussion is frustating and the lack of respect for this country is obvious by the different responses. Not many respect America or the privileges that it offers. Everyone wants to take over and nobody could give a rats a-- about roots, heritage or any of that.. It is all about me, me me... And that is exactly why this country is going to hell in a handcart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
No you maroon, read your own words. Here I'll highlight the relevant part...

That makes it pretty clear that you would jump up and leave as soon as things were better in Mexico.

I don't know you, so I'm not going to speak for you other than what you have said in this thread. But you don't seem to truly understand what being a patriot really is. Do you really believe all individuals that swore an oath of citizenship are now somehow loyal to America? I highly doubt it.

Lastly, it isn't that Americans can't ever leave the United States. But to really be an American is to know and understand that where ever you go, you will always be an American, and in your heart, America will always be home.

I could move to Germany or France or Mexico or Costa Rica tomorrow, I could live there the rest of my life. But I'll always be an American, and it will always be more important for this country to do well before any other country. Even if there are cheaper and more beautiful countries in the world.

I don't expect immigrants to lose their love for their own country. But anyone that wants to make this country their home, should be respectful of the social norms existing in the country.

Many people feel like us Americans should change to adapt to the influx of immigrants into this country. They believe we should learn multiple languages in schools, and that we should learn about cultures and be accepting of them. Next thing you know they'll have us wearing headscarves. I don't understand why we are so opposed to requiring people that want to be AMERICANS, to become AMERICANS. This diversity police crap is going too far.

Read this article and tell me how important diversity is.
FrontPage Magazine - Western Muslims' Racist Rape Spree (http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=6161 - broken link)

Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,090 times
This is OK in must area's, but if not look out!
Must America's dislike this prefer English!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 AM

Which takes me back to the original comment on Post #1. But nobody wants to respect the way this country used to be. Everyone just wants to come over here and take over... It is sad, very sad.. And it was a contributing factor on why my husband and I left SoCal.. I was sick and tired of going to the grocery store, not being able to find an item and then not being able to get help because the entire staff did not speak English... This is an outrage. Thomas Jefferson has just rolled over in his grave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I didn't say the Spanish language caused the divide, I said it contributes to the divide and it is a NON-ISSUE. The Spanish language being as widespread in this country is a constant reminder of our illegal immigrant problem. If it wasn't for the language barrier issues I don't think nearly as many people would be so up-in-arms against Mexicans and Immigration.

I merely mentioned fixing the Spanish language question as something that we could easily fix that doesn't CHANGE America in any fundamental way. Unlike healthcare reform, wars, guns, and immigration itself.

Do you think there is no such thing as regulation? The fact that you say in LA that Spanish is outpacing English in the media is proof in itself what a problem the Spanish language has become.

This country is NOT a free market, we have NEVER been a free market. We only apply free market principles that we so choose. Most of the market is heavily regulated for the protection of the consumer and other entities.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 AM

ALTHOUGH THE WORD UNAPPROPRIATE EXISTS I BELIEVE THE WORD IS INAPPROPRIATE. I HAVE BEEN REPEATEDLY CORRECTED ON THE MISUSE OF THE WORDING HERE. Not sure if I agree but whatever...http://dictionary.die.net/unappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 AM

277 posts, read 368,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907
You telling people that English should be their "primary language" is hypocritical. You can't tell people what to speak and how much of it. What are we going to do, police people at work, the park, at home to see what they are speaking. 99.99% of the time when English speaking only people hear others speak other lanuages, be it Spanish, Korean or French, it's usually a private conversation. Because if someone is speaking to you and they know you only speak English, I am VERY sure they try their HARDEST to speak english so you can both understand each other. And for you to say there is only room for one lanuage sounds absurd to me. The United States, one lanuage?? That has NEVER happened here. The Indians were speaking their own native languages. In the West, Spanish was the main Language, until the US took over those lands from the Spaniards and Mexicans. New Orleans back way back, French was the main language. To think English has been the exclusive language of this great country, just isn't correct. And, the US is soooo arrogant, that we think we are too good to learn other languages. Like other languages are beneath us or something. I think it's sad. You go to other countries and people speak 2, 3 , 4, even 5 languages. So I can't understand why you feel so threaten because someone speaks another language. If you want to be more successful in this country, especially if you are a business owner, I suggest you learn basic spanish. Trust me, it will increase your profits. In the end, the only language that counts is Money. And BTW, that quote is from someone who had no problem with blacks drinking from separate fountains, and didn't help women earn the right to vote. Those times were different. Remember, we are now in the 21st century, and many things have changed.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,090 times
Yes it is bull**** and should not happen!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
More racist nonsense. So now it's a crime to speak Spanish or any other foreign language in public??? Just because the OP is ignorant and can only speak one language doesn't mean she needs to impose her insecurities on the rest of us. This is scary. The fascists are coming out and demanding that foreign languages, foreign cultures, different religions are all bad. You guys are acting like Nazis not Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies