Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
So why is there a big push for people to learn Spanish? Because of the overwhelming amount of Spanish speaking people entering the country. We are not learning Spanish so we can trade with Mexico, we are not learning Spanish so we can move to Mexico, we are learning Spanish so we can talk to the Mexicans that are moving here.

Spanish is the 3rd most popular language in the world

You know the world. The big round thing that the United States is a part of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Abduction by the Mexican Gastapo, and forced to learn Spanish.
The people that fight the hardest are the ones most likely to succeed.

Americans have become too indifferent and accepting of everything that goes on in the world. We are told to be tolerant of everyone else and their cultures. While at the same time, those people are taught to be intollerant of ours.

After a revolution the most radical ideas almost always float to the top. Because radicals are almost always the cause of the revolution to start with. People with radical ideas have the most to benefit from a change to the government, and the most to lose if things do not change.

Americans seem to be naive to what the world is really like, because we are constantly force-fed this idea that everyone is like us. Which is simply not true.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Guess what, this isn't 50 years ago.

The world moves on, those who are successful in life, move with it.
The others whine, complain and blame.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Americans have become too indifferent and accepting of everything that goes on in the world. We are told to be tolerant of everyone else and their cultures. While at the same time, those people are taught to be intollerant of ours.

Americans seem to be naive to what the world is really like, because we are constantly force-fed this idea that everyone is like us. Which is simply not true.
If anything, the world is becoming more like America. One of this country's biggest exports is produced not far from me -- Hollywood. American TV shows and films are flooded to the world, who laps them up.

Where I'm from in Europe, people now speak close to fluent English in part because of their constant immersion in American TV shows.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:03 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
My point exactly and the reason for this thread.. very good. Thanks for the support and validation.. If I moved to France I would expect to go learn French because it is their language. I wouldn't expect the French to put English on their cereal boxes and start an English class in their colleges... I would respect their country, their culture and adapt to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They should be required to learn how to speak and interact with those that reside in such. The base language IS English, and those who wish to come here should at least learn how to do the minimum to obtain normal relations with its citizens.

I honestly do not care what people choose to speak outside of this aspect, but they should KNOW how to interact outside of their native tongue. We aren't talking about tourist at a certain specific focal point relying on the adaption of the language for such, we are talking about an INFILTRATION of our nations base cultural language being pushed aside to fit a demand that a NATION adjust to fit an influx of people who have no respect for this country and its base.

If I planned on living in a country that did not speak English, I would learn its language. Not simply because their laws may demand, but out of a respect for those there and a simple fact of basic wisdom that demands one adjust to fit their surroundings. Those that do not are ignorant, disrespectful, and worthless bags of flesh who do not deserve the air they breathe. Sounds harsh? Live a while in an area infiltrated by the garbage that thinks otherwise and you will change your tune. These aren't misunderstood people, they are garbage that needs to be purged from the nation because they do not respect anything in it.

Last edited by Raelyn28; 11-14-2009 at 11:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I seriously don't understand why lots of Americans have this aversion to other languages. In most countries on this Earth multiple languages and a bilingual society are just an accepted way of life. There's nothing wrong with it, we live in a world of many different languages.

Seems like it's just American redneck culture to hate on other languages. Nothing more, nothing less.
I've been told that a lot of rednecks speak in tongues.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Excuse me but I started the thread and I don't appreciate the fact that you have put words in my mouth. I never said that I didn't appreciate or accept other languages. I am facinated by other people, cultures and languages and I enjoy diversity.. I just believe that if one moves to this country on a permanent basis then that person should learn English NOT GET RID OF THEIR LANGUAGE. My issue with the language problem is the lack of respect. I lived in SoCaL for two decades and I was made to feel like I HAD to learn Spanish in order to get a job, communicate at the grocery store or understand the Medical Assistant in the Dr's office. That is a tragedy to those of us who were born in this country and it is offensive. Think about it and put yourself in another's shoes instead of your own.

The fact that you would argue this point and take everything out of context proves that you just don't give a "d" about me or anyone else who is offended here. Lack of respect, lack of empathy and selfishness is the problem in our country today... It is a sad situation when someone has to move to another state (in the United States of America) in order to communicate in English..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I seriously don't understand why lots of Americans have this aversion to other languages. In most countries on this Earth multiple languages and a bilingual society are just an accepted way of life. There's nothing wrong with it, we live in a world of many different languages.

Seems like it's just American redneck culture to hate on other languages. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:45 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
The people that fight the hardest are the ones most likely to succeed.

After a revolution the most radical ideas almost always float to the top. Because radicals are almost always the cause of the revolution to start with. People with radical ideas have the most to benefit from a change to the government, and the most to lose if things do not change.

First of all, americans are not anymore tolerant of other cultures. america just has a lot of immigrants, that does not mean tolerance of other cultures.

the rest of the world has absorbed a lot of american culture (hollywood, franchises etc) and even speak english as a second or third language, americans do not do the same. but this is more an international arena of business and modernizing. for instance, no one wears flowing gowns etc everyday. a lot of western modern fare is just more practical so the world is implementing it, though some of it is junk as well but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

get your facts straight. and americans do not think everyone is like americans. what a crock of baloney.

Last edited by rory00; 11-15-2009 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
get your facts straight. and americans do not think everyone is like americans. what a crock of baloney.
Ehh? Did I not have my facts straight? Our media is constantly telling people to be tolerant of other cultures. Do you think the Iranians are telling their people the same thing?

Quote:
First of all, americans are not anymore tolerant of other cultures. america just has a lot of immigrants, that does not mean tolerance of other cultures.
I totally agree with you on this statement, we are not TOLERANT of other cultures within our own lives. On the other hand we are very ACCEPTING of what goes on in our own country when it doesn't actually affect our own lives directly.

Those people that seem to be accepting may feel empathy for the minorities and immigrants, but they certainly don't want to live anywhere near them. So they sit in their McMansions in their gated communities with all their white friends, pretending how much better they are than everyone else because they think they are being "tolerant".

Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Lou Dobbs es que usted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies