Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 AM

301 posts, read 1,510,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What is American food? Fast food? Since the USA is a country that has had immigrants from its independence, each wave of immigration from each country bought with it its own ethnic food. Some of that food is now considered American food!
American food:
Subway, Popeyes, Dairy Queen, Fatburger, Blimpie, Arbys, KFC, Jack in the Box

Foreign food:
Taco Bell, Del Taco, El Pollo Loco, Quiznos, Panda Express, Long John Silvers, Pizza Hut, Sbarros, International House of Pancakes, and Burger King (because they promote monarchy in the name of their business).

If you are going to live in American, eat American foods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Of course, there's the "language of food!" What should we do about it?

Old 08-25-2009, 01:46 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Hmmm... Couldn't you just leave it at "we don't agree"?

OK, I'll rephrase it. I apologize. It was an unnecessary ending comment that seemed a bit aggressive - which it was not meant to be.
Thanks for pointing it out to me.

I'll keep in mind the broad theory about my freedom in this country...

-- I don't want to pay my taxes anymore, and I have the liberty to chose not to so screw the IRS...
-- I don't give a hoot stopping for red lights, paying for parking tickets or obeying any laws, since the constitution gives me the liberty to have my own free choice so screw the police force too..
-- In fact, I won't give a hoot about anything that structures society anymore! Its my free choice to cause mayhem and no one can do a thing about it!!! Its my constitutional right!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Check who is the best in Spelling Bee competition.... don't see many "real" americans,... just immigrants lol

The winner was Kavya Shivashankar.[1]

The standings were as follows:[3]

Indian kids are hugely encouraged by their parents to participate in games like this and spelling bee is like their American Idol. Another thing which is very popular with Indians is the guiness book of world records. There is constant encouragement to get your name in this book, which no one I know even bothers about elsewhere.

English is the second official language in India, so no wonder they know their english. They also have excellent grammar since they still function on old British english left behind from the colonial rule.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 AM

45 posts, read 218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
American food:

Foreign food:
Taco Bell, Del Taco, El Pollo Loco, Quiznos, Panda Express, Long John Silvers, Pizza Hut, Sbarros, International House of Pancakes, and Burger King (because they promote monarchy in the name of their business).

I don't mean to sound like an elitist, but I couldn't really think of any "American" foods that didn't taste terrible. I recently had relatives from Taiwan and Hong Kong visit and I wanted to give them "American food" - they hated it! And I would have to agree with them - the street food back east tastes 5 times better, is 3 times cheaper, and is 10 times healthier.

Best American food (besides a fancy steakhouse, etc) - the elusive illegal hot dog carts outside of Staples Center. Bacon wrapped hot dogs for an inflation-fueled $4.. mmm. makes those Clipper losses go down a bit easier.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:24 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
OK, I'll rephrase it. I apologize. It was an unnecessary ending comment that seemed a bit aggressive - which it was not meant to be.
Thanks for pointing it out to me.

I'll keep in mind the broad theory about my freedom in this country...

-- I don't want to pay my taxes anymore, and I have the liberty to chose not to so screw the IRS...
-- I don't give a hoot stopping for red lights, paying for parking tickets or obeying any laws, since the constitution gives me the liberty to have my own free choice so screw the police force too..
-- In fact, I won't give a hoot about anything that structures society anymore! Its my free choice to cause mayhem and no one can do a thing about it!!! Its my constitutional right!

Apology accepted. Thanks!

As to those other things. Now we really are descending into the absurd. I'm not a Constitutional lawyer, but I believe the Constitution -- as a law document -- in and of itself implies that you should obey laws, even those not explicitly defined in the Constitution. (We may be a tad on the Libertarian side here in America, but we're not Anarchists!) Laws, when enacted, must pass the Constitutional test. Smart legislators take constitutionality into account during the bill process so that they won't be challenged in court after passage into law.

So, as to English-only and forcing this and that onto immigrants, it will take enacting new legislation that either passes the test of constitutionality or directly amends the Constitution itself. However, my view is that the Constitution does not have such rules for a reason -- it's not the government's job to define what is American in terms of culture, what language each of us should speak, or even what language should be the one of the land. The Founding Fathers -- understanding that America would be a place to welcome those disenchanted with or oppressed by other lands, and a country of evolving ideas and directions -- had true vision and genius in this regard.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
American food:

Foreign food:

The American culture is based on freedom. That freedom includes the choice what to eat. BTW, everything on your list is fast food.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM

251 posts, read 825,325 times
The REAL American food, it's food of First nations (Aboriginals) lol

Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Just what is American food? Almost everything we eat, with the exception of Turkey and some game birds, has some foreign origin or another.
Eh, lots of countries are like that. Coffee, chocolate, pasta, spices, fruit ... these things have traveled the world, along with new techniques of preservation and preparation. I doubt most cultures cook exclusively with native foods and methods.

If I had to pick my favorite American food, I'd go with barbecue.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 AM

19,491 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The American culture is based on freedom. That freedom includes the choice what to eat. BTW, everything on your list is fast food.
Quote:
American food:

Foreign food:

What??!!! Go without my crunchy tacos ?
No can do.
IHOP? Love the pancakes and the carafes of coffee [means no cold coffee or looking for available waitress to re-fill my cup]
Pizza Hut ?
Burger King?
Quiznos ?

Geesh, Louise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies