Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,224,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I said speak English or planes are leaving daily if they don't like it. Speak English when working with the public!!
I guess we can see just exactly who is making demands.

But you still can't provide a single ounce of proof to back up your statement that immigrants are demanding that we learn to speak their languages.

That's what your typical racism looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,086,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post

But you still can't provide a single ounce of proof to back up your statement that immigrants are demanding that we learn to speak their languages.

That's right! I never demanded that anyone learn to speak one of the four languages in addition to English that I speak. That said, I enjoy using them with people who do speak them. If we can't exercise that level of *free speech* in America, then we might as well pack it in right now, 'cause it's over....

Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,450,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post

There you go AGAIN with the racism BS. I noted you didn't respond to your outrageous accusations I pointed out before. Typical. That's what typical stupidity and ignorance looks like.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,224,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
There you go AGAIN with the racism BS. I noted you didn't respond to your outrageous accusations I pointed out before. Typical. That's what typical stupidity and ignorance looks like.
Lashing out in anger is never impressive.

You made the claim that immigrants are demanding that we learn their languages. You made that claim first. I asked you to back it up.

You have failed.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,008,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Como?

La Ley- y la Historia del Estados Unidos- se dice que su palavras (arriba) estan errado.

En totalmente!

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-27-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907
And yet, many of the PA Dutch who helped found this country in pre-Revolutionary days were still speaking German as their first language in 1907. Our soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War and our farmers who fed the Revolutionary War soldiers spoke German which, for some, was their only language. Thirty three percent of Pennsylvanians spoke German at the time of the Revolutionary War despite the fact that most of those families had been in here for more than two generations -- some of them for well over two generations.
Pennsylvania German language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,296,916 times
When my grandparents came over they spoke Polish and Russian. Did the country have to learn those languages? Nope.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,008,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
When my grandparents came over they spoke Polish and Russian. Did the country have to learn those languages? Nope.

Didn't have to, but many did.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
But most likely they lived in communities where they spoke those languages. Your grandfathers most likely learned English first and better than your grandmothers because they had to go out to work and your grandmothers stayed home and talked only to women of the same nationality. Your parents learned to speak English at school, likely speaking Polish or Russian at home and English everywhere else. And you probably speak only English.

That's the pattern for learning English that has occurred over the years with all immigrants (except the PA Dutch) and it is the pattern being followed by Spanish speaking immigrants, legal or illegal.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,075,367 times
Yeah the Patuxet made the Pilgrims learn English before they would feed them at the 1st Thanksgiving. {Oh wait}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies