Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I was kidding.
About what?

And, are you going to tell us all your idea / definition of how much income makes one "rich"????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
About what?

And, are you going to tell us all your idea / definition of how much income makes one "rich"????

I was kidding about more services. I think asking the rich to pay more is absurd, why shopuld they ? Do they consume more resources? By the way in my neck of the woods an annual income of about $1 million is what I would consider rich. But that is subjective.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
But I'm sure it costs the IRS about a hundred dollars to process a return, so if the amount the working poor pay is very small, we end up spending more to collect it then we get.
So humor them. If they actually think they're being productive citizens and doing their part, perhaps that will spur them on to bigger and better things and make it true. I say, tax 'em!

In any viable society, only those truly physically, developmentally or psychiatrically disabled should be considered for assistance up to, and including, if required, a free ride. Almost everyone can and should contribute something.

For the record, illegal alien status is NOT a recognizable disability, nor is failure to learn the predominant language of the land!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Tax the producers, tax the people that create, tax the people that actually make this country run...that is a great idea.....Penalize people for being PRODUCTIVE!!!!!! I'm am clearly middle class blue collar but I cannot justify in my mind that we need to tax people based on their success or willingness to sacrifice to get ahead. I think we have it all wrong but redistribution of wealth through taxation and anything else (Crap and Trade) is a VITAL part of socializing this country. Wake up America before it is too late because when the MAJORITY see that the MINORITY in this country is not working but still receiving, then the MINORITY will become the MAJORITY as more people sit on their arses and refuse to be productive......
Do you believe that the majority of rich people are "PRODUCTIVE"?

Maybe you need to define your terms.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:31 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Willl the rich Democrats be included in that tax increase? H*ll everyone hussein obama appointed did not pay their taxes. hussein obama is all up in GE's game and they made billions last year and paid no taxes.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,742 times
Why should the rich pay more taxes? They earned the money they have so it should be their decision, not the governments as to how they should give that money up for causes. Since the biggest donors are the rich to many programs, school foundations etc. Why do the Libs always complain about the rich? I think they are jealous personally

Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Most of the really big fortunes were not earned but are the result of a swindle of some sort. The term "idle rich" is not a fiction. I believe they should be taxed enough to force them to put themselves and their money back to work.

Institute a high deduction progressive income tax on all income from all sources would return our federal tax system to a fair basis by putting the burden of operating the Federal government on the people that own the country instead of the people that just work in this country.

Yeah, the rich should pay more taxes. A lot more taxes.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
that is the nonsense that the government spews to collect more money. government cannot generate money so they have to find a way to tax money or print money. they have mismanaged things so badly that they are now doing both!!

there are a lot of so-called rich people who generate jobs through manufacturing and small businesses. if there are rich crooks, they should be in jail. if there are poor crooks, they should be in jail. otherwise, everyone should be taxed at a percentage of their earnings equally and the rich would automatically be providing more money proportionally. there shouldn't be tax dodges for anyone. i am tired of people like buffett whining about how they don't get to pay their fair share. cut out the tax dodges and they will get to pay their fair share. it is ridiculous to make a charge that the rich are swindlers, or you could say the same about the poor being swindlers because they are just waiting for services from the government on the backs of working taxpayers. (neither statement would be completely accurate because there are some swindlers in all classes of the population and the legal system needs to get on top of weeding them out).

Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Cutting back, by the highest % of the population, (those making under $250,000/year) is exactly why our economy went into a recession! Increase the spending power of the largest group of our population and there will be more jobs, products sold, etc.........

You have economics exactly 180 degrees out of phase wrong.

1. If you give consumers, who do not employ anyone, $1,000 to spend, that money provides a minor short term bump in spending and is gone. If you give employers (or the wealthy who employ people), they invest that money in expanding thier buisness, which creates jobs. Those same people who have been hired by the buisnessman have money thousands of times over (a paycheck) with which to stimulate the economy. A tax cut to the poor is dead money. A tax cut to buisnesses and investors stimulates the economy.

2. If you tax $1000 at essentially 100%, the government gets $1,000. If you cut taxes to individuals dramatically (say 20%), there is alot more money in the private sector which can be used to buy things. So when that thousand dollars is spent on a washer and drier, that encourages more production and sales on the part of that vendor, who in turn hires more people. That thousand dollars circulates through the economy thousands of times, resulting in stimulation of the economy and jobs growth, while increasing governenment tax revenues. That samd $1,000 is taxed thousands of times at 20%, resulting in large upticks in tax revenue.

Giving money to the poor in "stimulus" and increasing taxes on the people who actually create jobs is a recipe for disaster. We are seeing that policy unfold as we speak. Sadly, it will only get worse, as history has shown us only tax cuts stimulate economies.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most of the really big fortunes were not earned but are the result of a swindle of some sort. The term "idle rich" is not a fiction. I believe they should be taxed enough to force them to put themselves and their money back to work.

Institute a high deduction progressive income tax on all income from all sources would return our federal tax system to a fair basis by putting the burden of operating the Federal government on the people that own the country instead of the people that just work in this country.

Yeah, the rich should pay more taxes. A lot more taxes.
This is really what liberals believe. The wealthy just stole or inherited thier money. Nobody who is rich got an education, worked hard, sacrificed, and started a buisness. The fact is that only a small percentage of the wealthy inherited thier money and most are "self made".

No one "owns the country". We are all citizens. There are property taxes already for land owners.

The rich already pay essentially ALL the US personal income tax collected. The bottom 55% don't pay anything at all.

When the taxes become high, the rich cut back to a point where they are comfortable consumers, but not able to hire anyone or expand thier buisness. This causes the "poor" and middle class to lose thier jobs.

Who employs you?

Here is a link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...renextdoor.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies