Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what your opinions are of Chuck Hagel or if youve heard of him. He is a senator from Nebraska who has been fairly out-spoken on Iraq.

I think alot of peoplem dont realize the political risk is has taken by being out-spoken on this issue consider his electorate in Nebraska by and large is very, very pro-Iraq war. The people of this state would rather this war go on for decades then question a commander and chief's integrity.

I have lived in Nebraska for 8 months and people here for the most part are very, very much anti-Chuck Hagel. Especially the very, very conservative part of the state which is anything outside of the eastern half of Omaha.

In my opinion, he is overly conservative but on this issue he is right about the Iraqi situation. I am moving from Nebraska this summer but if I were here in 2008 I would vote for the guy just because is able to go against what the vast majority of Nebraskans opinions are on Iraq and do he what he feels is best for the country.

Even though the country as a whole is very much opposed to the Iraq war going on and on. Nebraskans overall are very, very much pro-war Iraq war/mess for the most part.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-27-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 01:39 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I have been personally impressed by Hagel's stand on the war. One of the magazines had an interesting, but uninspiring article comparing Hagel and McCain as two 'Nam veterans with differing perspectives.

I don't know about his state politics, but in the hearings I've seen or heard, and they are few, he's been riveting in his honesty--and his opinion stands firm in word and vote.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:50 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I have been personally impressed by Hagel's stand on the war. One of the magazines had an interesting, but uninspiring article comparing Hagel and McCain as two 'Nam veterans with differing perspectives.

I don't know about his state politics, but in the hearings I've seen or heard, and they are few, he's been riveting in his honesty--and his opinion stands firm in word and vote.

I don't know if it was the same article but I read a McCain/Hagek comparison in a newspaper, I agree, Hagel came across as a man of honesty and integrity. I don't even care so much any more about policy anymore, what I perceive as integrity will get my vote, I still wish Bob Kerrey would run, maybe there's something in Nebraska's air

Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 PM

451 posts, read 835,457 times
Chuck Hagel is a disgrace and I feel sorry for Nebraskans. I have a lot respect for Nebraska so I doubt he will last much longer.

RINO beneath contempt!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:19 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,195 times
He's an idiot, he confirmed it yesterday. If he wants to be a lib, he needs to switch parties.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Well , he has a very fically conservative record, but in spite of that hes one of the medias favorite republicans right now because of his outspoken stance on the war! Every dog has his day!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:31 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
He's a consistent conservative, unlike the neo-con fools in the White House. He believes that American power should only be used when it is in our own country's interest. This used to be conservative and a pretty uncontroversial foreign policy stance within the Republican Party. I'm no even Republican and I think that it's a great policy!

But for some reason Bush and his neo-con fundamentalists came into office and thought they could change the world with American power. His policy in Iraq is very Wilsonian actually; a very liberal interventionist stance. Bush and his neo-con water carriers constantly cite how many Iraqis they have "liberated." My response - WHO CARES?!?! Our military is for OUR INTERESTS, not those of Iraqis. If our interests converge and we can help them incidentally while we are carrying out US interests. Fine. But clearly a free Iraq, aligned with Iran is not in our interests. You don't have to go to the Kennedy School to figure that one out. But that doesn't stop the morons in this administration.

Hagel is a traditional conservative who looks out for US interests first and foremost. Bush and his cult of personality within the Republican Party have thrown that away. Sad, but a big part of the reason the GOP is increasingly becoming a fringe party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies