Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,746,901 times

Advertisements

A judge has to decide whether to send a 17 year old home to her Muslim family after she converted to Chirstianity and ran away in fear of punishment or worse from her family.
One would have to think that sending her home might amount to a death sentence knowing how the "peaceful" religion of Islam often results in homour killings,
On the other hand, what if a 17 year old Christian decided to convert to Islam, Judaism or join the Catholic church and had the same fears and fled their home?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090821/ap_on_re_us/us_runaway_convert (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:17 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,083,793 times
If a 17 year old Christian decided to convert to Islam, Judaism or join the Catholic church she wouldn't have anything to worry about. Now Muslim to Christian........possible death sentance.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Well, she could be a martyr for her new religion.
Isn't that considered honorable?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM

870 posts, read 1,625,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, she could be a martyr for her new religion.
Isn't that considered honorable?
yes....as long as she blows up herself in the process of blowing up others she would be considered a martyr.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
I hope someone helps her become a free citizen (there is a special legal term for this that I have forgotten) independant of her family. IIRC in most Muslim cultures women and childern are considered to be property of the male head of the household. I would prosecute the father as a slaver.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,420,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A judge has to decide whether to send a 17 year old home to her Muslim family after she converted to Chirstianity and ran away in fear of punishment or worse from her family.
One would have to think that sending her home might amount to a death sentence knowing how the "peaceful" religion of Islam often results in homour killings,
On the other hand, what if a 17 year old Christian decided to convert to Islam, Judaism or join the Catholic church and had the same fears and fled their home?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090821/ap_on_re_us/us_runaway_convert (broken link)
I have been watching this case and I agree with what your saying about sending her home however it also seems posible that she has been taken in by a wackaloon group rather then a mainline christian group. I personally hope they keep her here, let her become an emancipated adult.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,023,902 times
Quote:

Fla. judge could decide runaway convert's fate - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090821/ap_on_re_us/us_runaway_convert - broken link)
Well KevK, I know how you feel about judges prejudging the facts of the case or the law (see thread on closing courtroom) but the number of honor killings a percentage of the Muslim population in the U.S. makes them exceedingly rare at best so...

There are a lot of reasons why kids runaway, and there are an equal number of bogus claims as to why they do when they are confronted with going back. I would suggest that a careful review of the families history, their testimony at trial, a review of social worker/psychologist interviews with the various parties, and the pertinent case law should be the deciding factor not claims based upon newspaper accounts and sweeping generalizations and stereotypes about the family's religion, background or ethnicity.

Of course if folks just want to have a good ole muslim bashing discussion, don't let me stand in the way.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:

Fla. judge could decide runaway convert's fate - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090821/ap_on_re_us/us_runaway_convert - broken link)

Hey- Islam is the religion of peace. Haven't you heard? She will be fine. Christians are the evil force in the world, not Islam. People just get a little too upset about a few ritual stonings, beheadings, and hangings. Lighten up a little.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:40 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,420,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey- Islam is the religion of peace. Haven't you heard? She will be fine. Christians are the evil force in the world, not Islam. People just get a little too upset about a few ritual stonings, beheadings, and hangings. Lighten up a little.
The christian religion she is involved with, is not a normal group. What kind of responsible church would encourage a 17 year old to run away from home to begin with??

If she was in fear for her life, the rational thing to do would have been to go to the police in her home town, not run away to Florida and I would think a responsible minister would have told he that.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The christian religion she is involved with, is not a normal group. What kind of responsible church would encourage a 17 year old to run away from home to begin with??

If she was in fear for her life, the rational thing to do would have been to go to the police in her home town, not run away to Florida and I would think a responsible minister would have told he that.

She is a minor. The law would return her to her family. I guess if they want to kill her, that is okay. I mean, she is just a girl, what rights should she have anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies