Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Christian, do you agree with the AZ pastor's sermon?
Yes 6 10.71%
No 47 83.93%
Somewhat.... 2 3.57%
I'm not sure... 0 0%
Other [in comments] 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:55 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
What? Have you heard of any mainstream christians who have advocated the death of gays and Obama? Not even James Dobson has said that. I've been going to church--conservative, baptist, evangelical churches--for over ten years and not once have I heard anyone say that.
Never said they were "mainstream", now did I.

They are, however, still Christians, and represent a significant portion of US citizenry.

Ad up all the ministers who preach this message, including TV Evangicals, then add up their parishioners and TV/Book/Radio audiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Pastor Anderson's wife is a spitfire (to put it kindly) read some of her blog entries. She sure is a hater! I feel bad for the kids.

ARE THEY ALL YOURS ?!??

Old 08-23-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"...twisted and perverse forms of Christianity..." No. That would not be Christianity. One might live in a church. That does not make one a Christian. No more than living in a garage would make one a car.

Example: Jeremiah Wright. He calls himself a Christian, and those who listen to him (Obama did for 20 years) apparently call themselves Christian. But what Wright preaches, is not Christianity. I wouldn't even dignify it be calling it a "perverse form" of Christianity, because to say it is a "form", is to say that it is Christianity. It is not.
Considering there are over a thousand sects of Christianity, in North America alone, I think it's quite safe to say you have no authority to judge who is Christian and who is not, or who is preaching Christianity and who is not.

A belief in, and active worship of, Jesus Christ is the only litmus test neccessary, or even rational.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
What? Have you heard of any mainstream christians who have advocated the death of gays and Obama? Not even James Dobson has said that. I've been going to church--conservative, baptist, evangelical churches--for over ten years and not once have I heard anyone say that.
I agree with you. Pastor Anderson and his followers are religious fanatics. They do not represent the vast majority of Christians. He and his wife are filled with hate. They will be judged one day. God may have to think hard on this one....

Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally posted by AxisMundi

They are, however, still Christians, and represent a significant portion of US citizenry.

Ad up all the ministers who preach this message, including TV Evangicals, then add up their parishioners and TV/Book/Radio audiences.
Yep, add them all up and they're still a small, fanatical minority out of a very big faith. Most christians think homosexuality is a sin, but are nowhere near this guy.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Same with me and my family. In Southern CA, we went to an Evangelical church for years. When the pastor moved, we began visiting other churches, and even went out to Shadow Mountain Community Church in El Cajon for a while where Dr. David Jeremiah is senior Pastor (also on radio, "The Turning Point" radio ministry) and he is very good. This is a pretty good sized church (some might say a "mega church"). David Jeremiah has never taught such nonsense. Does he believe homosexuality to be sin? Of course. It's what the Bible says. But no one advocates violence or killing of homosexuals. What is taught is (and this goes for all sinners — which is all of us) "Love the sinner, but hate the sin". The greatest Commandment is "Love one another".

Here in Ohio where we live now, we have also been to several different churches, a Baptist for about 2 years, a Wesleyan for probably 5 or 6 years, and a few others, including a Methodist and another Community Church. None have taught such a thing.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Yep, add them all up and they're still a small, fanatical minority out of a very big faith. Most christians think homosexuality is a sin, but are nowhere near this guy.
A vocal minority (and note I did NOT say majority) certainly.

However, they are still Christians.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Probably another Conservative closet gay like Ted Haggard or Mark Foley.

Ted Haggard, the fervently Conservative anti-gay minister turned out has been involved in gay sex for at least three years (despite being married and father of five).

Mark Foley, another Conservative Republican hypocrite with an anti-gay agenda, attempted to seduce male teenage House "pages" on the Internet.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

They are, however, still Christians, and represent a significant portion of US citizenry..
Not all who claim to be a Christian, are. You need to look at the fruits they produce in word and deed.

Quote:
Considering there are over a thousand sects of Christianity, in North America alone, I think it's quite safe to say you have no authority to judge who is Christian and who is not, or who is preaching Christianity and who is not.

Agreed, but there are indications of who may be a true Christian. (see above)

A belief in, and active worship of, Jesus Christ is the only litmus test neccessary, or even rational.
There's the crux of it -- "a belief in" -- ("active worship" means nothing. Anyone can go through the motions)
How can anyone know what another believes in, except to look at what that belief produces in a life.

Quote:
A vocal minority (and note I did NOT say majority) certainly.

So, why are we all discussing the statement of a minority that does not even appear to be Christian? Why start such a thread in this forum? Why not take it to Religion?

However, they are still Christians.
You said, "I think it's quite safe to say you have no authority to judge who is Christian and who is not," and then you conclude that they are still Christians.

That's contradictory. Which is it?

my comments bolded

Old 08-23-2009, 11:58 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Its pretty simple, he taps in to peoples complaints about the administration and justifies their anger saying "God says its ok"

Left wingers would love it if some Christian preacher said Rush Limbaugh was th devil and should be stoned.

Loss of compromise in America.

The only thing that matters is whether I prosper or not. Not my neighbor or family but me and me alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies