Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times

Advertisements

i know i know they keep telling us the police will take care of it.
in view of the horrible events that have occurred on college campuses, are the authorities really on top of it?
herding students all into a locked room for easy execution by the crazy does that make good sense?
i was in a government office and the workers were herded into the center of a large well lite room with lots of wall to wall glass facing the back where the crazy was shooting from.
we were not allowed to leave for 3 hours.
thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
you can in utah.

what about normal people with guns? does that scare you?
Normal people who own guns don't scare me. But anybody who carries a gun (outside of law enforcement) freaks me out.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM

58,994 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Why would somebody want emotionally charged hormoned fueled students packing in class? How would that add to a learning environment. I bet there aren't many Profs that would like their students to be packing.

At what age does this emotionally charged hormoned fueled condition cease? Whatever age you decide should be the age for enlisting into the armed service. After all we cannot have emotionally charged hormoned fueled people carrying guns and defending our country.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,542 times
Seems like part of the issue is: Who makes policy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
At the campus of the school I attended guns and other weapons were banned because the president and board of trustees did not want them on their grounds. It was a private school and as such they have every right to decide what they want and do not want on their private property. Their logic was that having weapons on campus is disruptive to the learning environment. If you do not like a college's rules about firearms then do not go onto their property.
I think it's reasonable to place the responsibilty and the authority firmly on the shoulders of the campus policy makers.
IIRC , that was the case at Virginia Tech.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why would somebody want emotionally charged hormoned fueled students packing in class? How would that add to a learning environment. I bet there aren't many Profs that would like their students to be packing.

At what age does this emotionally charged hormoned fueled condition cease? Whatever age you decide should be the age for enlisting into the armed service. After all we cannot have emotionally charged hormoned fueled people carrying guns and defending our country.
Tried to rep you, Quick, but you know the drill. Somebody rep this person for me, please.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Tried to rep you, Quick, but you know the drill. Somebody rep this person for me, please.
Done.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I bet there aren't many Profs that would like their students to be packing.
Exactly. Try telling a student, who is expecting to graduate in two days and whose parents are already driving in from 500 miles away, that he isn't going to graduate because he didn't pass your class. That's definitely a situation in which a gun should be present.

Last edited by helenejen; 08-23-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Comparing a battle field where emotion is a neccessity to a classroom is about as absurd as it gets. It's why 18 years can get you into the military but not into a bar.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:27 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Done.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Also, can you imagine the initial confusion of trying to figure out which of the armed people was the actual instigator of gun-related violence? How many people would be killed from the confusion alone? Yeah, guns on campus sounds like a great idea.
You make an excellent point. Besides, I've yet to meet any person that I think is mature enough and intelligent enough to carry a loaded gun. Cops included, but I have little choice in that matter. But kids fresh out of HS with loaded guns? Talk about a recipe for disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies