Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:30 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Simply not true. What in the world makes you think that there's isn't "strong evidence"??? Do you seriously believe that most of the world's climate scientists are simply "conjecturing"???? Absurd.

I find it absolutely hilarious that posters on an internet forum think they know more than climate scientists about climate change. As though they've discovered some scientific secret nobody else knows about.

The people who think that there's no "evidence" for climate change are like the "birthers": No matter how much "evidence" is presented, it's never enough. And the reason it's never enough is because it's actually not about "evidence." It's about an ideological resistance to anything that even remotely challenges their world view.

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | A Grist Special Series | Grist

Well here is a little really funny information. I know several of James Hansen's colleages at the Univ of Iowa physics department. He arrived long after I left the U. They say he is full of crap and his stance on "climate change" is an embarrassment to the department. This is the department that helped design the Hubbel telescope via Lou Frank and had James Van Allen as chair for many years. So I guess I know a little more than the average idiot. Am I an expert in climate? No. But I can sure as hell read scientific literature and tell what is a decent study and what is crap. The "science" behind global warming is crap.

Do me a favor. Just do a little reading of legitimate science on the fossil record of "climate change". If you really read it, you will realize very quickly that this is a big hoax. The worst thing is that it is not even an original hoax- they tried it once before and it was debunked. A good scam can be used over and over again on a new generation of suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well here is a little really funny information. I know several of James Hansen's colleages at the Univ of Iowa physics department. He arrived long after I left the U. They say he is full of crap and his stance on "climate change" is an embarrassment to the department. This is the department that helped design the Hubbel telescope via Lou Frank and had James Van Allen as chair for many years. So I guess I know a little more than the average idiot. Am I an expert in climate? No. But I can sure as hell read scientific literature and tell what is a decent study and what is crap. The "science" behind global warming is crap.

Do me a favor. Just do a little reading of legitimate science on the fossil record of "climate change". If you really read it, you will realize very quickly that this is a big hoax. The worst thing is that it is not even an original hoax- they tried it once before and it was debunked. A good scam can be used over and over again on a new generation of suckers.
His buddies at Iowa? He's been gone for 40 years. How about some names for these "buddies." Here is what the University thinks of him

Quote:
distinguished alumni award

James E. Hansen

Achievement 1991
James E. Hansen, 63BA, 65MS, 67PhD, has stimulated debate in the scientific community and challenged public policy on an issue of immense concern to everyone: global climatic changes and the effects of so-called "greenhouse gases."
After earning his B.A. in physics and mathematics with highest distinction, Hansen went on to perform graduate research in astronomy and physics that would eventually lead him to study the composition of planetary atmospheres. This in turn led him to startling conclusions about possible climatic changes on earth due to the burning of fossil fuels.
As director of the Goddard Institute of Space Studies at Columbia University in New York, Hansen oversees the institute's research for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and other projects. His work on global warming has made him an internationally recognized expert on the subject, and he has been called many times to testify before Congress.
Warning that climatic change is already occurring because of the buildup of carbon dioxide and other gases in the atmosphere, his testimony captured international attention during the severe heat wave and drought of 1988. Hansen has called for energy conservation, increased fuel efficiency standards, recycling, and other measures.
Hansen believes "worst-case scenarios" of global warming can be avoided, but only by prompt action. If policy makers in Washington implement such measures, it will be due in no small part to this distinguished UI alumnus.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
His buddies at Iowa? He's been gone for 40 years. How about some names for these "buddies." Here is what the University thinks of him

That is the Univ alumni notes publication, not the views of the physics faculty at the U of I. I have been in those alumni achievement notes as well as many others- it is just a throw away mailer. Ask Lou Frank what he thinks.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is the Univ alumni notes publication, not the views of the physics faculty at the U of I. I have been in those alumni achievement notes as well as many others- it is just a throw away mailer. Ask Lou Frank what he thinks.
I suspect he's jealous that Jim has achieve more in his lifetime:

Elected to the NAS
Heinz Environment Award
AAAS Award for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility
Dan David Prize
Carl-Gustaf Rossby Research Medal

Prof Frank is a big fish in a very small pound -- Iowa.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Worldwide ocean water temperature was the highest ever last June even if surface temperatures weren't the highest ever.

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - NOAA: Global Ocean Surface Temperature Warmest on Record for June

"Global Climate Statistics
  • The combined global land and ocean surface temperature for June 2009 was the second warmest on record, behind 2005, 1.12 degrees F (0.62 degree C) above the 20th century average of 59.9 degrees F (15.5 degrees C).
  • Separately, the global ocean surface temperature for June 2009 was the warmest on record, 1.06 degrees F (0.59 degree C) above the 20th century average of 61.5 degrees F (16.4 degrees C).
  • Each hemisphere broke its June record for warmest ocean surface temperature. In the Northern Hemisphere, the warm anomaly of 1.17 degrees F (0.65 degree C) surpassed the previous record of 1.12 degrees F (0.62 degree C), set in 2005. The Southern Hemisphere’s increase of 0.99 degree F (0.55 degree C) exceeded the old record of 0.92 degree F (0.51 degree C), set in 1998.
  • The global land surface temperature for June 2009 was 1.26 degrees F (0.70 degree C) above the 20th century average of 55.9 degrees F (13.3 degrees C), and ranked as the sixth-warmest June on record."
So, maybe the surface temperature wasn't the highest ever, but it was still ranked sixth highest ever. And water temperature was higher than ever... I think that shows there is still a problem here.
Do you have any clue why ocean temps are higher than before? It has everything to do with the tilt of the Earth on it's axis. That changes the flow of the warm and cold currents that drive weather. The warm currents have moved into areas they were not before.
Here's a little bit about it, you can find more using google.

Global Climate - Global Climate Patterns, Global Climate Change

Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
Do you have any clue why ocean temps are higher than before? It has everything to do with the tilt of the Earth on it's axis. That changes the flow of the warm and cold currents that drive weather. The warm currents have moved into areas they were not before.
Here's a little bit about it, you can find more using google.

Global Climate - Global Climate Patterns, Global Climate Change
Yes we have several clues. Yes we've know for 30-40 years that the tilt of the Earth matters, it's included in the analysis. Yes the clues lead us the the conclusion that higher ocean temperatures are a predicted result of the anthropogenic warming that is occurring in the atmosphere, as is the increased acidification.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yes we have several clues. Yes we've know for 30-40 years that the tilt of the Earth matters, it's included in the analysis. Yes the clues lead us the the conclusion that higher ocean temperatures are a predicted result of the anthropogenic warming that is occurring in the atmosphere, as is the increased acidification.
You obviously don't understand what is going on. It's a cycle that takes a very, very long time to complete. Modern humans have never lived through a complete cycle yet.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
You obviously don't understand what is going on. It's a cycle that takes a very, very long time to complete. Modern humans have never lived through a complete cycle yet.
LOL right. The entire world's scientific community misunderstand, but you have the knowledge. You're a trip.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
LOL right. The entire world's scientific community misunderstand, but you have the knowledge. You're a trip.
You're misquoting, the entire scientific community does not agree with you. But seeing that you don't believe in common sense, tell me why air temps are lower and mid ocean waters are warmer. If it was CO2 doing all of it or atleast most of it like you claim, how can it be that it is only raising water temps well below the surface but has no effect on the air temps? You can't justify that with your logic.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
You're misquoting, the entire scientific community does not agree with you.
They do. Check the positions taken by the scientific professional societies.

Quote:
But seeing that you don't believe in common sense, tell me why air temps are lower and mid ocean waters are warmer. If it was CO2 doing all of it or atleast most of it like you claim, how can it be that it is only raising water temps well below the surface but has no effect on the air temps? You can't justify that with your logic.
Common sense, no I prefer analytical science. Air temperatures and ocean temperature are influenced by several different forces. One reason average ocean temperatures are up sharply is the current El Nino. Air temperatures aren't really lower. Global air temps are still high compared to historical observations. Don't confuse noisy systems with long term trends. Work on the logic, it isn't your strong suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies