Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Again..you miss the point. You are referrnig to ONE child.

What if that family is paying say $4,000 a year in taxes.. yet they have THREE children at $3,000 a pop per child.. that's $9,000 a year!

I'm not saying that education need not become a little more efficient with the money.. and that , again, needs to be addressed at the local level. How many people actually READ the school budgets before just arbitrarilly voting "yes" because some admin says that this or that will be removed??

WE are too complacent and we let things slide. THAT is our bad. The education is in OUR control if we excercise that control properly by paying attention, voicing our opinions and making those in charge more accountable.

Instead we just let it slide by. Believe me. I've lived on LI my whole life.. a whole lot of complaining about taxes and then people still vote "yes" on a budget that no one really bothers to look at.

But turning over education to private for profit entities.. huge mistake.. of enormous proportions.

First off.. let's just say that you can have your "choice" in schools..but that "choice" you prefer is actually an hour away from your home. It's maybe the better "choice" but is it really? Because now the cost to get your child to that "choice" is more in either bussing or you time to take that child an hour away to that school. Your choices, even in a private entity, are limited by what is available in your area and "free market" really plays not into the equation.. If you have private schools they can charge whatever they want within that small area in which you live and you'd be forced to either NOT educate your child or go bankrupt to get said education.

Kind of like what is happening with health insurance..

Keep private for profit entities OUT of my childs education... and let's get parents more INVOLVED in the education of our children both at home AND within the district.

And, btw, who do you think will get preference in those "Better" choices.. the students whose parents have the deepest pockets... and they will price you right out of your "choice" .

Tell me -- why is someone else obligated to pay for MY children?

Or your children? Shouldn't they be your responsibility? Not the responsibility of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
OK lets use the same logic on the lefties. Go ahead and pay more taxes to susidize the programs you love. It does seem the left likes to be generous with others money. Talk about hypocrisy.

Who Gives and Who Doesn't? - ABC News

Talk about hypocrisy?

OK!

It wasn't the left championing the cause of using other people's money to allegedly 'spread democracy' half way around the world while recoiling in horror at the mere mention of spending Americans' money on Americans.

THAT'S hypocrisy!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Tell me -- why is someone else obligated to pay for MY children?

Or your children? Shouldn't they be your responsibility? Not the responsibility of others.
Because having an educated society is important to the society thriving..

Without such a social program.. schools would only (and were only) available to those with the money to afford an education.

Just think of how many children would not have an adequate education if we were to erradicate our system of education.

Some of our founding fathers were smart enough to recognize the value of it...... the importance.

It's a shame that many do not.. but be careful what you wish for.. we could head toward a third world nation.. one where we have an extremely poor and uneducated population and then that of a wealthy educated population with no in between.. and this nation would have become something none of us really wanted and thought you would have been avoiding by removing such programs.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I have to wander how liberals can recouncil wanting s program and not be willing to pay taxes themselves to pay ofr it. SS,medicare and veterans benefits are all paid to people who actually pay into teh system. In ss and medicares case they pay into it all their working lifes. In veterans benefits they serve the counrty anf risk their lifes. I have no problem with this or people who want governamnt insurnce that are willing to pay of rit themsleves. its the something for nothing plans to tax others to pay for their benefits insurance that is not right.If your not willing to tax yourself it is pure selfishness and greedy in wanting others to work for your benefits as they are not free.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have to wander how liberals can recouncil wanting s program and not be willing to pay taxes themselves to pay ofr it. SS,medicare and veterans benefits are all paid to people who actually pay into teh system. In ss and medicares case they pay into it all their working lifes. In veterans benefits they serve the counrty anf risk their lifes. I have no problem with this or people who want governamnt insurnce that are willing to pay of rit themsleves. its the something for nothing plans to tax others to pay for their benefits insurance that is not right.If your not willing to tax yourself it is pure selfishness and greedy in wanting others to work for your benefits as they are not free.

And what makes you think liberals don't pay taxes..LOL..
I pay taxes.. boy do I pay..
So.. your statement is weak and unsubstantiated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies