Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 AM

472 posts, read 740,477 times

Advertisements

Obama Buyer’s Remorse | Newsflavor

As Obama’s popularity continues to plummet, Americans are left asking what happened to the change they voted for…

A more experienced and well run White House would never allow such a dispute between high level officials become public. This White House does in fact appear intent on utilizing the debate to score points with the liberal left in the country - but at what cost? Republicans will be outraged, but so too will the Independents, and it is that kind of glaring miscalculation that the Obama White House has repeatedly made on other critical issues such as the stimulus bill and healthcare.

Read more...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM

30,091 posts, read 18,704,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiahmooDude View Post

As Obama’s popularity continues to plummet, Americans are left asking what happened to the change they voted for…

A more experienced and well run White House would never allow such a dispute between high level officials become public. This White House does in fact appear intent on utilizing the debate to score points with the liberal left in the country - but at what cost? Republicans will be outraged, but so too will the Independents, and it is that kind of glaring miscalculation that the Obama White House has repeatedly made on other critical issues such as the stimulus bill and healthcare.

Read more...

Chicago style politics. For those of you who have never lived in Illinois, buckle your seats. It will be a bumpy ride!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
The article does make a good point though. Obama won on his promises not any leadership ability (yet to be proven). But the promises are not being made good which is not good for Obama.
It also seems that there's quite a few people in the WH that think they are running the show instead of the President.

And we're not even one year into this administration.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Chicago style politics. For those of you who have never lived in Illinois, buckle your seats. It will be a bumpy ride!

I have a former colleague who worked on the staff of a state congressman back in the early 1990s and he said much the same thing - that Chicago is as corrupt a place politically as you can find in America. And this guy is a hardcore liberal. He said the biggest group to contend with are the unions - that they have huge influence over Chicago politics and that their link to organized crime is still very much in play. He told a story of how the Congressman he worked for was approached in a deli one morning a few weeks before some vote was to take place. Two guys walked up to him and asked how his kids were doing. He never met them before. Then they told him good luck on the upcoming vote. Scared the crap outta this guy, who was just elected to his position about six months before. Sounded like some kind of Sopranos moment. His staff wanted him to call the police but he was too scared - and it would have been his word against the word of two guys he did not know and had no idea how to get in contact with again.

Is Chicago really that bad?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:20 PM

5,478 posts, read 12,256,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No kidding. I grew up in Chicago and got away when I graduated high school. My dad has been a cameraman for one of the local tv news stations for over 40 years, and he was really in the know and would come home with some pretty incredible stories. The unions, the cops, the politicians---my great uncle owned a restaraunt at Union Station, and he was witness to some fairly "interesting" lunch conversations when the local politicians, including the city Mayor, would dine there. I remember hearing these stories as a kid, but you know, when you're a kid, these things don't hold as much importance. Now, looking back, I see the web these guys have woven, and understand more how this all came to be I talk to my family on a regular basis and they're always complaining about how corrupt things are, and interestingly enough, they had all sorts of dirt and in the know info on Obama and his Chicago connections so they weren't going to vote for him. I had no clue about Obama, because I've been away too long and he was a no name to me, but to people who know the whole Blago-Daley-Emmanuel connection, I guess that was bad enough. Too bad the thugs have moved into the WH, but elections have their consequences. Problem with the thugs is that once they're there, the malignant infrastructure they install is hard, if not impossible to remove.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
No kidding. I grew up in Chicago and got away when I graduated high school. My dad has been a cameraman for one of the local tv news stations for over 40 years, and he was really in the know and would come home with some pretty incredible stories. The unions, the cops, the politicians---my great uncle owned a restaraunt at Union Station, and he was witness to some fairly "interesting" lunch conversations when the local politicians, including the city Mayor, would dine there. I remember hearing these stories as a kid, but you know, when you're a kid, these things don't hold as much importance. Now, looking back, I see the web these guys have woven, and understand more how this all came to be I talk to my family on a regular basis and they're always complaining about how corrupt things are, and interestingly enough, they had all sorts of dirt and in the know info on Obama and his Chicago connections so they weren't going to vote for him. I had no clue about Obama, because I've been away too long and he was a no name to me, but to people who know the whole Blago-Daley-Emmanuel connection, I guess that was bad enough. Too bad the thugs have moved into the WH, but elections have their consequences. Problem with the thugs is that once they're there, the malignant infrastructure they install is hard, if not impossible to remove.

So do you think Obama was actually involved in that Blago pay to play stuff? Didn't Rahm have some direct conversations with him?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies