Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times

Advertisements

I think they will. My employers pay $500 per month to insure individual employees under our small goup plan. Our plan has a $1000 deductible. If the government offers a more affordable option, it would be cost effective to give the employees a raise to allow them to pay the premium for the public option versus continuing to pay the increasing annual premiums. Private insurers will not be able to compete. The government cannot mandate that small employers provide insurance coverage without putting many out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:00 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I think they will. My employers pay $500 per month to insure individual employees under our small goup plan. Our plan has a $1000 deductible. If the government offers a more affordable option, it would be cost effective to give the employees a raise to allow them to pay the premium for the public option versus continuing to pay the increasing annual premiums. Private insurers will not be able to compete. The government cannot mandate that small employers provide insurance coverage without putting many out of business.

If it does and you are then able to purchaes your own insurance.. you will have a choice.. the public or any of the private options.

Yes.. the public may be cheaper.. but in order to attract more consumers the public may offer more for less.. and be forced to trim their overhead costs (ie: maybe they will not have to pay one exec 14M a year!!! ) to compete.

I don't see this as a bad thing..

Oh.. and smal business will be able to thrive and actually compete with big business.

Insurance really shouldn't be tied to employment anyway.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
They probably will but I'd gladly be on the public option and receive a higher rate of pay.

Private insurers already have a monopoly and they are free to lower their rates at any time but then again they wouldn't be able to give their CEOs huge bonuses every year.

I think it would be wrong for the government to mandate health insurance and not give the small businesses a choice in whether their employees are on the public option or have to deal with a private health insurance company.

Many larger businesses pay their employees less money in order for their employees to qualify for Medicaid so they won't have to provide them with health insurance.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
They probably will but I'd gladly be on the public option and receive a higher rate of pay.

Private insurers already have a monopoly and they are free to lower their rates at any time but then again they wouldn't be able to give their CEOs huge bonuses every year.

I think it would be wrong for the government to mandate health insurance and not give the small businesses a choice in whether their employees are on the public option or have to deal with a private health insurance company.

Many larger businesses pay their employees less money in order for their employees to qualify for Medicaid so they won't have to provide them with health insurance.
That doesn't make sense. If the employee works a full time job for minimun wage they would not be eligilbe for Medicaid in most cases.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
That doesn't make sense. If the employee works a full time job for minimun wage they would not be eligilbe for Medicaid in most cases.
I knew plenty of people while working at Wal-Mart that were on Medicaid and worked full time.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Absolutely.

We must remember obama's words - he does not expect private insurance to be eliminated immediately, but in maybe 10, 15 or twenty years.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Absolutely.

We must remember obama's words - he does not expect private insurance to be eliminated immediately, but in maybe 10, 15 or twenty years.
Just like any other business, if they can't compete, they shouldn't be around.

Right now the health insurance companies have a monopoly.

Competition Lacking Among Private Health Insurance Companies

Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Just like any other business, if they can't compete, they shouldn't be around.

Right now the health insurance companies have a monopoly.
How can they compete with an entity that prints it's own money and is funded by the taxpayer?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How can they compete with an entity that prints it's own money and is funded by the taxpayer?
They'll be fine.
If they truly offer a product that the American people want and are willing to pay for, they shouldn't have any worries.
If they feel they are doing SUCH a great job, why should we care?

Do you have stock in these companies or do you work for one of them?

I personally wouldn't be sad to see less of them around. They've stiffed enough hard working American people over the years.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I knew plenty of people while working at Wal-Mart that were on Medicaid and worked full time.
It must be determined based on the state in which you live. In Texas an employee working 40 hours a week at $7.25 per hour would not qualify for Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies