Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,180 times

Advertisements

His thoughtful ideas are truly inspirational.

He starts with breaking down the supposed 40-some million uninsured. Identifies that 10 or so million are illegal immigrants, then there are the younger workers who decline coverge (another 5-10 million), and those who are transiting between employment, and those who refuse to comply with state funded insurance that is available to them.... bottom line is that the uninsured, by his estimates, are about 3 to 5 million, which is a mere 3 or 4 percent of the population. He agrees this 3 or 4 percent is a problem but it does not require wholesale change to health insurance.

He also points out that cost and insurance reform is needed. And that this is a primary issue.

His town hall was this past Tuesday, aired on C-SPAN today. A top recommendation for anyone who has an interest in health insurance initiative.

BTW: For those who dismiss town hall meetings, this is more than suggested viewing.

Keep up the great work Dan!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
His thoughtful ideas are truly inspirational.

He starts with breaking down the supposed 40-some million uninsured. Identifies that 10 or so million are illegal immigrants, then there are the younger workers who decline coverge (another 5-10 million), and those who are transiting between employment, and those who refuse to comply with state funded insurance that is available to them.... bottom line is that the uninsured, by his estimates, are about 3 to 5 million, which is a mere 3 or 4 percent of the population. He agrees this 3 or 4 percent is a problem but it does not require wholesale change to health insurance.

He also points out that cost and insurance reform is needed. And that this is a primary issue.

His town hall was this past Tuesday, aired on C-SPAN today. A top recommendation for anyone who has an interest in health insurance initiative.

BTW: For those who dismiss town hall meetings, this is more than suggested viewing.

Keep up the great work Dan!!!
I think it is quite obvious why Obama and his prog followers use that up to 50 million without to make it sound serious enough to fool all the fools into believing it is so serious. I have heard this man talk before and he sure isn't a prog, at all.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think it is quite obvious why Obama and his prog followers use that up to 50 million without to make it sound serious enough to fool all the fools into believing it is so serious. I have heard this man talk before and he sure isn't a prog, at all.

Seems the liberals are to unsatisfied with Dan's ideas or can't admit they like them, and the conservatives aren't unified. What a waste of money.

After decades they can't even set out basic premises to decide and resolve. Reason is that we all get what we need one way or another and MANY, if not MOST, of us are happy with the way it is. In other words, we don't need change just to say we did it, we want targeted and specific change that is an improvement.

I'm thinking Obama fugged up picking health insurance as his first big hitter. Then again the democrats can push whatever they want now and the Republicans can sit and say they told us so.

Did Obama say his next "thingy" was education or is he flopping to social security now?

Or will his magic wand fix it all in one single year??

Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Awwww. I'm a tell Ron Paul that somebody is stealing his Mr. Perfect Conservative cult like status with the sheeple.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Does it bother anyone that Lundgren is simply re-babbling a bunch of NewsMax numbers? For instance, his 10 million "illegal immigrants" is actually the 9.7 million foreign-born who are not citizens. The number of resident aliens and persons with valid visas is apparently zero. The "5-10 million" young people who decline insurance are all of the 8.0 million uninsured who are between the ages of 18 and 24, despite surveys showing that half to two-thirds of them would gladly purchase health insurance if it were available to them and affordable. Meanwhile, the average "in transition" person has been unemployed for just under six months, and only 10 states have no waiting period for S-CHIP eligibility. These are apparently not seen as being factors of any consequence. Who could be so careless as to need medical care while unemployed or during an eligibility waiting period?

Don't know how others would take it, but if my Representative stood up and handed me slop numbers like these, I'd be voting for him for the position of Private Sector Bozo just as quickly as possible...

[Note: All of the basic data used by me and by NewsMax (and hence, by Lundgren) are from the most recent Census Social and Economic Supplements.]

Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/BC...ed-America.pdf

More than 14 million uninsured Americans are already eligible for health insurance
through Medicaid and State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).
More than 13 million uninsured adults and families have incomes of $50,000 or more,
and many have access to affordable healthcare coverage.
Approximately 5.7 million uninsured adults are “short-term uninsured,” perhaps
between jobs or recent college graduates.
Fifty-four percent of low-wage workers in firms with fewer than 10 workers
do not have coverage.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Does it bother anyone that Lundgren is simply re-babbling a bunch of NewsMax numbers? For instance, his 10 million "illegal immigrants" is actually the 9.7 million foreign-born who are not citizens. The number of resident aliens and persons with valid visas is apparently zero. The "5-10 million" young people who decline insurance are all of the 8.0 million uninsured who are between the ages of 18 and 24, despite surveys showing that half to two-thirds of them would gladly purchase health insurance if it were available to them and affordable. Meanwhile, the average "in transition" person has been unemployed for just under six months, and only 10 states have no waiting period for S-CHIP eligibility. These are apparently not seen as being factors of any consequence. Who could be so careless as to need medical care while unemployed or during an eligibility waiting period?

Don't know how others would take it, but if my Representative stood up and handed me slop numbers like these, I'd be voting for him for the position of Private Sector Bozo just as quickly as possible...

[Note: All of the basic data used by me and by NewsMax (and hence, by Lundgren) are from the most recent Census Social and Economic Supplements.]

Define affordable?

I travel a fair bit. Over the last two months I have had random conversations with lots of folks at the airport. I ask them the same question: are you insured, and if not, is insurance at least offered.

I have had a few excellent debates and conversations with the younger crowd. To say that all 20-somethings can afford it but simply refuse it is inaccurate. To say that a large percentage don't make that choice is equally inaccurate. One young man told me he had it when he started working after college but later dropped it to save $130 a month. He was wearing Polo, had a nice watch, and looked like any young professional. When I asked him what kind of car he drove he told me a 2003 Lexus, which he bought used. I give him credit for buying a used car, but he lost points for his choice.

Another young lady was waiting until she got pregnant to have insurance. She and her husband did not have insurance, but had the option through both their companies. The cost was about the same - $400 a month for the whole family through either company. She said she could only join once a year, and so they had to be very careful she did not get pregnant. I asked her where the $400 would come from and she said they would just have to find it in the budget.

On the other side, there was a lady about 40 who had none. Her kids were covered on the father's plan as part of her divorce settlement. She said it would cost her about $200 a month also, but there was just no way she could afford it. She made about $50,000, and got just over $1300 a month in child support also. Her comment was she wished he had gotten the house instead of her because it [the house] was killing her. She indicated she was healthy, and had always had insurance when she was married. The only notable point here is that she and the kids were coming back from vacation.

I asked a worker at the airport Burger King if she was insured. She said "Lo siento, pero no Ingles". I took that as a "no".

Old 08-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Define affordable?

Affordable equates to "I pay nothing."

Very informative post and all too true.

Just because you're born doesn't mean I have the responsibility to keep you alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies