U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
 
26,684 posts, read 26,959,145 times
Reputation: 7933

Advertisements

The 2010 Census will determine the final outcomes, but according to population projections, here are the likely changes:

Likely gainers
Texas - 4 more votes
Arizona - 2 more votes
Florida - 1 more vote
Georgia - 1 more vote
Nevada - 1 more vote
North Carolina - 1 more vote
Oregon - 1 more vote
South Carolina - 1 more vote
Utah - 1 more vote

Likely losers
Ohio - 2 fewer votes
California - 1 fewer vote
Illinois - 1 fewer vote
Iowa - 1 fewer vote
Louisiana - 1 fewer vote
Massachusetts - 1 fewer vote
Michigan - 1 fewer vote
Minnesota - 1 fewer vote
Missouri - 1 fewer vote
New Jersey - 1 fewer vote
New York - 1 fewer vote
Pennsylvania - 1 fewer vote

"Based on the 2008 presidential election results, this would give the Democratic Party a net loss of seven electoral votes, for a national total of 358, and the Republican Party a net gain of seven electoral votes, for a national total of 180."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ollege_changes

http://www.electiondataservices.com/...r08wTables.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
17,604 posts, read 22,956,309 times
Reputation: 9933
Except that Michelle Bachmann and her followers won't be taking part.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
 
26,684 posts, read 26,959,145 times
Reputation: 7933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Except that Michelle Bachmann and her followers won't be taking part.
Maybe that's why Minnesota is projected to lose a vote. Bachmann isn't really concerned about her constituents being sent to internment camps; she just wants to see Minnesota lose an Electoral College vote because she knows the state will go for Obama!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: New York
442 posts, read 752,282 times
Reputation: 175
Well, this just sort of proves the widely speculated theory that liberals bankrupt their states and then depart for the sun belt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 78,961,008 times
Reputation: 27669
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
Well, this just sort of proves the widely speculated theory that liberals bankrupt their states and then depart for the sun belt.
Yeah..Texas is getting the brunt of it though..everyone and their brother leaving up north and out west to come to Texas.

And it's not that much better here either. Our unemployment jumped to around 7.5% recently, mostly due to all the newcomers thinking we are overflowing with job opportunities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 PM
 
131 posts, read 165,887 times
Reputation: 57
Do not worry, Obama will find a way to make sure this does not happen. He has already taken steps to ensure his re-election bid in 2012.
And he will also find ways to make sure he will still have the majority behind him even if he and the democrats in congress have to make up some kind of new law or change the current ones.
Come on, its the democrats, they will not allow this to happen even if they have to make some changes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM
 
26,684 posts, read 26,959,145 times
Reputation: 7933
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
Well, this just sort of proves the widely speculated theory that liberals bankrupt their states and then depart for the sun belt.
That could be true to a certain extent, but your theory wouldn't explain why Oregon is gaining in population or why Missouri and Louisiana are losing population.

If being liberal was bad for an economy, then places like Seattle, Boulder, and Washington DC wouldn't be at the top of the lists of the best economies along with cities like Dallas and Mobile.

In Pictures: The Best And Worst Cities For Recession Recovery - Forbes.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: H-town, TX.
3,503 posts, read 6,676,410 times
Reputation: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That could be true to a certain extent, but your theory wouldn't explain why Oregon is gaining in population or why Missouri and Louisiana are losing population.

If being liberal was bad for an economy, then places like Seattle, Boulder, and Washington DC wouldn't be at the top of the lists of the best economies along with cities like Dallas and Mobile.

In Pictures: The Best And Worst Cities For Recession Recovery - Forbes.com

Let's not go ga-ga here...Louisiana is a filthy corrupt Dem craphole. St. Louis is losing population as well.

DC probably has the best phoney economy out there. How else to you keep people employed when Capitol Hill is spending money it does not have?

Oregon's gubmint probably learned from Cali's mistakes, because well...they had to. Besides, it's not a desert hole like Las Vegas that developers went overboard on in trying to paint the desert as this oasis of...flowing water that can support the growth it had.

I have no idea what keeps Boulder going, since it's a college town, or Seattle, since Billy Gates is shipping his jobs off to India and whatnot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Yes
2,660 posts, read 6,393,846 times
Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
St. Louis is losing population as well.
It's actually gained population the last few years. Don't know the last time you have visited (if you have), but things are getting pretty nice around here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 PM
 
26,684 posts, read 26,959,145 times
Reputation: 7933
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Let's not go ga-ga here...Louisiana is a filthy corrupt Dem craphole. St. Louis is losing population as well.

DC probably has the best phoney economy out there. How else to you keep people employed when Capitol Hill is spending money it does not have?

Oregon's gubmint probably learned from Cali's mistakes, because well...they had to. Besides, it's not a desert hole like Las Vegas that developers went overboard on in trying to paint the desert as this oasis of...flowing water that can support the growth it had.

I have no idea what keeps Boulder going, since it's a college town, or Seattle, since Billy Gates is shipping his jobs off to India and whatnot.
Got it. Basically, you dismiss any places that are run by Democrats and doing well, and you excuse any places run by Republicans that are doing poorly. Great debating technique.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top