Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Calculated Risk: Social Security: No Increase to 2010 Benefits or Maximum Contribution Base

Just some interesting data for anyone who would like to read it.

Below is an AP report which categorizes the lack of a COLA as recipients income shrinking. FWIW interesting stat: the average monthly benefit is $1,153.00 ($13,836./year -- below the poverty level) How many of us could get by on that in the region where they live?
The Associated Press: Millions face shrinking Social Security payments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Stack the "no increase" up against inflation, and you'll understand why it is said to be "shrinking" ..

Yes, we are not experiencing any inflationary pressures this year, we are much closer to deflation and no increase in inflation this year, so therefore, those on Social Security should not get an adjustment to COLA. I mean how can you make a cost of living adjustment when there is no increase in inflation?

You also fail to point out they received a huge one time payment in Jan and they also benefited from the stimulus package, because they received added money onto their benefit for the rest of the year.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM

799 posts, read 1,444,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
To a Social Security recipient counting on that extra $20-$40 a month come Jan 1, the CPI means little. They are still going to have to pay utilities (which in my area aren't going down in price), have Medicare premium deducted from their check (which goes up each year.) Chances are as the individual ages, s/he is going to require more meds or other costly medical accessories not covered by Medicare. Not all of them have family to turn to, either.

We're fortunate that we can discuss this without concern about how much a stamp costs to mail a bill, or what the latest cable bill or phone company increase is. If the SS recipient lives in NYS, we were just hit with more taxes at many levels which will negate any changes to the CPI which would be considered postive to the SS beneficiary.

You have a very good point. Taxes are increasing everywhere to help make up for lost revenue due to the recession and increased spending. Phone, fuel, cable, satellite, internet, rain, utilities, property, food, savings, investments, death, and everything else is taxed. All our taxes will be going up. I expect a few new taxes and increases in old taxes when the economy finally recovers. There is no way to avoid an increase in the cost of living.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Millions of older people face shrinking Social Security checks next year, the first time in a generation that payments would not rise. The trustees who oversee Social Security are projecting there won't be a cost of living adjustment (COLA) for the next two years. That hasn't happened since automatic increases were adopted in 1975.

Millions Face Shrinking Social Security Checks - ABC News
They don't want your stinking Social(ist) Security or Medicare. They will start burning their Medicare Cards at the Town Halls to Prove it.
That's why they are out there protesting. Thank goodness Dick Armey and Freedomworks are suing to get rid of it

Last edited by Boompa; 08-24-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They will be getting less money due to Medicare cost increases.

They are already not happy about obamacare, this should send them into a rage.
the medicare part b premium will not be going up either. seniors will just have to suffer with the rest of us.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Yes, we are not experiencing any inflationary pressures this year, we are much closer to deflation and no increase in inflation this year, so therefore, those on Social Security should not get an adjustment to COLA. I mean how can you make a cost of living adjustment when there is no increase in inflation?

You also fail to point out they received a huge one time payment in Jan and they also benefited from the stimulus package, because they received added money onto their benefit for the rest of the year.
Could you tell me where my huge one time payment went? I didn't ever see anything different on my bank statement. For some reason I am like everybody else with that stimulus. I didn't get anything at all. BTW, are they going to spend that stimulus money some day.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Calculated Risk: Social Security: No Increase to 2010 Benefits or Maximum Contribution Base

Just some interesting data for anyone who would like to read it.

Below is an AP report which categorizes the lack of a COLA as recipients income shrinking. FWIW interesting stat: the average monthly benefit is $1,153.00 ($13,836./year -- below the poverty level) How many of us could get by on that in the region where they live?
The Associated Press: Millions face shrinking Social Security payments

SS was never meant to be a livable income but a supplement to savngs or other retirement money.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Could you tell me where my huge one time payment went? I didn't ever see anything different on my bank statement. For some reason I am like everybody else with that stimulus. I didn't get anything at all. BTW, are they going to spend that stimulus money some day.
Do you have income other than social security that would disqualify you from the stimulus?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
To a Social Security recipient counting on that extra $20-$40 a month come Jan 1, the CPI means little. They are still going to have to pay utilities (which in my area aren't going down in price), have Medicare premium deducted from their check (which goes up each year.) Chances are as the individual ages, s/he is going to require more meds or other costly medical accessories not covered by Medicare. Not all of them have family to turn to, either.

We're fortunate that we can discuss this without concern about how much a stamp costs to mail a bill, or what the latest cable bill or phone company increase is. If the SS recipient lives in NYS, we were just hit with more taxes at many levels which will negate any changes to the CPI which would be considered postive to the SS beneficiary.
Next time vote Republican.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post

You reading Google snips instead of articles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies