Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I personally don't want to be mandated to get insurance through a private insurer especially since they can rescind your coverage at any point.

HR3200 tackles the issue of being dropped from insurance..they can't do it.. and they can't discriminate based on pre-existings.

And the public option is needed to bring private insurance in line.. ie: trimming their exorbitant overhead (ie: 14M /year salaries to one exec)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
"Your numbers prove NOTHING.. because they don't exist. In all the data out there about healthcare not ONE has numbers of those that have "choosen" not to have insurance."

According to the CBO, 45 percent of the uninsured are uninsured for four months or less, which seems like a pretty positive number to me.
Then, another portion of uninsured Americans already qualify for an existing government health insurance program — and government already controls 46 percent of spending on health care — for which they have not signed up.
The CBO estimates that as many as 15 percent of the chronically uninsured are already eligible for help. The Urban Institute (hardly advocates of free-market fundamentalism) found that 25 percent of the uninsured qualify for some program.
Surely, most citizens will concur that health care is too expensive (though most citizens would likely concur that everything is too expensive) and something should be done. So when Obama tells us that 46 million Americans are uninsured, he is implying that 46 million people can't afford health insurance. That, too, is absurd.
In a study for the National Bureau of Economic Research, "Is Health Insurance Affordable for the Uninsured?," Stanford economists say that "based on a plausible range of definitions and assumptions . . . health insurance is affordable for between one quarter and three quarters of adults who are not insured."
Turns out that 8.4 million uninsured Americans are making $50,000 to $74,999 and 9.1 million more are making more than $75,000. Health insurance is just incompatible with their lifestyles, I guess. There are obviously inconveniences — children and mortgages, for instance — that can quickly make $50,000 seem like a pittance. Then again, 27 percent of all adults in their 20s (many, I presume, without offspring) choose not to have health insurance. Many of them surely have the means to purchase insurance, but after meticulously considering the tradeoffs (imbibing or insuring?) say no thanks.

Again, you make my point. there are all kinds of stats out there.

Your limited conversation with a handful of "young people" do not qualify as an adequate cross section of information. It's not an official study and it proves nothing
"I had a convo with a persno that said when he was younger he didn't have it by choice"

So, when you have a conversation that is imperical data but, when I have one it does not qualify.

A discussion is when people voice thier "opinions". You have yours, I have mine. I believe you have very stong opinions on this subject and any other opinion you will dismiss "because you are right". I think you are very condensending in your replies.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
We can insure them all but everyone can't go to the doctor for every little thing and there will probably be an increase of co-pays and such.

Not Enough Healthcare to Go Around | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Commentary

That all makes sense. I'm not saying that it wouldbe different under a government option or even if we had a gov't run system.

However.. there are many without access to even the "non experimental" necessary care.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 PM

689 posts, read 743,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If you take all of what you said as the truth, how do you explain the rising cost of health care. A lot of people say that the high cost of care is because of the number of uninsured, if there are not that many uninsured or the uninsured are healthy...how do you explain the cost.
Could it be because the market for healthcare insurance is essentially "cornered" state to state? Wouldn't opening up the competition (like anything) bring the cost down? As a start that is...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:53 PM

[quote=Quick Enough;10434757]"Your numbers prove NOTHING.. because they don't exist. In all the data out there about healthcare not ONE has numbers of those that have "choosen" not to have insurance."

According to the CBO, 45 percent of the uninsured are uninsured for four months or less, which seems like a pretty positive number to me.
Then, another portion of uninsured Americans already qualify for an existing government health insurance program β€” and government already controls 46 percent of spending on health care β€” for which they have not signed up.
The CBO estimates that as many as 15 percent of the chronically uninsured are already eligible for help. The Urban Institute (hardly advocates of free-market fundamentalism) found that 25 percent of the uninsured qualify for some program.
Surely, most citizens will concur that health care is too expensive (though most citizens would likely concur that everything is too expensive) and something should be done. So when Obama tells us that 46 million Americans are uninsured, he is implying that 46 million people can't afford health insurance. That, too, is absurd.
In a study for the National Bureau of Economic Research, "Is Health Insurance Affordable for the Uninsured?," Stanford economists say that "based on a plausible range of definitions and assumptions . . . health insurance is affordable for between one quarter and three quarters of adults who are not insured."
Turns out that 8.4 million uninsured Americans are making $50,000 to $74,999 and 9.1 million more are making more than $75,000. Health insurance is just incompatible with their lifestyles, I guess. There are obviously inconveniences β€” children and mortgages, for instance β€” that can quickly make $50,000 seem like a pittance. T

Quote:
hen again, 27 percent of all adults in their 20s (many, I presume, without offspring) choose not to have health insurance. Many of them surely have the means to purchase insurance, but after meticulously considering the tradeoffs (imbibing or insuring?) say no thanks.
And where oh where is this 27% figure you are throwing at coming from?

Quote:
Your limited conversation with a handful of "young people" do not qualify as an adequate cross section of information. It's not an official study and it proves nothing
"I had a convo with a persno that said when he was younger he didn't have it by choice"

So, when you have a conversation that is imperical data but, when I have one it does not qualify.
I never said my conversations with young people counted for anything.. it was to show you that those conversations are meaningless because just as many as you claim to have had with young people that seem to fit what YOU think of them (ie: choosing not to have it over the cost) is about just as many as I have spoken to that say just the opposite. YOU are citing your conversations as absolute proof that you are correct.. I didn't state my conversations were what makes me believe that what yousay is untrue.. I look at income vs cost .. salary increase vs. cost increase as my proof.

Quote:
A discussion is when people voice thier "opinions". You have yours, I have mine. I believe you have very stong opinions on this subject and any other opinion you will dismiss "because you are right". I think you are very condensending in your replies.
Your opinions are based on faulty assumptions.. fAULTY.

Let's consider something. you talk about how it doesn't fit into their "lifestyle".

lets take a family.. the average workign family that makes say $60K a year. Tehy own a small business. At one point in time they were able to afford their premiums, the house mortgage that they have etc. The mortgaeg payments will stay the same.. salaries usually increase. Cost of everything will increase.. but usually they increase at a NORMAL scale and in proporations, no?

But then someone..like a poster above.. suddenly finds that while his salary increased slightly ..lets say teh average 2.5%(business improved some) but his insurance premium increased 18% as demonstrated by a poster above. Maybe they are still okay in affording the "lifestyle".. ie: the house , the cars that they budgeted.. but their discretionary is decreasing because while everything else increased slightly.. their premiums again went up 18%..

Next year.. they increase AGAIN.. and AGAIN.. at a double digit percentage.. the average 12%.. Suddenly that house, that car and everything else they could afford is now overshadowed by extemely accelerated rise in insurance costs.

What does the family do with children.. DOWNGRADE to a smaller house??? Slide BACKWARDS in the "lifestyle" they have and at one point were able to afford.

Again.. when salaries are increasing at a 2.5% tick and insurance is going up at 4x's that.. suddenly the mortgage you once paid and could afford, the car you had and could pay for you suddenly can't because your insruance is eating up your budget.. you find yourself not being able to save.. and then eventually you won't be able to pay the mortgage..

So you see.. why on paper that all looks great. but when you apply ACTUAL REAL LIFE it's twisted.

and.. the average American family..they live inmodest homes.. perhaps we can all downgrade to a cardboard box to afford health insurance.

So..what does a family do? Give up their housing to pay for the health insurance.. because technically renting should and would cost just as much... but maybe slightly less... but when health insurance increases again.. then what..

WE can all live in our cars so that we can afford the double digit % increase in health insurance

Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
tristans mommy
"Your opinions are based on faulty assumptions.. fAULTY"
Again, you didn't read.My data came from the CBO as I stated. You have never stated where your data comes from.

If something is said that you don't like you try to dismiss it because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Your numbers prove NOTHING.. because they don't exist. In all the data out there about healthcare not ONE has numbers of those that have "choosen" not to have insurance."

Then, another portion of uninsured Americans already qualify for an existing government health insurance program β€” and government already controls 46 percent of spending on health care β€” for which they have not signed up.
Turns out that 8.4 million uninsured Americans are making $50,000 to $74,999 and 9.1 million more are making more than $75,000. Health insurance is just incompatible with their lifestyles, I guess. There are obviously inconveniences β€” children and mortgages, for instance β€” that can quickly make $50,000 seem like a pittance. Then again, 27 percent of all adults in their 20s (many, I presume, without offspring) choose not to have health insurance. Many of them surely have the means to purchase insurance, but after meticulously considering the tradeoffs (imbibing or insuring?) say no thanks.

This is all good, but do you have any cites to reference your facts.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
tristans mommy
"Your opinions are based on faulty assumptions.. fAULTY"
Again, you didn't read.My data came from the CBO as I stated. You have never stated where your data comes from.

If something is said that you don't like you try to dismiss it because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Because they are making ASSUMPTIONS!! ASSUMPTIONS.. and the CBO has been wrong on a lot of things lately.. especialy regarding healthcare.

You obviously didn't read MY post.. where I said on Paper it looks like everyone should be able to afford it.. BUT you didn't take into account all the other stuff..like 2.5% income increase and 12% cost increase can suddenly find someone that had been making say $70K and comfortably affording their "lifestyle" .. suddenly unable to afford insurance as it starts eating into their mortgage and their "lifestyle"...

all that crap on paper means nothing until you apply it to real life.. how many times have we thought we met someone that was "perfect" on paper only to find out they were a complete ass when standing right in front of you!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
HR3200 tackles the issue of being dropped from insurance..they can't do it.. and they can't discriminate based on pre-existings.

And the public option is needed to bring private insurance in line.. ie: trimming their exorbitant overhead (ie: 14M /year salaries to one exec)
I'm not saying the public option isn't needed.
I personally would like single payer instead.

In any case, I prefer H.R. 676

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
We can insure them all but everyone can't go to the doctor for every little thing and there will probably be an increase of co-pays and such.

Not Enough Healthcare to Go Around | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Commentary

Purplelove, i actually like this article. I think he raises some valid arguments and offers a few reason why we pay so much for health care. I tend to agree part of the high, is attributed to our overall demand for more services. I wonder how many services on average citizens of France, United Kingdom, Canada, etc get when compared to the prices they pay? I'd like to see an honest comparison between our country and theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies