Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times

Advertisements

Well, if you don't believe there is a double standard then I have to believe you are in denial. The left definately holds the republican party to a higher standard than they hold their own. Anytime a republican takes a stumble the left has a field day as can be seen right on these boards, and more specifically with this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 09:40 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Hypocrisy, yes, "fake" morals, I'm not certain the religious right has fake morals, but they have morals that often are at serious odds with my own beliefs.

Where I find the issue most troubling is "legislating" morals and "setting" policy that will affect us all for future generations. The politicians are outside the morals issue--few have any!

Frankly, I strongly believe the politicos have used and in some cases, abused, the religious right for their own gains and some of their rhetoric is now being revealed for what it is: double standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Absolutely.

These people are trying to impose their fake morals on the rest of us through legislation and through policy. Sorry, but I have a huge problem with that and think these people need to be exposed to the light of day at every opportunity.

And if high-ranking and powerful Democrats were doing this sort of thing, I'd be calling their asses out, too. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy. But because Republicans have been in positions of power for so long now, it's theirs that have the most direct impact on our daily lives right now.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Any time anyone takes a stumble--they are called on it: Biden, Obama, Clintons, the Gov. of MT; the Senator for Nebraska, you name it, they are called on every little word they speak, every misstep is examined and highlighted for hours on talk radio, television and here.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:43 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Well, if you don't believe there is a double standard then I have to believe you are in denial. The left definately holds the republican party to a higher standard than they hold their own. Anytime a republican takes a stumble the left has a field day as can be seen right on these boards, and more specifically with this thread.

And that would be why Clinton is still villified as an adulterer yet we hear nothing when Bush actively campaigns for an adulterous PA congressman or no one on the right seems too upset with Newt's or Rudy's adulterous ways?

Old 04-28-2007, 09:45 AM

And, I forgot about the newest thread about another aeroplane! A meaningful contributory discussion about fuel consumption!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Now I understand even better. Hypocrisy only counts in certain cases. In other cases, its justifiable. Cool, now I know.
The question was with the degree of hypocrisy you could validly claim over stances on separate issues versus that only too evident in this case from what was practiced and preached on the very same issue. Your post does not really answer that question...

Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And that would be why Clinton is still villified as an adulterer yet we hear nothing when Bush actively campaigns for an adulterous PA congressman or no one on the right seems too upset with Newt's or Rudy's adulterous ways?

I never villified Clinton as an adulterer myself. Others may have. But what I do villify is him shaking his finger and saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". He also questioned the meaning of the word "is".

That's just sad.

BTW, I'm not a Bush fan either before you go there.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The question was with the degree of hypocrisy you could validly claim over stances on separate issues versus that only too evident in this case from what was practiced and preached on the very same issue. Your post does not really answer that question...
Gun control stance and abortion stance are not seperate issues when you are speaking about the constitution. Either the constitution is or isn't open to more debate and legislation.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:52 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I never villified Clinton as an adulterer myself. Others may have. But what I do villify is him shaking his finger and saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". He also questioned the meaning of the word "is".

That's just sad.

BTW, I'm not a Bush fan either before you go there.

I wouldn't attempt to justify Clinton's actions, just trying show that both sides have thir warts.

And if we want to look at different treatment , while I don't think Clinton was right I think it's questionable whether he should've been put in a position to lie, I don't believe his affair was public business yet he was impeached for it.

On the other hand we have Reagan who conveniently forgets weapon sales to an enemy, something that is most assuredly public business, and he's deified for it.

Last edited by burdell; 04-28-2007 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 04-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I wouldn't attempt to justify Clinton's actions, just trying show that both sides have thir warts.
Yes, they do. I consider myself a conservative, but frown when I see the politicians who call themselves conservatives these days. Then I frown again when I look at the democrats as an alternative.

I don't get excited about elections. I basically try to figure which option will leave me the least screwed. It seems that is now a roll of the dice as the campaign means nothing once the election is over, and that goes for both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies