Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Maybe we drive on the wrong side of the road.
Actually, the right side of the road gets driven on by everyone .. it just depends on which direction they are going while driving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yeah im telling you. another clown was galileo imagine trying to insinuate the universe does not orbit around america.

HERETIC!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Hey, let the British drive on whichever side of the road they want. But they should understand that there are going to be problems if they come here and don't adapt to the local arrangement. (They should also think twice about the way they words like "colour," "favour," etc. But that could be another thread).

Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 AM

351 posts, read 375,798 times
We may have had the first cars but we didn't have the first roads. In feudal days ( long before a USA) society was extremely violent and travelling on the left side of the road was the most sensible option as it meant your sword arm was nearer oncoming possible opponents. This became the norm in places like the UK and the roads were built to accomodate this.
In the late 1700s, the french and Americans too began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver's seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Actually, the right side of the road gets driven on by everyone .. it just depends on which direction they are going while driving it.

Good point!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Real Americans drive on the RIGHT side of the road because early conservatives did not want anyone to think about the Left.

This standard does not seem to apply to Volvo, BMW or Hummer drivers that apparently believe the high price of their cars bought them the right to take their half out of the middle. I learned this from driving back roads in southern New Hampshire the right wing yuppie capital of the world.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I learned this from driving back roads in southern New Hampshire the right wing yuppie capital of the world.
I believe the majority of every county in New Hampshire voted for Obama.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
01snake - I know that. I am glad they did.

I was trying for sarcasm. A soccor mom talking on the cell phone while driving a Volvo down the middle a tree lined narrow road can be a sight to see when you are going the other way. I have had to pull off the road to let them past. I do not think she even saw me because she did not pull back to the right side of the center.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 AM

968 posts, read 1,038,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
And don't listen to all these yahoos who are trying to say, "Oh, no, America didn't invent the car, it was a Belgian named Jans Van Der Sacrebleu, he invented the car in 1729, no, I mean 1488, yeah 1488, which is, like a REALLY long time ago, longer time ago than 1729!"

Everyone knows that Henry Ford invented and mass produced the first REAL car in the US of A, and we gave it to the world, like just about everything else from soup (from NJ) to light bulbs (also from NJ) to movies (actually, also from NJ).
Everyone doesn't know that because it's not true. The first mass produced, standardized, gasoline-powered car was the Benz Velo made by Benz & Cie. from 1894-1901. The French companies Panhard & Levassor and Peugeot were also mass producing cars in the late 1880s.

The first car mass produced in the US was the Curved Dash Oldsmobile from 1901-1907. Ford started mass producing the Model T in 1908 (after 2 failed attempts at car manufacturing). What everyone does know, and is true, is that in 1913 Ford introduced the moving assembly line. That changed manufacturing forever.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
This entire thread is typical American ignorance. I love this country and most of the people who share it with me but man are some people stupid. We didn't invent the automobile and have no right to dictate what side of the road others should drive on. We contributed a great deal to mass manufacturing and guess what, so did Toyota as many modern automobile plants are based on the streamlining and optimization of manufacture pioneered by Toyota. Does it everyone also owe it to us to use U.S. standard measurements instead of metric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies