Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 12:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
For all we know he went to get a tag# or description when they turned on him again, so he had to defend himself. .
And I'm sure if charges are brought up on him that's what his defense team will say.

My question would be "if your only intention was to follow them to get the tag number then why did you take your gun"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
And I'm sure if charges are brought up on him that's what his defense team will say.

My question would be "if your only intention was to follow them to get the tag number then why did you take your gun"

Well hopefully he and his lawyer would be smart enough to say 1 of a few things. 1) The gun is always in the car (I think he was in his car)
if not, then 2) He was just tied up, beaten, etc by kids with guns so he took it for protection.

Like I said earlier. Not the best decision to do what he did, but it turned out fine. He would have to live with the consequences if an innocent person got hurt/killed, but they didnt.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Well hopefully he and his lawyer would be smart enough to say 1 of a few things. 1) The gun is always in the car (I think he was in his car)
if not, then 2) He was just tied up, beaten, etc by kids with guns so he took it for protection.

Like I said earlier. Not the best decision to do what he did, but it turned out fine. He would have to live with the consequences if an innocent person got hurt/killed, but they didnt.
Nope according to his son, he grabbed the gun before getting in his van. Like I said, his son should stop making statements.

As far as the second, if he was rational enough to decide to take his gun for protection that pretty much ruins the "temporary insanity" theory, at least in my big. I'm not up to date on all the leagl loopholes of the system.

This reminds me of that movie Time To Kill.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:36 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
To me, this guy simply decided he was not going to be a complacent victim. I totally understand. NV law allows for this type of citizen action. I am not familiar with NC's regs in this situation. I would have acted similarly. Without hesitation. The neighboring ranches and I watch out for each others places here. Stock stealers, occasional enviro wackos who like to shoot our cattle and poison our watering stations less than savory transients who wander in off the highway, seen a bit. NV law allows us to defend ourselves and take whatever steps are needed to apprehend those who would make victims of us. It's a good thing. I hope the guy in this discussion is fully cleared. That would send a message to the bad guys, and put them on notice.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Not if the jury follows the LAW
The law is not composed of absolutes. It is flexible, organic, interpretable, and subject to the particulars of each and every case. This case is clearly all of that and more.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:

the answer to that is really simple if you had just had your home invaded, tied up and robbed. He was acting in fear....

Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Chasing someone down is a defense? LOLOL puuuleezze If he were so frightened for his life he would not have done such a thing. The man sought to exact revenge upon the robbers, fueled by his anger and the gun at his easy access. When he decided to break the law he became a criminal too.

uh cowboy?

70 something YO men don't act in anger.

didn't school start back today in okco?

Old 08-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
the answer to that is really simple if you had just had your home invaded, tied up and robbed. He was acting in fear....
I just don't see that as fear. If I'm afraid someone is going to kill me the last thing I'm going to do is chase after them, armed or not. But anger and revenge I get. If someone had hurt my son, I could see going after them with intent to shoot and kill.

I'm just being real and I don't believe that he was so afraid that he grabbed his gun, drove after them and then fired several shots out of fear.

IMO, he was pissed off because they came and robbed him and took justice in his own hands. I can understand that. Don't agree with it, but I understand.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I just don't see that as fear. If I'm afraid someone is going to kill me the last thing I'm going to do is chase after them, armed or not. But anger and revenge I get. If someone had hurt my son, I could see going after them with intent to shoot and kill.

I'm just being real and I don't believe that he was so afraid that he grabbed his gun, drove after them and then fired several shots out of fear.

IMO, he was pissed off because they came and robbed him and took justice in his own hands. I understand. Don't agree with it, but I understand.

People of that age don't act in anger. They are beyond that.

For you to say, you don't think he is fearful? You do have the right to your opinion but I would suggest that unless you are in his shoes, the same age and circumstances don't be so quick to judge. You never know what you would do until you are placed in the same EXACT situation.

The bottom line to it all is that society in general are sick and tired of thug behavior and mentality and aren't going to take it anymore. There is no excuse for what these punks did, they played....they paid...

Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
People of that age don't act in anger. They are beyond that.

For you to say, you don't think he is fearful? You do have the right to your opinion but I would suggest that unless you are in his shoes, the same age and circumstances don't be so quick to judge. You never know what you would do until you are placed in the same EXACT situation.

The bottom line to it all is that society in general are sick and tired of thug behavior and mentality and aren't going to take it anymore. There is no excuse for what these punks did, they played....they paid...
Didn't say I was judging I said I didn't agree with what he did and I don't think fear was what motivated him to drive after them with a gun.

I'm not trying to excuse their behavior. I wouldn't have had a problem with him shooting them had they been on his property but I have a problem with him going to look for them. What's the time frame on fear? What if it had taken him an hour to find them and then he shot? At one point, do you cool off and start thinking rationally again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies