Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
What valid reasons? Being born a free American? Maybe BO should do some more apologizing. This has to be the most ridiculous liberal statist loon mindset of them all. They aren't terrorist, they are just misunderstood..... Maybe the girls from The View could have a talk with them.....
You fail to see, through no real fault of your own, that the US has committed atrocities across the globe: invading sovereign nations that posed no threat, installing pro-American leaders in foreign democracies, deliberately intefering with free elections, committing economic terrorism that results in starvation and poverty, etc. You think in small terms like "terrorists" and never consider that such people and organizations were almost certainly fomented by our own country's actions abroad, as well as promoted and allowed by us, because, after all, how can we justify such a large defense budget if the enemies aren't constantly in the news? The government (and its corporate overlords) is in the business of hiding its crimes so you can have the opinions you have and not pose a threat to their ways. Finally, you seem to suggest that you believe "they hate us for our freedoms". You could not be more wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:49 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That's a pretty ironic charge, considering we've been prosecuting soldiers--ours and others'--for waterboarding since 1901 at the very latest. It's not "liberals" who changed any "definitions".
Another liberal lie. Nobody ever considered waterboarding "torture" until after the Democrats took control of Congress in 2006. Which is why Congress approved waterboarding as part of the military SERE training from the 1960s until the 1990s. Literally tens of thousands of American military men and women have taken this training, without one objection from of the anti-American liberal freak crowd until 2007. But do these liberal freaks have any of this newly found compassion for any of these thousands of so-called "tortured" US military men and women? Of course not, only their anti-American terrorist buddies deserve their sympathy. The hypocrisy and anti-American agenda of these liberal freaks is obvious to anyone with a brain.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Why prosecute a murderer, after all the person is dead?
I already cleared up what I meant in an earlier post

Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
So this is to say you have no issue for the Americans in WWii that were tortured by the Japanese, or those tortured by the N vietnamese.... after all it gains valuable information. Let's tell Sen McCain, I bet he didn't get that memo.
Hey- I am glad that you agree that torture is effective. Do I want our guys to be tortured? Of course not! However, as history has shown, other nations do not necessarily respect our values. Do I want our enemies tortured? Of course! One does not torture friends.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Another liberal lie. Nobody ever considered waterboarding "torture" until after the Democrats took control of Congress in 2006.
Not sure how many times I have to keep dispelling the same ignorance from the same gang of twisted hillbillies, but here it goes:

//www.city-data.com/forum/8437884-post120.html

Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Not sure how many times I have to keep dispelling the same ignorance from the same gang of twisted hillbillies, but here it goes:

//www.city-data.com/forum/8437884-post120.html

Twisted hillbilly? I rather like being a hillbilly. Who cares if they call waterboarding torture, which is the nature of your reference. Like I said, I am all for torturing terrorists, regardless of what they do to them or what they call it. I think that currently they are way too gentle with them and should step it up a notch to be on par with our enemies. You see, our enemies will always torture, whether we do or not, and our behavior will not change thier views at all. They are animals and do not respond to reason, as history has shown. When you beat them down with a stick, like we did to the germans and japanese, we can actually change them into civil people. However, that took a little effort and a few A-bombs to achieve.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Twisted hillbilly? I rather like being a hillbilly. Who cares if they call waterboarding torture, which is the nature of your reference.
Because that was what was being discussed. I like sticking to the subject at hand.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Because that was what was being discussed. I like sticking to the subject at hand.
Okay. Why does it matter what you call it. Is it simply an issue not of practice, but of nomenclature? Would it be more palatable if they called it "water sports" or "bathing with duress"? I do not understand why it makes any difference to you.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Learn from history..You liberals live in LaLa land.
You just dont get it...These quacks have hated us for hundreds of year and you think by waterboarding them it "turn them against us"..LOL read and learn from history !

What Thomas Jefferson learned from the Muslim book of jihad

Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Okay. Why does it matter what you call it. Is it simply an issue not of practice, but of nomenclature? Would it be more palatable if they called it "water sports" or "bathing with duress"? I do not understand why it makes any difference to you.
Of course it's not "simply" an issue of "nomenclature." However, nomenclature is rather important, especially if you wish to stay on the right side of the law.

If the law outlaws torture and waterboarding is, in fact, subsumed under the legal statute defining "torture"--either explicitly in the language of the statute or by custom--then waterboarding is against the law.

In this case, we have a hundred years of practice to call on (as well as common sense and decency, for those of us possessing those attributes) in order to determine the legal status of waterboarding.

If it were called "bathing with duress", all the people I cited would've been prosecuted and found guilty of bathing under duress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies