Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
And when will Barry finish it? Is there an exit strategy?

WHEN will YOU stop trying to weasel out of YOUR original misleading statement?

Or are you just incapable of understanding the difference between starting a war and attempting to finish one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:05 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times

YouTube - Nuke the entire site fom orbit

Old 08-25-2009, 03:05 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
And when will Barry finish it? Is there an exit strategy?
I won't claim that there is. It just doesn't make sense to place the blame where it doesn't belong.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Reagan did in the 1980s. We left our buddies in Afghanistan with plenty of cash, arms, ammunition and power. We paid for it again when they came back to bite us and succeeded.

Then Bush went after them, only to be distracted by a bunch of lies and misinformation, and headed into Iraq. Afghanistan was forgotten, the purpose was no more. It was all about "Iraqi freedom". Taliban and AQ loved it and got the opportunity to expand its roots.

Now, you're proposing the same mistakes that we've already committed TWICE in two decades. If you have another solution besides folding up, forgetting the sacrifice of hundreds of soldiers who died for a reason, please provide so you can help your country. Unlike the republican candidate for president, who apparently knows how to go get Osama Bin Laden (and apparently will tell only if he were elected).

Not me, this is what the left, has been proposing for years. Barry ran on and was elected in a large part because he was going to bring the troops home. I never thought it was a good idea but that's what the left was so pizzed about and insisted that Bush bring the troops home. Never once did I hear a leftist think it would be committing the same mistake we've made in the past.

They just wanted Bush to make the mistake so they wouldn't have to.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Obama NEVER intended to bring the troops home. He really didn't change things in Iraq either. He's on the same withdrawal schedule that Bush proposed.

As for Afghanistan, it is Barry's war now. He is escalating it, he is the Commander in Chief. Things there aren't any better or worse than when Bush took us in, so whatever goes on their rests squarely on Obama's shoulders.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Not me, this is what the left, has been proposing for years. Barry ran on and was elected in a large part because he was going to bring the troops home. I never thought it was a good idea but that's what the left was so pizzed about and insisted that Bush bring the troops home. Never once did I hear a leftist think it would be committing the same mistake we've made in the past.

They just wanted Bush to make the mistake so they wouldn't have to.
Can you make a point without a lie or a misrepresentation? Or is it too much to ask?

Obama was against the war in Iraq. He promised to end it and bring the troops home. He's worked at it. There's a timeline on that. But, we're NOT discussing Iraq in this thread.

I don't know who or what you were listening to, but Obama take on Afghanistan was refreshing. He seemed to understand the problem and how the difficulties we face. He seemed to have learned from the mistakes committed in the 1980s. This is NOT an Afghanistan issue, this is a Hindukush region issue, the mountain range that extends from Afghanistan, thru Pakistan and into Kashmir. He talked about working with the government and focusing on Al Qaeda. He was very clear about Pakistan's role in the whole issue, to help stabilize the region before we can even begin to consider moving out.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Who cares who spearheaded it. Both sides overwhelmingly voted for it.

As for pinning blame on Obama, I'd agree with you.
As a partisan hack like 99.9% of rightwingers, of course you would.

And I love hearing you people try and defend the rationale for invading Iraq.

It's the best example one can see of the dumbing down of America in action.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And I love hearing you people try and defend the rationale for invading Iraq.
The conservative mantra: "we like to hold people accountable, as long as I get to point at someone else".

Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Obama NEVER intended to bring the troops home. He really didn't change things in Iraq either. He's on the same withdrawal schedule that Bush proposed.

As for Afghanistan, it is Barry's war now. He is escalating it, he is the Commander in Chief. Things there aren't any better or worse than when Bush took us in, so whatever goes on their rests squarely on Obama's shoulders.

The neocons thoroughly BOTCHED Afghanistan, they did little to nothing for 6 years but make the tactical situation worse there.

Unfortunately President Obama is scared of being the one to end a mistake, the same problem that has plagued Presidents of both parties before him.

Afghanistan is a disaster, and Iraq was an extremely bloody mistake. Pouring troops or money into a fight in either place is doomed to fail. There is no measurement of "success", and the "security" excuse is a fraud. Having "our guys" in charge doesnt mean more security: It just means we side with those practicing the brutality and killing.

Hopefully the President comes to his senses about Afghanistan, but now that he is in the White House it seems he is much more content to get his war on.

The M.I.C. is still in charge

Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Hopefully the President comes to his senses about Afghanistan, but now that he is in the White House it seems he is much more content to get his war on.
What is the solution? Its repercussions? Who should be held accountable when things in the region go haywire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies