U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 PM

26,684 posts, read 26,828,625 times

Advertisements

A tsunami of home foreclosures is set to hit the US as banks are unable to keep bailing out tenants that can’t afford their rent and struggling home owners show their anger at the financial crisis by giving up on their mortgage, David Karsbøl, chief economist at Saxo Bank, told CNBC.

Tsunami of Home Foreclosures to Hit US: Economist - Economy * Europe * News * Story - CNBC.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM

9,880 posts, read 9,713,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
A tsunami of home foreclosures is set to hit the US as banks are unable to keep bailing out tenants that can’t afford their rent and struggling home owners show their anger at the financial crisis by giving up on their mortgage, David Karsbøl, chief economist at Saxo Bank, told CNBC.

Tsunami of Home Foreclosures to Hit US: Economist - Economy * Europe * News * Story - CNBC.com
I am astounded at the amount of people who openly post that they are walking away from their mortgages. I think this is anger and frustration.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 PM

86,067 posts, read 78,529,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I am astounded at the amount of people who openly post that they are walking away from their mortgages. I think this is anger and frustration.
If you just go over to the mortgage and/or real estate forums there are posts after posts about this. Many of these people tried to work with the banks who are refusing to help them. When you are hundreds of thousands of dollars under water what other choice do you have ?

It's really a sad state of affairs when the government hands billions to the banks to help the mortgage crisis and the banks hoard that money instead so they can make their profits and hand out bonuses

I can't blame these homeowners one bit. These are not the flipper types..not this long into the crisis. The flippers and those who couldn't qualify got their come uppance last year.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM

9,043 posts, read 12,217,500 times
Why would anyone stay in a home that is 30K underwater with little hope of breaking even for many years? Why not just walk away, take the credit hit and apply for an FHA loan with 3% down 2 years later?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 PM

Incredibly, denial is still very fashionable - at least in California. According to HousingTracker.net (HousingTracker.net | Residential Real Estate Listing Statistics by City), the median asking price in San Diego and Los Angeles is back to up $400-$450,000, and most homeowners seem to think this is perfectly fine and acceptable. If I try to say anything negative about the market, they act as if I'm the one who's crazy.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 PM

9,043 posts, read 12,217,500 times
No one in their right mind should be buying homes unless they plan on staying in it for at least 10 years MINIMUM. The market has way too much to fall further after the credit eventually expires and interest rates go up.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 PM

With all of the moratoriums on foreclosures in California, it's been possible for a mortgage holder to live in his house for up to an entire year without paying a dime. The latest moratorium is supposed to end September 15. We'll see if the government extends it even further.

It's madness, I tell ya.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 PM

795 posts, read 1,322,699 times
Quote:

I don't think people are really giving up on their mortgages because of the bailouts. It has more to do with unemployment and low home values. People need jobs to pay their mortgage payments, taxes, bills, and other home related expenses. The people that have jobs may be looking at a home they paid $500,000 a few years that is only worth $300,000. I expect residential foreclosures to rise but I definately wouldn't say a Tsunami is on the way.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM

11,542 posts, read 12,963,808 times
Quote:
With all of the moratoriums on foreclosures in California, it's been possible for a mortgage holder to live in his house for up to an entire year without paying a dime. The latest moratorium is supposed to end September 15. We'll see if the government extends it even further.

It's madness, I tell ya.
You know they will.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 PM

131 posts, read 165,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Why would anyone stay in a home that is 30K underwater with little hope of breaking even for many years? Why not just walk away, take the credit hit and apply for an FHA loan with 3% down 2 years later?

What bank will loan to people who dumped a house after only 2 years?
Most of these people are finding it hard to even rent a place to live let alone buy something that quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies