Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

interesting
1/2 the posts i see on CDF are on the cops for using tasers, the other 1/2 for not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
interesting
1/2 the posts i see on CDF are on the cops for using tasers, the other 1/2 for not.
Well, that is interesting . . . I wonder if some of the folks who argue in favor of the use of tasers might believe they are a preferable alternative to an officer pulling a gun and shooting? If it keeps someone from being shot, then yes, that would be preferable, but too often, I think it just saves the officer from having to use other skills that may have been more appropriate (as far as level of force).

Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, that is interesting . . . I wonder if some of the folks who argue in favor of the use of tasers might believe they are a preferable alternative to an officer pulling a gun and shooting? If it keeps someone from being shot, then yes, that would be preferable, but too often, I think it just saves the officer from having to use other skills that may have been more appropriate (as far as level of force).
Do some abuse it? Sure. Are there occasions when the officer(s) could take the subject down physically? You bet but why take the chance if you don't have to. Would suck to have the perp wrestle your gun from you and put some rounds into you. I'd probably take the path of less resistance and tase away.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Do some abuse it? Sure. Are there occasions when the officer(s) could take the subject down physically? You bet but why take the chance if you don't have to. Would suck to have the perp wrestle your gun from you and put some rounds into you. I'd probably take the path of less resistance and tase away.
And you wouldn't have a problem with a taser coming under the same auspices as regulations for use of a service weapon?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM

454 posts, read 795,915 times
Tazers are this generation's plastic bullets.

Anyone remember those little darlings?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And you wouldn't have a problem with a taser coming under the same auspices as regulations for use of a service weapon?
Would anyone? Seems very reasonable to me. I mean cops don't get to go around whacking people in the head with their batons, shouldn't be allowed to go around electrocuting people willy nilly either.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Tasers are an authoritarian's dream weapon. They can be used to subdue anyone who doesn't submit to your authority, and they supposedly don't leave any lasting damage.

That's why people like the OP like them.

Last edited by idahogie; 08-26-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
Tazers are this generation's plastic bullets.

Anyone remember those little darlings?
Boy, do I.

*rubs his bottom*

Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Tasers are an authoritarian's dream weapon. They can be used to subdue anyone who doesn't submit to your authority, and they supposedly don't leave any lasting damage.

That's why people like the OP like them.

Tasers have been proven safe, 99.7% of people tazed had minor or no injuries, according to a study done by Wake Forrest. They give the police another option between shooting or having to wrestle what could be some one much bigger than yourself.

As far as the OP, the lesson should be learned don't sniff gas and run from the police.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Tasers have been proven safe, 99.7% of people tazed had minor or no injuries, according to a study done by Wake Forrest. They give the police another option between shooting or having to wrestle what could be some one much bigger than yourself.

As far as the OP, the lesson should be learned don't sniff gas and run from the police.
Wake Forest is a MANUFACTURER, hardly an unbiased or reliable source, sorry.

Up to 2004, the death rate from tasers already stood at well over 300, not sure what the total is today.

The death toll is steadily raising from tasers, and will continue to rise.

And so are the incidents of police ABUSING tasers, such as tasering people already in handcuffs.

While it IS an important tool, like any other tool it can be abused, and it is being abused in many circumstances.

Bring tasers under the same auspices as a service weapon when they are deployed, paid suspession and investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies