Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times

Advertisements

I was wondering where political you think the nation will go in the next 10 years.

Personally, I think it will be leaning more liberal.

Alot of the baby-boomers are retiring without enough so thus I think they will be very concerned with fiscal issues. Also, health-care will be a tremendous concern as baby-boomers age. I heavily doubt the politicians are going to touch the third-rails especially considering more voting-age people will be seniors and close to senior-age.

I also think alot of industrial midwest (Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and even Iowa) will become more blue in the next decade. Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin have fairly weak economies so economic populism will rise in that part of the country.

I also think alot of the north-east is likely blue for good, unless some extraordinary happens.

Additionally, Colorado and alot of the inner-mountain west are sort of very alienated with the religious conservatism of the right-wingers and will likely be more blue in the future also. I heavily doubt the conservatives are in a position to lessen the social conservative stances they have because it would alienate the base.

The west is very libertarian and socially moderate and today's conservative's are very socially conservative and that tends alienate a majority of westerners.

Colorado has shifted from the governor and state legislature being red and very conservative in 2000 to being fully-blue in 2007.

I just have a feeling the nation will probubly lean more liberal in the next 10 years then conservative. The conservatives had 12 years from 1994 to 2006 to prove themselves and they went way too far to the right and the country will probubly lean-more left for quite a long time.

Thats just my opinion, where does everyone else think the country is going politically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:06 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
After the US (and world) economy collapses, fiscal conservative/liberal opinions will become moot. Naturally, the social consequences will be dramatic. Some will neither accept nor tolerate what will happen around them and will either lash out or withdraw. The upcoming chaos will affect everyone personally. As a result, I see no movement forward, no future progess without tolerance and acceptance of human differences. Therefore, the future is liberal. Of course, I could be wrong--the totalitarianism that results from the desire to keep things controlled (and conserve the current system out of fear of alternatives) may overwhelm any attempt at redefining our country and our world. That future totalitarianism is already being developed by those running this country, for they are afraid of what might happen if the masses actually have a larger say in national and regional affairs (the secret North American Union talks are an example of this). They don't want to lose their power. Unfortunately for them, the future isn't written yet. The masses will find a way around the level of control that's planned. A wholly different country and world will develop. I'm betting that I will have a say in these matters and I have no intention of giving up my freedom to think, act, and love.

Sorry to be so bleak, but I don't think the current polarization (red/blue, etc.) will have meaning when the dollar sinks to zero and the grocery stores are empty of food.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 04-28-2007 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Not everything the "progressive" liberals are pushing is positive for America.
We already are facing shortages of people with enough education to fill existing professional positions in the area of engineering, science, mathematics and other 21st century technologies.

Unfortunately, not much attention by our society or popular culture has been given to promote the importance of children working in school to enter these fields.

Job creation in 21st century technologies in medicine, alternative energy, next generation transportation are some of America's last opportunities to provide products of substance that will ensure our future.

National healthcare, gay marriage, and global warming will not be very important if the United State's standard of living declines due to the inability of our citizens to compete with countries such as India and Asia who are hungry to learn and eager to grab a larger share of the world's wealth.

As a conservative educator working in a liberal field, I have witnessed more education funds and staffing allocated to social intervention, behavioral, remediation and special education programs and less funds and staffing allocated to the promotion and development of programs capable of preparing our children to compete in the 21st century marketplace.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:33 PM

275 posts, read 434,117 times
I've always felt the American political pendulum was always self-correcting. Whichever side controls the white house, and to a lesser extent the two houses of Congress, is always in the spotlight. Their decisions are taken a part and their mistakes, no matter how trivial, are always broadcast around the world. Thus, in the 60's the Democrat controlled everything and this created a foul odor that was bombarding those who were growing up in it. So, in fear of also stinking like a Liberal, many young people became older neo-cons in the eighties and nineties. Similarly, now that the conservatives have stunk up the place for the better part of the past 30 years, I think in the near future, out of fear of smelling like Bush, younger people will tend to grow old, becoming more liberal-minded.

Don't you think the current overthrow in Congress is an indication that perhaps we have past the peak of the Conservatives and we are trending downhill into a more liberal valley, so to speak? Unless things turn around in Iraq, I think it is safe to say the Republicans are going to fight an uphill battle to win the white house in 2008 (unless Hilary wins the nomination, which changes everything)

Old 04-28-2007, 06:34 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,558 times
I don't think much will change. We're going to continue down this path we're currently on. We're progressively becoming more totalitarian. Corporate control is our future, unless we do something to stop it. Unfortunately, people are too busy watching American Idol to be bothered with politics.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:48 PM

259 posts, read 939,174 times
Quote:
The conservatives had 12 years from 1994 to 2006 to prove themselves and they went way too far to the right and the country will probubly lean-more left for quite a long time.
Hardly!!The country did not go too far to the right during the Clinton--Bush years! These so-called conservatives known as Neo-Cons or the wolf in sheeps clothing are actually Corporate Liberals posing as conservatives. It is for this reason the Neo-Cons were removed in 2006 not because they moved too Far to the Right! Neo-Cons stayed to the left and offered Americans nothing different than the Left-wing Dems!

1. Neo-Cons failed to regain control of the Nations Borders (Immigration) Causing inflation in Housing costs. (slumburbia) And Continued to permit Muslim Immigrants who are terrorist risks to immigrate to the US. (9-11)

2. Neo-Cons failed to Curtail growth of the Government Departments (Home Land security) Many job positons in the Department are no show political patronage jobs! Which contribute to US financial as well as political insecurity!

3. Neo-Cons failed to stop Growth of US Budget and Trade Deficits. (China"s currency (rembi) was fixed in that it was not permitted to float against the US Dollar! As a result prices of basic neccesities and other items were kept inexpensive! This encouraged employers to cut wages of American workers because they did not need as much money to buy things! And congress offered no alternative pricing plan after China readjusted her currency and many dollar stores either closed or Raised their prices.

Last edited by Dee62; 04-28-2007 at 07:00 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 06:52 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,558 times
Conservatives are not against big government. Perhaps you're confusing your stance with Libertarians.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:25 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
well- it doesn't seem this country can be anymore divided than it already is. I read so many posts re: religion, immigration; and yet none of us can control what is happening here. People are upset but cant effect change. Maybe thats why they go to work- then home and watch American Idol- I dont know.

Maybe I was born in the wrong era. Protesting in the 1960's seemed worthwhile. Now it seems hopeless and I am ready to move to Canada or Berkeley.

sunny

Old 04-29-2007, 07:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Unfortunately, many local governments have become so bureaucratic that the average person who wants to express their opinion or voice a concern must sit through 3 hours of motions to add the article "the" or "a" and listen to the debate and then receive no response to their public input given at the beginning of the meeting.

The system promotes procedural moves and does not provide adequate opportunities for dialog or discourse. Those people who are knowledgeable, educated, and reasonable often have young families and busy schedules and find the process inefficient and a waste of valuable time.

Unfortunately, as society gets busier this process will become less and less attractive for the majority of American citizens. This doesn't even address the fact the elected representatives are often more concerned about their backers than the people they represent.

Citizens need to form their own bi-partisan coalitions outside of the traditional governmental structures and work as a united group supporting any candidate regardless of political affiliation that is in the best position to effect the desired change.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:04 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Demographics is an important component in the future cultural/political directions of the USA. When the Conservative revolution began in the late 70s and 1980 you had the large group of baby boomer's entering the workforce. Young and willing to invest, the stock market soared, consumption was broad based.

Being young, this huge group has few concerns about health care.

Flash into today- those boomer's are getting old. Health care is extraordinarily expensive. because of a global economy, job security, along with health care benefits and pensions are not a certainty, and most likely the exception compared to 30-40 years ago.

Also important is that throughout US History, the political pendulum does swing back and fourth. The Conservative trend may have reached its peak, while liberalism has reached its nadir. With the elections last fall, a change took place.

It seems likely now that the Conservative movement may be in retreat- while liberalism is rising from the ashes. People in the nation feel a great deal of economic insecurity. Social and economic change in the both USA and globally have brought his change about.

Reform is the new hot word- reform in health care, in workers rights.
When A CEO from a major drug company gets 100-300 million dollar bailouts- and many cannot afford to buy the medications they need- something is wrong. When ones health is put at the mercy of greedy for profit insurance companies and their shareholders- it says something about what the USA has evolved into. And why change is blowing in the wind.

When a 55 year old man or women looses a job, and has no health care, because of high costs or pre existing conditions- it changes the political thinking of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies