Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,619,517 times

Advertisements

As many of you know, I tend to see things from the right side of the isle, but frankly, I'm beginning to really question where the conservative movement is heading. I really thought when Ron Paul came out, most of us who consider ourselves Libertarians had finally made the big time. But he was trashed relentlessly by the mainstream conservative infastructure, and wasn't even given a second look by much of the right-leaning mainstream. Even the supposed support for "christian values" often dithers away once you leave the Gay Marriage debate. Roe vs Wade isn't even on the table w/ many so called "christian leaders", never mind the vast moral and social decay this country has endured for the last 50 years. It's like most protestant theologains have their brains on "Gays Gays Gays 24/7".

And then there is the free market debate. Pre-2007, I would have believed Bush on his promise of being a capitalist. Now, with bank bailouts and back-room corporate deals, where exactly is the "free markets" everyone talks about? Nevermind our government hasn't shrunk a single dime either.

I don't get it. I don't support most left-leaning ideas like many people my age, but I can't understand exactly what conservatism is today in 2009. Almost all the blogs are talking more about Obama's birth certificate than the fact that Iran is ready for democracy or that Afghanistan is about to fall apart, undoing 8 years of progress.

But what disturbs me the most is this feeling I get when I read some (not all, thankfully) conservative posters/sites. First off, I'm mixed race, and no, I don't use that to excuse any transgressions on my part. However, there is this very vauge and subtle undercurrent of fear/bigotry that seems to become more distinctive year after year. I despise race baiting, and am sicked by the crude and disgusting use of historical tragedies to encourage historically disadvantaged groups to engage in self-destructive behavior. But let's be honest here: Obama himself notwithstanding, ever since 9/11, there's been a very paranoid rethoric towards anything not middle american white christian. Weither it's wild screaming over there being 50 million mexican nationals in the US, thread after thread asking "What's wrong w/ Black people?", and of course don't get me started on the muslim=terrorist bs. I do see an element of people who want us to go back to the 1950s, where there was "Real America" and everyone who fell outside those cultural boundaries could suck rocks.

Lemme let ya'll in on a little secret: The dems win elections based off of the above paragraph. They tell people my age: "Republicans hate you because you're Black/Hispanic/Gay/Wierd/Poor/"different"" And it sticks.

I want someone to answer in their own way what is conservatism to you, becuase I don't know if I recognize it. I'm sure someone will scream how I'm a traitor or "Not a Real Conservative", but for a idea to heal itself, it must be questioned and put to the test, otherwise it will collapse from within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,654,078 times
First of all let me assure you that there are race baiters on both the right and the left and illegal immigration has nothing to do with race but everything to do with legality and the long term ramifications of creating a permanent underclass in order to have cheap labor.

What is conservatism to me? Well, it has nothing to do with religion. At all. It has nothing to do with sexuality and nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with personal freedoms, choices and responsibility. It has everything to do with acknowledging that most people are smart enough and able enough to decide how to live their own lives without infringing upon others rights. It has everything to do with the ability to live as a free citizen under the constraints and promised freedoms of the constitution. It includes a balanced budget and actual transparency within government.

In short it is not the republican party nor is it the democratic party.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,061,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
As many of you know, I tend to see things from the right side of the isle, but frankly, I'm beginning to really question where the conservative movement is heading. I really thought when Ron Paul came out, most of us who consider ourselves Libertarians had finally made the big time. But he was trashed relentlessly by the mainstream conservative infastructure, and wasn't even given a second look by much of the right-leaning mainstream. Even the supposed support for "christian values" often dithers away once you leave the Gay Marriage debate. Roe vs Wade isn't even on the table w/ many so called "christian leaders", never mind the vast moral and social decay this country has endured for the last 50 years. It's like most protestant theologains have their brains on "Gays Gays Gays 24/7".

And then there is the free market debate. Pre-2007, I would have believed Bush on his promise of being a capitalist. Now, with bank bailouts and back-room corporate deals, where exactly is the "free markets" everyone talks about? Nevermind our government hasn't shrunk a single dime either.

I don't get it. I don't support most left-leaning ideas like many people my age, but I can't understand exactly what conservatism is today in 2009. Almost all the blogs are talking more about Obama's birth certificate than the fact that Iran is ready for democracy or that Afghanistan is about to fall apart, undoing 8 years of progress.

But what disturbs me the most is this feeling I get when I read some (not all, thankfully) conservative posters/sites. First off, I'm mixed race, and no, I don't use that to excuse any transgressions on my part. However, there is this very vauge and subtle undercurrent of fear/bigotry that seems to become more distinctive year after year. I despise race baiting, and am sicked by the crude and disgusting use of historical tragedies to encourage historically disadvantaged groups to engage in self-destructive behavior. But let's be honest here: Obama himself notwithstanding, ever since 9/11, there's been a very paranoid rethoric towards anything not middle american white christian. Weither it's wild screaming over there being 50 million mexican nationals in the US, thread after thread asking "What's wrong w/ Black people?", and of course don't get me started on the muslim=terrorist bs. I do see an element of people who want us to go back to the 1950s, where there was "Real America" and everyone who fell outside those cultural boundaries could suck rocks.

Lemme let ya'll in on a little secret: The dems win elections based off of the above paragraph. They tell people my age: "Republicans hate you because you're Black/Hispanic/Gay/Wierd/Poor/"different"" And it sticks.

I want someone to answer in their own way what is conservatism to you, becuase I don't know if I recognize it. I'm sure someone will scream how I'm a traitor or "Not a Real Conservative", but for a idea to heal itself, it must be questioned and put to the test, otherwise it will collapse from within.
The Republican Party is not conservative if that is what you are getting at. That is why it is in dire straits. It has succumbed to the neocon , middle America bible thumpers. Which is just as detrimental as the democrats succumbing to the Left coast, Acorn supporting, Soros loving, San Francisco radicals. This is why our nation is so greatly divided. Because the powers that be have fooled many Americans into this division.

They have forced American voters to take sides and bicker instead of finding compromises. I do not see any indication that Republicans and Democrats know the first thing about compromise and that will be the greatest aggressor against progress in America. But the parties like it that way, the more we are divided as a people the more they gain power.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,485,173 times
What exactly is "Conservatism" today?

Unfortunately it's whatever the mainstream media tells it to be..Just look at the number of threads touting foxnew's ratings. Despite fox admitting that they lie and proclaiming that it is their right to lie, people gather their "news" from them. Conservatism has to stop moving forward with the country. It's like a store that just can't pick up new business. They have the same ole' salesman(fox, rush, etc) and they only have one item on the shelves to sell(tax cuts). That's it, nothing fresh, nothing new, nothing innovative. When that happens, a business is doomed to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies