Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
History has shown America to be overall a beacon of light. Have there been mistakes- of course. But we have nothing to show the rest of the world anymore. We destroyed Hitler, We bullied the brutal Soviet Union and their cronies until they collapsed. We do not just hold ourselves up... we lead by example. And America overall has been a great example to the civilized world.
And our support of Saddam Hussein? Our support of the Shah of Iran? Our support of Musharraf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, don't MYOB. The United States is part of this world. The citizens of the United States should try to hear how the rest of the world perceives us. We cannot hold ourselves up as a shining example to the rest of the world as a successful democracy, and then shun the rest of the world when it points out our faults.
i couldnt care less what example we hold ourselves up to in the world. the opinion of the rest of the world means nothing. they care only about themselves and thats a good philosophy.

obama weakens america. londonlawyer likes obama. makes perfect sense.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
And our support of Saddam Hussein? Our support of the Shah of Iran? Our support of Musharraf?
problem?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Human beings can be violent horrible creatures generally raised to keep a lid on it.....keep it repressed
Too many times that lid gets lifted.

The other night I caught a flash on TV of some woman viciously beating the living s**t out of another.
It was called a sport....boxing.
Video games and movies glorify violence.
Men sent to war are taught to KILL.
Then when they do we wonder how and why.
I know I wouldn't want to share head space or memories with any of the men that were at Mai Lai .

Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
problem?
We don't live in a country separate from the rest of the world. We are a part of the global community. The perception the rest of the world has of us has an impact on you, me, on every citizen of this country.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,338 times
Quote:
You should, though. The food you put on your table? Did you grow it yourself? Or did you buy it at the supermarket? Chances are, a substantial portion of it originated in another country.

The clothes you wear, the toys your children play with, the components of your computer. We don't live in a world where one country can cut itself off from the rest of the world and be totally self-sufficient. Especially not the United States. Our debt, our food supply, our entire economy is tied up with the rest of the world's. More than that, our borders are so porous that our country will be on the forefront of any global pandemics. We also have to be aware that because of our past actions, there are enemies around the world who wish our country ill. Isolationism simply isn't a logical strategy in the modern world.
you are correct about the bad people meaning us harm, the more reason to not care about them. I'm not saying that I don't care for them as a human being, I just don't care what they think at all.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:43 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
I said there have been mistakes. Overall you cannot dispute the nobility of America. We are rarely the "bad guy" in global confrontation.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
We don't live in a country separate from the rest of the world. We are a part of the global community. The perception the rest of the world has of us has an impact on you, me, on every citizen of this country.
DC, I think you are missing that some are speaking from strictly a military standpoint. I do not believe that mixes in with economic trade in most instances.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
you are correct about the bad people meaning us harm, the more reason to not care about them. I'm not saying that I don't care for them as a human being, I just don't care what they think at all.
What you're really saying is that you've given up.

We can't change the past. But we can influence the future. We can do better in our international affairs than we've done in the past. And if we do better, we can live in a world that looks at us more favorably. A world that will support our efforts to achieve peace. A world that will cooperate with us to distribute food and assistance during humanitarian emergencies. This is not the time to sit back and say you don't care.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Ok my response was knee jerk, but the blatent shot at us from someone who probably does not live here or know us. Calling us bloodthirsty and we support ruthless dictatorships?

My post was the only one that deserved to be called out?
Uh we, as a nation we have and do for strategic? I don't know what to tell you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies