Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

I'm glad he went to the Eagles. He stinks as a QB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
So much for the new post-racial era inaugurated with Obama's election. Clearly the race card is too valuable to give up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Anyone that ever got joy or excitement from the suffering of an animal, can never be "rehabilitated." This is a major flaw in a person's DNA. Vick might not do this again as it would surely kill his career and give him a stiffer sentence, but if he could, he would. Like the character in "A Clockwork Orange" he might be programmed to not indulge, but the initial urge is always there. People still idolize their sport's heroes even when they are caught using steroids, so what does that say about the industry and the fans?
This was actually about money not the joy and excitement of seeing an animal die. These fools bet on these dogs just as people bet on horses and for that matter, boxers and MMA fighters. Sad but true, but in no way was this horrible crime sadistically motivated. It was finacially motivated by a bunch of ill-sophisticated street thugs, to include Vick.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
This was actually about money not the joy and excitement of seeing an animal die. These fools bet on these dogs just as people bet on horses and for that matter, boxers and MMA fighters. Sad but true, but in no way was this horrible crime sadistically motivated. It was finacially motivated by a bunch of ill-sophisticated street thugs, to include Vick.
I rarely agree with you but this take is spot on.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
The NAACP is just going to make things worse for Vick. There is already going to be negative media attention around him, now the NAACP is going to play the race card and turn even more people away from Vick.
It's true that the NAACP probably feels an obligation to support Vick, however misguided that belief may be. As to turning people away from him...that's hardly an issue. The Eagles extended a contract to him and he signed it. Unless there's a total boycott--game played before a completely empty stadium--all the protesting in the world isn't going to make a difference.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Just another act of the NAACP to show how racist they are.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
If not sadistically motivated, then a blatant display of lack of empathy, sympathy and a frightening callousness. I used to enjoy watching The Kentucky Derby as it very often falls out on my b'day and in fact placed a bet and won three times, always on my b'day. When I realized that there were abuses going on within the racing industry, such as racing horses that were too young or horses with injuries, I got turned off and no longer partake. I am not thoroughly convinced that there is not a perverse excitement within some of the thugs that promote and indulge in this garbage, watching an ignorant creature get torn apart.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-27-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:

Mostly about money and bravado, but why the tortuous acts like hanging, drowing, electroction, etc? Why not just 1 bullet to the head to stop the suffering as soon as possible? He obvioulsy got some kind of twisted kick out of the abuse.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
When did it become illegal or absurd for a private group to support somebody who is trying to make ammends for a past transgression? Some animal rights groups are actually working with Vick. If someone wants to boo Vick, that's fine as it is fine for anybody who wants to cheer him and support him. People seem to want Vick to be punished and ridiculed forever. He did a horrible thing, been punished severely, and is doing everything he can to make up for it. If he was acting like an arrogant athlete, I'd be on the boo Vick bandwagon myself, but he's not.

The same people who want Vick to drown will turn a blind eye to those who led us into a fake war that led to the deaths of 100s of thousands of humans.
Vick was seen drinking in an airport recently.

GROTZ: Vick must shape up away from field - The Delaware County Daily Times : Serving Delaware County, PA(DelcoTimes.com)

He is an arrogant, stupid, Heartless HUMAN BEING. not athlete.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Mostly about money and bravado, but why the tortuous acts like hanging, drowing, electroction, etc? Why not just 1 bullet to the head to stop the suffering as soon as possible? He obvioulsy got some kind of twisted kick out of the abuse.
Nothing is obvious. A bullet in the head is just as horrible as anything else. Again, sadly some of these techniques were used as a method to toughen these dogs. Ill-sophisticated people do ill-sophisticated things but Jeffrey Dahmer they are not, street thugs they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Vick was seen drinking in an airport recently.

He is an arrogant, stupid, Heartless HUMAN BEING. not athlete.
I was seen drinking at an airport recently, so? He didn't violate the terms of anything by doing so. Neither the NFL or his Federal Probation Officer have taken any action. The dude can have one drink..

Old 08-27-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
If not sadistically motivated, then a blatant display of lack of empathy, sympathy and a frightening callousness. I used to enjoy watching The Kentucky Derby as it very often falls out on my b'day and in fact placed a bet and won three times, always on my b'day. When I realized that there were abuses going on within the racing industry, such as racing horses that were too young or horses with injuries, I got turned off and no longer partake. I am not thoroughly convinced that there is not a perverse excitement within some of the thugs that promote and indulge in this garbage, watching an ignorant creature get torn apart.
It was all those things bolded and I would say those things are characteristics of anybody against a UHC option. Just my opinion

There was certainly a perverse excitement involved, the same one that drives us all to horror movies, bloody boxing and MMA fights and "jackass" like stunts. These guys chose to watch dogs instead of people tear themselves apart and were probably so desensitized and stupid to realize that the acts they were committing were not only illegal but morally wrong. There was no excuse for what Vick and Co. did but they're just products of a society that draws pleasure and financial reward from extreme violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies