Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
And almost every nation has lower populations, less cars on the road, less murders, etc. But let's not do too much research into where those numbers all come from, as we don't want to get in the way of your rhetoric.
In every age category Canada has lower death rates than the USA - even when accounting for cause for of death.

Top 5 causes of death by cause and age category:
Flickr Photo Download: Mortality Rates by Age and Cause (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41038613@N05/3780501366/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Mortality rates by age group:
Flickr Photo Download: Mortality Rates by Age (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41038613@N05/3779602953/sizes/o/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I would forgo a public health care plan for a ban on hand guns.
Be our guest.

While lawbreakers don't really care about handgun bans (hence the term "lawbreaker")...you go ahead and click those red ruby slippers together!

No fan of the thinking that gubmint invtervention into health care will save anyone money here, either.

What did I see the other day regarding C4C? $2.8 billion bucks spent to hand out only $1.4 billion in vouchers so far. So, the gubmint is 33% efficient, which is better than I thought--not saying much there, though.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Lame. In the late 40s victorious England decided to go social in its health delivery system. Completely taken over by the English government akin to the Soviets with some private insurance companies. Germany on the other hand has a complete mix public and private, most is private but the insurance companies in Germany are regulated sufficiently like it should be here in the states.
The OP has opined on how good Germany is in terms of their UHC system. The high level of discipline, etc. It seems fair to make some comparisons. Nazism relied on the obedience and discipline of the German sheeple. Figure he could run with it a bit. Not the bad part of Nazism of course with the genocide and warmongering, but the good parts instead.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
In every age category Canada has lower death rates than the USA - even when accounting for cause for of death.

Top 5 causes of death by cause and age category:
Flickr Photo Download: Mortality Rates by Age and Cause (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41038613@N05/3780501366/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Mortality rates by age group:
Flickr Photo Download: Mortality Rates by Age (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41038613@N05/3779602953/sizes/o/ - broken link)
You still can't draw a conclusion about the healthcare systems from this. It's simply stating what people are dying from at each age. In some age groups we're more likely to die from heart disease than cancer and in some, it's cancer. That's the same for them. It doesn't say that you would live longer if you were getting care under one system versus the other.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We ought to be ashamed!
I am ashamed:

#1 - That our citizens are not critical thinkers. It's easier for them to label someone an idiot or wingnut, it's easier for them to find a fact and run with it, than it is for them to think the fact through to discover why the fact is a fact.

Brings me to my point.

I am ashamed:

#2 - That we are one of the fattest, most obese countries in the world. Fast food nation, potato chips and soda. Maybe that is why our life expectancy is less than other countries. Do you think that has anything to do with it? Yes!

Fat Countries

Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
We have in my opinion about 40 million illegals in America and they are pouring in from 3rd world countries with all kinds of health problems; they are counted in the deaths.

I might add, a government health plan for 400,000,000 people is insane; plus you will not be asked if you are legal so all the illegals will get the same doctors you do, free, free, free, as you pay taxes through the nose.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:21 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You still can't draw a conclusion about the healthcare systems from this. It's simply stating what people are dying from at each age. In some age groups we're more likely to die from heart disease than cancer and in some, it's cancer. That's the same for them. It doesn't say that you would live longer if you were getting care under one system versus the other.
But what part of the access to medical care you don't understand? In the free world this is not an issue except the States. Many working people in the states forgo medical care for many reasons including exclusion from insurance and the costs. In europe there is no excuse not to see a doctor. Connect the dots.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
But what part of the access to medical care you don't understand? In the free world this is not an issue except the States. Many working people in the states forgo medical care for many reasons including exclusion from insurance and the costs. In europe there is no excuse not to see a doctor. Connect the dots.
As I pointed out, the data offered does not allow a conclusion to be reached either way regarding the healthcare systems, and that is all I pointed out. I never said anything about one versus the other. I never said I thought our system was perfect and didn't need some change. I'm just not willing to accept statistics that do not lead to a real conclusion as meaning that we need a system like the Canadian system.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
If comparisons with other countries are to be dismissed then what is the basis of the claims that socialized medicine will kill old folks (no evidence of this in other countries) and "America has the world's best healthcare system"?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Look how low the USA ranks in life expectancy. Right next to Puerto Rico. We ought to be ashamed! Almost every nation that is higher than us enjoys public healthcare or at least "the public option"!

List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
this is what I keep saying! We can do better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies