Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
I don't think there will be any loophole. You don't need to show any citizenship once you have been approved for the card. All you need is the health card. To get the card you have already proven you are a citizen. And only the government can activate the chip in the card.

I really think people have been made to believe in this rubbish, to try and gain support against UHC. I'm sure insurance companies are desperate now... They know they can't deny people insurance, and can't cut them off either once a bill goes through! They actually will have to provide what they promise... uuuuuhhh. That must really worry them. No wonder they work by senseless propaganda to masses of people who are not aware how things would really work, since they have no exposure to a UHC system.
This isn't from the insurance companies.

Health care bill has curious coverage for illegal immigrants - CNN.com

"The report, prepared by the nonpartisan policy research arm of Congress, provides a close reading of the treatment of noncitizens in the House bill on health care reform, HR 3200.

While the report found that federal subsidies to obtain health coverage would be restricted to U.S. citizens and legal residents, it also noted that the bill does not specify a citizenship verification system, something that critics say creates a loophole for undocumented immigrants to receive subsidies anyway.

The report, released Tuesday, "undermines the claims of the president and others that illegal immigrants would not be covered under the House version of the bill," Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Washington-based Center for Immigration Studies, told CNN."

"Rep. Dean Heller, R-Nevada, last month proposed an amendment in the House Ways and Means Committee to add a verification process. Democrats on that committee, including Rep. Xavier Becerra of California, voted it down because the rules it called for would be "unworkable," the Democrat said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypton View Post
EVERYONE in the US has access to health care, and it's much faster than in countries with UHC. Not everyone has affordable access to insurance. Please get your facts straight. I don't have insurance but I DO have access to health care. Top notch health care.
Get your facts straight. I bet in your little box access to healthcare means going to the emergency room. Think a little deeper, many human ailments go beyond a simple splint or a particular medicine. It's emergency care only and its temporary. Many people with serious conditions that are chronic do not have access to the care they need for many reasons. The lack of insurance, the lack of money or because they fit squarely in that realm where they are not destitute enough to qualify medicaid but do not have the resources to pay for treatment. It happens all the time and is quite common. The US has the best healthcare in the world, ask you Congressman and their family, I'm sure they'll agree. But for many its moot. As for europe not providing healthcare to it's citizens in a timely manner, it is a joke heard around the world and the US is the brunt of it.

I'd suggest crypton that you purchase insurance asap.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Get your facts straight. I bet in your little box access to healthcare means going to the emergency room. Think a little deeper, many human ailments go beyond a simple splint or a particular medicine. It's emergency care only and its temporary. Many people with serious conditions that are chronic do not have access to the care they need for many reasons. The lack of insurance, the lack of money or because they fit squarely in that realm where they are not destitute enough to qualify medicaid but do not have the resources to pay for treatment. It happens all the time and is quite common. The US has the best healthcare in the world, ask you Congressman and their family, I'm sure they'll agree. But for many its moot. As for europe not providing healthcare to it's citizens in a timely manner, it is a joke heard around the world and the US is the brunt of it.
So why choose to overhaul the entire system instead of looking at reforms and strategies to give those people access to the current system?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
So why choose to overhaul the entire system instead of looking at reforms and strategies to give those people access to the current system?
I'm all for that as soon as the insurance industry agrees to remove itself from sitting squarely between the patient and the doctor, calling all the shots. That is the current system.
Keep in mind the reforms that Obama has put forth so far really is what you are suggesting. If you cut to the chase, really, all his reforms boil down to is forcing everyone to purchase insurance from the private sector. And this is where the private sector is in agreement with and may concede on some issues such as insuring those with pre-existing conditions. This to me is a patch, nothing more.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'm all for that as soon as the insurance industry agrees to remove itself from sitting squarely between the patient and the doctor, calling all the shots. That is the current system.
Keep in mind the reforms that Obama has put forth so far really is what you are suggesting. If you cut to the chase, really, all his reforms boil down to is forcing everyone to purchase insurance from the private sector. And this is where the private sector is in agreement with and may concede on some issues such as insuring those with pre-existing conditions. This to me is a patch, nothing more.
That hasn't been my experience with my insurance, although it may be with some. My doctors do what they think needs to be done and then they submit to my insurance company what has been done. Different things get covered at different rates, but the decisions aren't made by insurance.

I may be missing something because I haven't seen how the current plans on the table force everyone to buy from the private sector. Why would the government option even be discussed if that was the case?

I do think there needs to be some change in the insurance industry as you say though.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:35 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I would forgo a public health care plan for a ban on hand guns.
Right, because hand guns kill oh so many more people than say.... Cars.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
It is bogus and here's why. For it to be an accurate comparison, the only thing having an influence on the numbers would need to be healthcare. We have high rates of auto accidents. We have high rates of youth violence and crime. These things along with others have an influence on life expectancy and bring our number down. This is not a direct comparison of healthcare systems.
So, what you're saying is that we are failing as a nation because:

a) we depend on automobiles (very conservative lifestyle value)

b) we have extensive access to weapons (very conservative lifestyle value)

Sometimes I think the liberals might be onto something.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
That hasn't been my experience with my insurance, although it may be with some. My doctors do what they think needs to be done and then they submit to my insurance company what has been done. Different things get covered at different rates, but the decisions aren't made by insurance.

I may be missing something because I haven't seen how the current plans on the table force everyone to buy from the private sector. Why would the government option even be discussed if that was the case?

I do think there needs to be some change in the insurance industry as you say though.
He speaks of a one payer system eventually but not now. He speaks of a system that will compete with the private sector. That system is the private sector contracted to them by the Fed. As far as insurance interfering in your healthcare it happens all the time. It depends on what kind of insurance, HMO vs PPO, Keiser type of insurance etc. Doctors have a signed contract with the insurance company to avoid certain costs and are rewarded in following their guidelines. HMOs are the worst by far followed by Kieser and their appointed hospitals and then PPOs.One getting ill with a flu or broken bones, accidents etc do not bring up red flags with the insurance companies but many chronic conditions will get their attention real quick, make no mistake and will interfere immediately causing many to go bankrupt very quickly if not resolved. You can tell if you've been flagged by finding yourself frequently calling the insurance company.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So, what you're saying is that we are failing as a nation because:

a) we depend on automobiles (very conservative lifestyle value)

b) we have extensive access to weapons (very conservative lifestyle value)

Sometimes I think the liberals might be onto something.
Where did I say we're "failing as a nation?" I simply said the data provided does not allow a clear comparison of healthcare systems. Nice job twisting my words though - pretty impressive.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
He speaks of a one payer system eventually but not now. He speaks of a system that will compete with the private sector. That system is the private sector contracted to them by the Fed. As far as insurance interfering in your healthcare it happens all the time. It depends on what kind of insurance, HMO vs PPO, Keiser type of insurance etc. Doctors have a signed contract with the insurance company to avoid certain costs and are rewarded in following their guidelines. HMOs are the worst by far followed by Kieser and their appointed hospitals and then PPOs.One getting ill with a flu or broken bones, accidents etc do not bring up red flags with the insurance companies but many chronic conditions will get their attention real quick, make no mistake and will interfere immediately causing many to go bankrupt very quickly if not resolved. You can tell if you've been flagged by finding yourself frequently calling the insurance company.

I don't deny that there are problems with the insurance industry. I agree with much of what you've cited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies