Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times

Advertisements

Take heart in that those plants in the town center meetings who got so much media are not indicative of liberals holding strong. This forum is no true indication of how strong the Democrats are. Obama knows (and so do the Democrats in Congress) that they cannot fail their Democratic base, and will have to push on, push hard, and push through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevk View Post
as the procession rolls through the streets of boston and the people say good bye to the "the lion", i ask how many of you will fight for what the kennedys stood for? All 4 of them are gone now and 3 of them gave their lives for america. For you and me. And the lion fought for all of us until his last breath of life.
As we lay the irish warhorse to eternal rest, let's all resolve to continue the fight for the ideals for which he stood and to fight against the forces of darkness of the republican party. To stand with resolve at the gates of freedom and equality and guard them from enemies foreign and domestic. Let us all stand together as one nation dedicated to the kennedy ideals.
Let us all fight as he did for justice and for the working people of america. Yes, he had his failings and we cannot ignore those but his good far outweighs his shortcomings. We shall choose to remember the good things he did for his country. The country he loved shall always love him and stand by his ideals.
Rip teddy, you have earned it!
lol

Old 08-27-2009, 04:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As the procession rolls through the streets of Boston and the people say good bye to the "the lion", I ask how many of you will fight for what the Kennedys stood for?
Oh, knock it off KevK - you have started enough threads on ole Teddy - enough already

As for how many are going to "fight for" what Kennedy "stood for"? Don't hold your breath Kev - the health care bill is almost as dead as Teddy is.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
LMAO!!!!! Are you kidding me? Kennedy was a crock and a killer. Am I sorry his is gone? Nope not one bit. I only hope we keep any other Kennedy's out of politics.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 PM

243 posts, read 343,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
LMAO!!!!! Are you kidding me? Kennedy was a crock and a killer. Am I sorry his is gone? Nope not one bit. I only hope we keep any other Kennedy's out of politics.

Kennedy was the first to admit he was a very flawed man so it cracks me up when people like you think you are accomplishing anything by bashing him.

He did many great things for the people of this country.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Good thread Kev, too bad the right wingnuts came in showing their ignorance...
Hey, it's not only people on the "right" that couldn't stand him and his family's corrupt ways.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Yes, we MUST keep Mary Jo's memory alive!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 PM

243 posts, read 343,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Yes, we MUST keep Mary Jo's memory alive!

You are respecting that woman by using her in stupid jokes and insults?

I'm responsible enough notto get in the car with a drunk because he may drive off a bridge. Was she?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:22 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
The Last of the Kennedy Dynasty

As soon as his cancer was detected, I noticed the immediate attempt at the "canonization" of old Teddy Kennedy by the mainstream media.
They are saying what a "great American" he is. I say, let's get a couple things clear & not twist the facts to change the real history.

1. He was caught cheating at Harvard when he attended it. He was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.

2. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. Oops! The man can't count to four! His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England (a step up from bootlegging liquor into the US from Canada during prohibition), pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea , where a war was raging. No preferential treatment for him! (like he charged that President Bush received).

3. Kennedy was assigned to Paris , never advanced beyond the rank of private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged. Imagine a person of his "education" NEVER advancing past the rank of private!

4. While attending law school at the University of Virginia, he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood with his headlights off after dark. Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked. Coincidentally, he passed the bar exam in 1959.

5. In 1964, he was seriously injured in a plane crash and hospitalized for several months. Test results done by the hospital at the time he was admitted had shown he was legally intoxicated. The results of those tests remained a "state secret" until in the 1980's when the report was unsealed.

Didn't hear about that from the unbiased media, did we?

6. On July 19, 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts . At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's' keys to his Oldsmobile limousine and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker.

Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond.

7. He swam to shore and walked back to the party passing several houses and a fire station. Two friends then returned with him to the scene of the accident.

According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities. Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep. Kennedy called the police the next morning and by then the wreck had already been discovered.

Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car. The Kennedy family began "calling in favors", ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of- state to her family before an autopsy could be conducted. Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne and he didn't call police because he was in a state of shock.

It is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, and he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight. Since the accident Kennedy's "political enemies" have referred to him as the distinguished Senator from Chappaquiddick.

He pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, and was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF TWO MONTHS.

Kopechne's family received a small payout from the Kennedy's insurance policy and never sued. There was later an effort to have her body exhumed and autopsied, but her family successfully fought against this in court, and Kennedy's family paid their attorney's bills.... A "token of friendship"?

8. Kennedy has held his Senate seat for more than forty years, but considering his longevity, his accomplishments seem scant. He authored or argued for legislation that ensured a variety of civil rights, increased the minimum wage in 1981, made access to health care easier for the indigent, funded Meals on Wheels for fixed-income seniors, and is widely held as the "standard-bearer for Liberalism". In his very first Senate roll he was the floor manager for the bill that turned U.S. immigration policy upside down and opened the floodgate for immigrants from third world countries.

9. Since that time, he has been the prime instigator and author of every expansion of an increase in immigration up to and including the latest attempt to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. Not to mention the pious grilling he gave the last two Supreme Court nominees, as if he was the standard bearer for the nation in matters of "what's right".

10. He is known around Washington as a public drunk, loud, boisterous, and very disrespectful to ladies.

Let's not allow the spin doctors to make this ??? a hero. How quickly the American public forgets what his real legacy is.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdoc View Post
Kennedy was the first to admit he was a very flawed man so it cracks me up when people like you think you are accomplishing anything by bashing him.

He did many great things for the people of this country.

LOL I am not trying to accomplish a thing. I am stating my thoughts on him. So crack up all you want the man was a loser and deserved to be in jail, he was way beyond flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies