Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are gays a threat to the public good?
Yes 36 12.16%
No 244 82.43%
Maybe 2 0.68%
Sometimes 12 4.05%
I don't know 2 0.68%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times

Advertisements

gay men have been banned from donating blood for over 25 years. the ban was put into place in 1983.

so how exactly were they "poisoning america's blood supply" in the 90s?

the fact is, if a gay man has one partner in his life, and he is that partner's only partner, he is at no more risk of contracting HIV than anyone else. blood donation restrictions should be based on behavior, not orientation. for instance the question could be are you a gay man who has had unprotected sex with more than one partner since 1980 or whatever. i think this is a fair distinction to make and gay rights organizations are right to fight for it. saying that gay rights orgs want (or wanted) to infect more people with HIV is just loony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,398,686 times
The vast majority of people are heterosexual. The vast majority of rapists, murderers, paedophiles, wife beaters, terrorists, thieves, vandals etc are heterosexual.

Therefore...heterosexuals are apparently a far bigger threat to the public good than homosexuals.

See how ridiculous the whole topic is?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,296,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
gay men have been banned from donating blood for over 25 years. the ban was put into place in 1983.

so how exactly were they "poisoning america's blood supply" in the 90s?

the fact is, if a gay man has one partner in his life, and he is that partner's only partner, he is at no more risk of contracting HIV than anyone else. blood donation restrictions should be based on behavior, not orientation. for instance the question could be are you a gay man who has had unprotected sex with more than one partner since 1980 or whatever. i think this is a fair distinction to make and gay rights organizations are right to fight for it. saying that gay rights orgs want (or wanted) to infect more people with HIV is just loony.
The documentary was done in the 90's. Many gay's now as well as then engage in unprotected group sex as I am sure you well know. I am not trying to stereotype all gays as indulging in reckless behavior, but there is a segment of the gay population that are very reckless and for some reason that behavior is tolerated, and not criticized by the community at large. If it were not for that behavior we would not have the problem with HIV today.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,555,186 times
Thumbs down your stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The documentary was done in the 90's. Many gay's now as well as then engage in unprotected group sex as I am sure you well know. I am not trying to stereotype all gays as indulging in reckless behavior, but there is a segment of the gay population that are very reckless and for some reason that behavior is tolerated, and not criticized by the community at large. If it were not for that behavior we would not have the problem with HIV today.
Because of the stereotype you espouse, many heterosexuals avoid HIV testing & therefore endanger themselves & their sexual counterparts.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
this is a far cry from the claims you previously made.

are you sure you have the name of the documentary right? i can't find any information about it at all. what time period was the documentary covering? you said it was about when the epidemic started in the 90s (even though it started in the 80s).

you said that gay rights organizations tried, and apparently succeeded, at getting rid of restrictions on gay men donating blood (despite the fact that that restriction has never been lifted by the red cross since its inception) and intentionally introduced HIV+ blood into blood banks (despite the fact that testing of blood donations for HIV started in 1985).

you also said that almost all hemophiliacs in the US died of AIDS due to this. there has to be some kind of information to be found about this happening. please find it and show it to me.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,417,461 times
Quote:
Wrong, to understand the truth about this you have to go back to the 1990's when these epidemics were beginning. There was a program done by PBS in the 90's titled "The Poisoning of the American Blood Supply" in which they documented the pressure gay rights organizations put on the American Red Cross to use blood from the gay community knowing full well that it was contaminated. The belief of these organizations at the time, was that by infecting the general population, it would increase emphasis on finding a cure. The direct effect was the death of most hemophiliacs at that time. It was the reckless behavior of the gay community that began this epidemic, and how it is spread now is irrelevant.
And aliens started the human race and Elvis is alive and well and living in Tuscon.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM

here's what i found about hemophiliacs and AIDS:

USA Today Examines HIV/AIDS Among Hemophiliacs, History Of Virus In U.S. Blood Supply

yes, a lot of hemophiliacs, about half, did contract HIV in the late 70s and early 80s. most of these infections happened before doctors fully understood how the virus was transmitted.

so where's the giant gay conspiracy to infect people with AIDS again?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,417,461 times
Quote:
1. Name of documentary.
2. Prove your "wild gay orgy" comment.
3. How many heteroes do you think indulge in "risky sexual behavior" and are, in fact, infected with HIV/AIDs?

What you have offered here so far is empty bigoted and hateful propeganda and rhetoric pushed by anti-gay religious organizations.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,296,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
this is a far cry from the claims you previously made.

are you sure you have the name of the documentary right? i can't find any information about it at all. what time period was the documentary covering? you said it was about when the epidemic started in the 90s (even though it started in the 80s).

you said that gay rights organizations tried, and apparently succeeded, at getting rid of restrictions on gay men donating blood (despite the fact that that restriction has never been lifted by the red cross since its inception) and intentionally introduced HIV+ blood into blood banks (despite the fact that testing of blood donations for HIV started in 1985).

you also said that almost all hemophiliacs in the US died of AIDS due to this. there has to be some kind of information to be found about this happening. please find it and show it to me.
In the first place let me say I am not here to do your research for you. Secondly I do not expect you to believe anything regardless of how much proof I supply due to your bias on the subject. That being said; here is a link for an article discussing the show. While it is extremely politically incorrect, it is factual, and I do not think anyone can accuse Frontline of being anti gay.
Review/Television; On AIDS and the Nation's Blood Supply - The New York Times

Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
In the first place let me say I am not here to do your research for you. Secondly I do not expect you to believe anything regardless of how much proof I supply due to your bias on the subject. That being said; here is a link for an article discussing the show. While it is extremely politically incorrect, it is factual, and I do not think anyone can accuse Frontline of being anti gay.
Review/Television; On AIDS and the Nation's Blood Supply - The New York Times
it's not MY research when YOU make a claim and fail to back it up.

and your original post has an incorrect name for the documentary. how exactly am i supposed to find anything out when you've given us bad information to begin with?

finally, the article that you linked to says absolutely nothing about gay rights groups deliberately tainting the blood supply with HIV, only that some groups complained about infringements on their civil rights when the red cross tried to ban gay men from giving blood. it mostly faults blood banks for stalling on instituting testing of all donations.

i'd think that if, as you claim, the documentary actually shows that gay groups deliberately and knowingly introduced HIV into the blood supply, it would be a big enough deal to be at least mentioned in the article, if not making the headline.

i am seriously wondering if you've actually seen this documentary or if you just read about it on some blog or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies