Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are gays a threat to the public good?
Yes 36 12.16%
No 244 82.43%
Maybe 2 0.68%
Sometimes 12 4.05%
I don't know 2 0.68%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,021,727 times

Advertisements

What torment did your gay friends go through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

If someone got to see first hand the torment of what my gay friends have gone through they would never say it's simply a 'choice'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 PM

It's much easier to change homophobia (an irrational fear, anxiety, and hatred) than it is to change a sexual orientation.

I suggest therapy for all HOMOPHOBES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Sorry, but the entire mental health profession says you are wrong.

We have a choice whether to follow the word of an ancient manuscript with questionable motives, or the psychiactric peer review group responsible for the DSM diagnosis and treatment codex used by most of the world.

I'll choose the science any day of the week.

And if you're going to make ignroant statements, either expect to get "trashed", don't make them, or even better, get educated on the matter.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,682,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What torment did your gay friends go through?
Both verbal and physical abuse throughout high school (one ended up dropping out and going to continuation, which is how we met). One was also kicked out of his house at 14 because he came out to his religious parents, his dad actually hit him with his truck when he tried to come back a few weeks later.

It was the verbal abuse that really got to him though... we lived in a fairly small town and there weren't a whole lot of 'out of the closet' gay people at the time so everyone knew he was gay, regardless of the way he acted. None of that would have happened if he had 'chosen' to like girls.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,812,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Both verbal and physical abuse throughout high school (one ended up dropping out and going to continuation, which is how we met). One was also kicked out of his house at 14 because he came out to his religious parents, his dad actually hit him with his truck when he tried to come back a few weeks later.

It was the verbal abuse that really got to him though... we lived in a fairly small town and there weren't a whole lot of 'out of the closet' gay people at the time so everyone knew he was gay, regardless of the way he acted. None of that would have happened if he had 'chosen' to like girls.
Hitting your child with a vehicle? How sad and upsetting at the same time.

I have a cousin who I've always known is gay and his mother just thinks she can "beat the gay out of him."
Thank goodness my mom isn't like that. She accepted me immediately. At first she thought it was a phase but came to see that it wasn't.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:47 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,701,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I have a cousin who I've always known is gay and his mother just thinks she can "beat the gay out of him."
things like that happen all the time, and some people have the gall to use the high incidence of depression and suicide in gay teens as an argument that homosexuality is bad.

sick.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,745,382 times
Quote:

Thank goodness my mom isn't like that. She accepted me immediately. At first she thought it was a phase but came to see that it wasn't.
I do not understand how a parent could act like that to their own child. Jet's story brought me to tears.

I got into a very heated argument with my mother when my kids were 9 and 3. She stated that she would 'disown' either of her grandchildren if she ever found out they were homosexual.

Suffice it to say I ripped her a new sphincter.

I told her in no uncertain terms that I had always been prepared to love my children if they were gay, and if she couldn't accept that, she could 'disown' me right then and there. Some people never find love...that is a tragedy. As long as my children are happy, they have my blessing to love without regard to gender.

To withhold love, support, and acceptance from a child simply because of their sexual orientation is unconscionable to me, and I made that abundantly clear to my mother.

Even though it took a few weeks (of my cold shoulder), my mother changed her tune.

When my daughter divulged 2 years ago that she was not certain of her sexual orientation, my mother did not disappoint. Neither did I.

My daughter never felt unloved...if she had, I wouldn't have done right by her.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,593,722 times
Family turning their back or becoming abusive to their kid just because their gay.....and they say gays have a problem. How utterly bass ackwards.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,682,505 times
Quote:

Yep. He was waiting across the street to catch one of them (he didn't really feel comfortable knocking on the door and potentially dealing with both at the same time) and his dad locked the doors and backed into him while leaving. He then drove off without giving him a second glance. Sad thing is, he is currently living with his (straight) brother and his parents call all the time and invite the straight one over for Holidays/BBQs etc, but haven't even spoken to Joe (not his real name) in nearly 13 years.

It breaks my heart to see him disowned like that, but luckily my mom was so excited to 'finally have a gay son' that he just fit into my family with no questions asked

Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM

757 posts, read 804,383 times
Worse, let's not forget too that homosexuals are also murdered for being gay.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:57 PM

They need to tie in that some people target gay teenagers to bully and harass. That would make any normal person depressed and possibly suicidal if the harassment was on going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
things like that happen all the time, and some people have the gall to use the high incidence of depression and suicide in gay teens as an argument that homosexuality is bad.

sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies