Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:09 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times

Advertisements

The military has become redundant. Too many bases (in the USA), too many servicemen, too inefficient and a massive drain on the economy and the country itself (we do need to keep bases overseas to maintain a worldwide presence though). Sure, there are jobs that are filled with military positions, but for the most part, it takes Americans out of positions of work in their own communities.

"But there aren't enough jobs to go around in many communities." That is one of the consequences of having the country's budget disproportionately biased towards defense spending instead of in places like Education.

Welfare is a wash, it's nice to have a safety net in place, but when abuse is rampant, then actions need to be taken to curb it. That is more important when it comes to Corporate welfare, not minorities who use it to never work a day of their lives (though changes need to be implemented to curb that too). What's more important to me is that we get rid of government subsidies to corporations like Monsanto/Archer Daniel Midland, big Pharma, or big Oil. You want a free market? Get rid of corporate welfare first.

Drugs should be a personal choice and not an issue with the state or religion, if people want to consume marijuana, then so be it. If an industry wants to cater to that particular group of people and provide the product for them, I'd rather it be a government regulated industry, instead of from organized crime/cartels with no regulations like the present black market. You can't change human behavior, if people want to do something like use drugs, they're going to.

Same with prostitution.

Marriage, I understand that for many religious individuals they see same-sex marriages as a personal insult to the church, but it is un-American to deny people the right to get married to each other. We're not allowing people to marry animals, but other human beings, and you should respect that no matter how different your beliefs are towards same-sex relationships. Being American should come first before your religion, God doesn't mind which religious ideology you have or which nationality you are, but if you want a better country, you need to start acting like people in this country that are different are Americans too and put aside any prejudices you have.

This country needs universal health care, start caring about your fellow country-men's health, and maybe we won't be soo tolerant of people's personal lifestyle choices that are destructive to their health. When people start noticing that people are conscious of what other people think of their health, maybe people will stop consuming unhealthy food so much (especially if government subsidies are taken out of the mix to companies that produce unhealthy foods) or use products like tobacco or alcohol as much, we don't need to get rid of them, but more emphasis is needed on moderation.

Corporations aren't people, and shouldn't be given the rights a person has.

Pro-choice only under certain circumstances, if the mother is in poverty and bringing up a child in that sort of environment would be detrimental to a human being, with odds stacked against them to become a productive member of society... or if the mother is the victim of rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Common sense makes me a total independent. I'm actually capable of thinking for myself and don't need party bosses telling me how to vote.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
I became more conservative when I followed a 'gal' out of a store and watched her get into a Cadillac with 24' wheels, the driver in sunglasses and wearing gold chain and a gold ring on nearly every finger, and the cars stereo rattling the windows.

I was buying food for the family. I work 60 hours a week to get by.

She was buying beer and cigarettes using a card issued by the government assistance program.

Kinda changed my perspective on liberal philosophy.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 AM

775 posts, read 740,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
This thread is NOT intended to turn into a Left vs. Right pissing contest.
Unfortunately, it didn't work.

On a broader scale, liberals oppose the status quo and favor reform, while conservatives favor the establishment and tradition.

Of course, this inevitably leads to conservatives being stuck on the wrong side of history and losing ground over the ages. The status quo has changed enormously since America's founding, meaning that liberals are obviously winning, and right (because anybody sane would agree that the present status quo is superior to that in the 18th century).

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
Im a conservative because I have a job and pay taxes.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
Im a conservative because I have a job and pay taxes.
Really? I thought liberals were, on average, more affluent and therefore in higher tax brackets than conservatives.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
We're never totally protected from them as long as the American public remains what it is, but compared to last year? Yes, I feel better.

I would love for this guy to come tell us how much safer he feels now after three years of obama killing everybody that frowns @ him

Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Really? I thought liberals were, on average, more affluent and therefore in higher tax brackets than conservatives.

thinkings not your strong point

according to the Tax Raiser In Chief, Im part of the upper 2% therefore Im evil and Im not paying enough...

Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I like the old school way of life.. the morals, the respect, ones word was a hand shake, integrity was sought after and principles were valued.

Today good is bad and bad is good.

Getting over on someone is considered good today . Sincerity is considered weakness by the majority of hardened hearts. Getting something for nothing is a good deal for many today and the freebees are sought after.

Working hard was honored and providing for ones family was the badge of honor. Today , many seek after pleasures that fade and contentment is hard to find. Wisdom was a crown of glory , yet today the dumbing down of society is creating a social plague that is coarse and unrefined. God help the next generations.

I don't want this country to progress into a deeper disrespect for themselves and becoming more corrupt. It is bad today and it can get worse. Can you guess I am a conservative?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
thinkings not your strong point
Spelling isn't yours, either. And liberals are tied with enterprisers as the most affluent group, and lead as the most educated.

I'm guessing your response will be to deny reality.

Quote:
according to the Tax Raiser In Chief, Im part of the upper 2% therefore Im evil and Im not paying enough...
They're wrong, of course. It's noble of you to want to keep more of your dollars for your private use rather than for the public good. The Republican Moral Code tells us that selfishness is a virtue, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies