Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:44 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, baloney. We don't have child labor any more in this country; we don't beat kids or women like people used to, etc.

Since I can remember, which is some time in the 1950s, I have heard people say, "you can't just close a deal on a handshake like you used to", yada, yada. I don't think it was EVER that way. We've had lawyers around for a long time. Abraham Lincoln was a lawyer, just as one example.
You may want to employ Google's search function before making claims like that. Here's a quick search that reveals that child labor is still a problem in the USA.

Child Labor in America Today

As for making deals on a handshake, I grew up in the country (population in my town was 308 people, and I'm pretty sure they counted the cemetery). It was common to make deals with a handshake, everything from buying a car to selling firewood was done either "cash on the table" or with the promise to pay at some future date, with very few people bothering with documentation. When you live in a community where everyone depends on their neighbors, honesty becomes a survival trait. That is one of the many things I miss about living in the country.

On to the original topic, I'm not sure what difference there really is between liberals and conservatives. Both groups tend to be hardcore on their beliefs, and close-minded to the beliefs of others, so in some ways there isn't much difference at all to me.

For myself, I guess I'd have to say I'm independent for the following reasons:
  • I don't care about abortion. No opinion whatsoever, to be quite honest.
  • I firmly support gay marriage. There is absolutely no reason outside of rabid religious beliefs to legally deny anyone the right to wed whomever they choose.
  • I am all for the death penalty, and believe it needs to be expedited in most cases. Fiscally, our current system doesn't work.
  • I believe in less government intervention in every day life. I believe most social programs are broken from the start.
  • I believe in less government spending. See above.
  • I believe that a flat tax rate with no deductions is more efficient than our current progressive rate which allows people to legally evade taxes.
  • I believe in private sector job creation. The endless loop of government sponsored job creation is a fiscal joke.

Just some of the reasons that I don't quite fall into any political group that I've run across so far. I was raised in a fairly conservative and, to be quite honest, bigoted household. While I've kept some of the core conservative beliefs, I've kicked the rest to the curb. However, while I sympathize with some of the liberal beliefs, I don't find that I care about enough of them to call myself a liberal either. Quite frankly, the majority of conservative-liberal argument threads that I've found on this forum remind me of middle-school students having arguments about whose dad is tougher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Many a deal was accepted by a handshake . Too bad some have never experienced decent people who have integrity.

We have kids who work hard on a farm for the family . These kids will grow up with a good idea of what it is to be self sufficient . Obama was trying to do away with the idea that kids should not work on a family farm. It would give more aliens a job.

There are women and kids that are treated badly today. Do you really think it is that much better? Listen to some of the music today regarding women. And it is accepted.
Maybe you could give a primary source example. Too bad some believe such twaddle. Remember Reagan's "trust, but verify"?

That was a lie about Obama and the farming. Kids would still be allowed to work the family farm. But you knew that.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Answers in Bold.
When you structure your post like that it is impossible to respond to you.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
In past elections it's been conservatives running on social issues such as gay marriage. This time it's liberals because they don't have an economic record to defend and they know this country will go back into true recession if Obama wins due to him letting the Bush tax cuts expire. Yes taxes were higher under Clinton but we were in an economic boom and the economy was strong enough to absorb higher taxes. Most people I know who strongly support Obama do so for one of three reasons: gay marriage, abortion, and illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies