U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2009, 11:26 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,968,268 times
Reputation: 2051

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
I wish I was getting paid...The reason I keep posting is that if Cap and HUGE ENERGY TAX passes... it's going to affect me and my entire family including most Americans quality of life significantly for the worse...and that my friend is "FACT"...
I see. The ends justify the means. As long as you get yours, it doesn't matter what the truth is. At least you're not "lying for Jesus" as evolution deniers do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,828,634 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
LOL the Democrats are the only party that takes care of the poor, and the environment, and energy security, and health care.

lol...lol..lol... Yeah by keeping them poor with all your idiotic social programs that never work....your just so compassionate...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,828,634 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
I see. The ends justify the means. As long as you get yours, it doesn't matter what the truth is. At least you're not "lying for Jesus" as evolution deniers do
global warming/climate change is nothing more than a guise for distribution of wealth...

Just like taxing cigarettes...if liberals in Washington were so concerned about the general public health they would have banned the product years ago....

Liberals are control freaks...love power...as I always say show me a liberal and I'll scratch you out a fascist....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 16,402,373 times
Reputation: 7966
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
as I always say show me a liberal and I'll scratch you out a fascist....
Really? You always say that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,828,634 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Really? You always say that?
Absolutely...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 16,402,373 times
Reputation: 7966
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Absolutely...
Then why didn't you say it in that post?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,268 posts, read 3,458,560 times
Reputation: 1496
I don’t agree with all of the global warming argument, but I think it is a bit silly to assume the entire world is chilly just because NH is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 2,138,263 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Well, it's over 90 here (and it was 87 IN MY HOUSE last night...no AC because we'd normally not need it because of the breeze from the Pacific) in San Diego again today.

Part of "Global Warming" is not just a rise in temperatures, but a shift in temperature patterns and more wild fluctuations in weather/storms. Seriously, if you have EVER paid attention in Science class, you'd know this. It's funny how the dimwitted people who deny global warming act as if it's a new term from the last 5 years (or since Inconvenient Truth) when it's been a topic of science classes for at least 20 years. I did a project on Global Warming in 1987!!

Also, parts of this country are cold during the summers, especially those in the mountains. Look at Truckee, California!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
20,463 posts, read 24,675,330 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I don’t agree with all of the global warming argument, but I think it is a bit silly to assume the entire world is chilly just because NH is.
BINGO!
(Hence my statement about Seattle being amazingly HOT this year).

Ken
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
20,463 posts, read 24,675,330 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Well, it's over 90 here (and it was 87 IN MY HOUSE last night...no AC because we'd normally not need it because of the breeze from the Pacific) in San Diego again today.

Part of "Global Warming" is not just a rise in temperatures, but a shift in temperature patterns and more wild fluctuations in weather/storms. Seriously, if you have EVER paid attention in Science class, you'd know this. It's funny how the dimwitted people who deny global warming act as if it's a new term from the last 5 years (or since Inconvenient Truth) when it's been a topic of science classes for at least 20 years. I did a project on Global Warming in 1987!!

Also, parts of this country are cold during the summers, especially those in the mountains. Look at Truckee, California!
Yup.
It's not even that the weather will be necessarily worse - just that it will be different (and the disruption (both economic and social) that difference will create). The fact is, people settle in a particular region/area because of very specific reasons - and often (perhaps even usually) those reasons are at least somewhat weather related. This include things like "sufficient rainfall to replenish local water supplies" and or safety from floods (or conversely (and ironically) seasonal flooding to replenish the soil).

When those factors change it can and usually does have a profound impact on the folks living in that area. Sometimes an entire city may have been in an advantagous location before the climate changed but is afterwards in an untenable situation in that regard (this is likely what happened to the Maya). Consider what would happen if the precipitation patterns changed such that the Mississippi River lost half it's volume (perhaps even more). What would be the economic impact to all those port facilities all along the river from north to south? The cost to move all those facilities would be enormous - not to mention the additional maintainance of the existing river channels (think of all the additional dredging needed). Now consider the opposite - what would happen if the precipitation patterns changed to double the amount of precipitation feeding into the Mississippi River - the flooding would be ENORMOUS (and so would the economic cost). There ARE dikes of course, but those dikes are built to hold back the EXPECTED quantity of water (not DOUBLE that amount). Some of the biggest cities in America would be underwater. Take New Orleans and multiply it over and over again as city after city and town after town (hundreds and hundreds of them) along the Missouri/Mississippi rivers are unindated. Imagine the financial cost of that.

The fact is weather has a HUGE impact on humanity and any largescale change in existing weather patterns is going to result in an enormous financial impact to us whether we like it or not.

Ken
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top