Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Originally Posted by saganista
Hmmm. Did you leave out the fact that the NUMMI plant in Fremont was a 50-50 joint venture with GM, and that GM was forced to pull out of its share of those operations as part of its bankruptcy proceedings? Gee, I think you did...

Originally Posted by shorebaby
Ummm forced I don't think so.

That's what I was reading.

OK my friend I pointed out that they were not forced by bankruptcy proceedings but chose to pull out of its share of NUMMI. If you looked at my other link you would have discovered the government determined what would be part of old GM and what would not. Not the court and not the creditors. Hence not forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Wimpier still...

Interesting debating style.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Wimpier still...
ok, this thread has become shallow and meangingless.

Take a look at San Diego if you want to see what "good" Unions are doing. Every level of Govt is upside down due labor and wage agreements (aka Union extortion).

Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That's what I am saying, whoever is supervising the GM Bankruptcy blew it. Toyota Produces the Tacoma Truck there. They want to keep the plant open.
Toyota wasn't in bankruptcy. GM was. GM's share in NUMMI did not make it through the restructuring process. No doubt that in the best of all possible worlds, Toyota would have liked to see NUMMI continue. So would have GM. But thanks to gross economic blunders by a certain group of recent political leaders, we do not at all live in the best of all possible worlds. GM is gone from Fremont, and a bleeding Toyota doesn't see itself as strong enough to continue the operation on its own. End of story. Probably also the end of NUMMI.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Take a look at San Diego if you want to see what "good" Unions are doing. Every level of Govt is upside down due labor and wage agreements (aka Union extortion).
Look who you are responding to.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
OK my friend I pointed out that they were not forced by bankruptcy proceedings but chose to pull out of its share of NUMMI. If you looked at my other link you would have discovered the government determined what would be part of old GM and what would not. Not the court and not the creditors. Hence not forced.
Forced. Not forced. You argue both. These seem to be mean the same thing to you.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Union members ARE the Union!
If they get pist off they should attend union meetings and voice their concerns. THAT is what a union is about. Don't belong to a Union?...Who ya gonna call?
Not always. In California, you can choose to not belong to the Union, but you still must pay Union dues. So the Union higher-ups have the money and power that goes along with it, but the working stiff has no right to voice concerns.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Forced. Not forced. You argue both. These seem to be mean the same thing to you.

Shallow and meaningless....

Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Interesting debating style.
You apparently don't wish to participate in any actual debate of this aspect of the thread. All you have done since initiating it is duck and cover behind empty notional commentary such as the above.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Great point. I think it's fair to say that there's a big difference between private business Unions, and government Unions.

Government Unions can clearly be seen to be detrimental to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies