Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The bill is not any different than the sweeping powers the government already has during a national emergency. They can sieze the airwaves, railroads, airports, airlines, busses and they can order AT&T to make the phone system only available to government agencies and to dissconnect everybody else from it (this was almost done about 20 years ago when Calif has the last big quake). They can order traffic off every interstate in the country.
So what is different here?
Nothing is different from what I can tell.

The other thing I don't see different lately is people posting a thread with an invalid claim, something that has been refuted before, but you see the claim in a thread title again, in bold, so that it gets read by anyone looking at the board, even if they don't read the thread itself.

This thread's claim has been made before.... and just think of all the repeated 'Death Squad' or 'Losing Freedom'titles you've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Nothing is different from what I can tell.

The other thing I don't see different lately is people posting a thread with an invalid claim, something that has been refuted before, but you see the claim in a thread title again, in bold, so that it gets read by anyone looking at the board, even if they don't read the thread itself.

This thread's claim has been made before.... and just think of all the repeated 'Death Squad' or 'Losing Freedom'titles you've seen.
yep...

the misleading thread titles are the ones that drive me crazy for precisely this reason. I think more people than not DONT read the content let alone cross-check it. But they swallow whole the most preposterous thread titles. I sometimes wonder, did the title-twisters subconsciously pick up this cynical technique from Faux, wnd and the rest, or did they come up with it themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies