Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM

37,877 posts, read 21,962,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Look. Do you notice that Glenn suggests you ask your elected reps -- he does NOT suggest you take some individual initiative and look up this stuff for yourself?

Does that tell you ANYTHING?
Neither does a newspaper.

What I do with any information I receive is my own business, I do not wait for someone to tell me what to do with it, nor do I blindly believe everything I hear or read. But thanks for your concern.

Quote:
The "elected reps" schtick echoes the Tea Party faux-organization and defiance -- although, definitely do write your elected reps with any questions. Just try not to be embarrassed by the answers you get.
I write to Sen. Feingold, and all I ever get is the his canned responses.

Quote:
But Glenn's purpose is to set a lot of questions roiling in your mind -- questions that he and his owners know, from proof time after time, year in and year out, that you will NOT look them up, that you want to stay scared and be told what to think. This is how Faux and Rush and everyone else have made their living all these years, wapesha -- they deliberately play your deliberate ignorance.
The rest of your rant is a waste of my time to respond to, it's full of bile and hate. You know absolutely nothing about me, and yet you display dripping sarcasm and contempt for who or what you think i am.

I have only watched four Glen Beck shows in my life, I know next to nothing about him. The only reason I was curious enough to watch his show was because of looney tunes like you who go into fits of rage at the mere mention of his name. Just go peddle your insults, sarcasm and liberal hatred some place else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I did not say that I supported the sharing of information to the level that is indicated in this legislation.

I did think it was necessary to point out that the government is not "gathering" more information on us, it already has the information, so "sharing" would be more descriptive, and that the information being shared does, in fact, serve a useful purpose.
Don't you agree that personal and sensitive information that the government gathers from us should be held in strict confidence, not freely tossed around to any government agency that feels a need to access it. After seeing what they did with Joe the Plumber, I should think less access and greater restrictions to our personal information should be on everyone's mind, not less restrictions and more access.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,058,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
One view of the civilian national security force:
American Thinker: Obama's Civilian National Security Force

Maybe this is what Obama has in mind as one of the functions of the civilian national security force:
Michelle Malkin » Obama’s civilian security force: Billy club-wielding security guards at Philly polls

Wapasha's points are well stated. In the quote, "We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set" perhaps the next question we need to ask is "what are the national security objectives" that Obama has set. It's clear from his statement that they are already defined, but I don't recall that they have been made available to the people.

Once we know what Obama's national security objectives are, we will be better able to understand what his civilian force is all about.
why dont you watch the video and see what he was saying in context. doesnt it interest you, what he actually said? arent you curious?

Why do you all pride yourselves on staying uninformed? I know Faux has your number as far as that goes but I just wonder why you are this way.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,402,044 times
FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR

.PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA

That's why...

Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,132,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR -- FEAR

.PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA -- PARANOIA

That's why...

SDounds like something Adolph Hitler accused the Germans who had doubts about his power grip on the country.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 PM

0bama has said time and time again that he wants to “move this country in a new direction,” but he never defines what that direction is. He says he wants to create an army of a million government workers, his civilian security force, which he refers to as “volunteers” who will be required to serve. So what does he want to accomplish with all these different corps of government volunteers?

From what he has been doing in office so far, it appears the new direction for the country is massively increased deficits and debt, and vastly over-reaching powers of the federal government to exert control over American private enterprise.

Quote:
He plans to double the Peace Corps' budget by 2011, and expand AmeriCorps, USA Freedom Corps, VISTA, YouthBuild Program, and the Senior Corps. Plus, he proposes to form a Classroom Corps, Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, Veterans Corps, Homeland Security Corps, Global Energy Corps, and a Green Jobs Corps. Here a corps - there a corps - everywhere a corps corps.
Like the OP says, there are plenty of unanswered questions.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,058,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
0bama has said time and time again that he wants to “move this country in a new direction,” but he never defines what that direction is. He says he wants to create an army of a million government workers, his civilian security force, which he refers to as “volunteers” who will be required to serve. So what does he want to accomplish with all these different corps of government volunteers?

From what he has been doing in office so far, it appears the new direction for the country is massively increased deficits and debt, and vastly over-reaching powers of the federal government to exert control over American private enterprise.

they're unanswered for you because you dont look them up.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Why does this administration want so much control over us?
Why do people phrase statements in the form of a question?

Quote:
Why, in a health care bill, is the IRS mandated to turn over all of our tax information? Go to Section 431A.
To help prevent fraud and waste. Other suggestions are welcome as to how to prevent this.

Quote:
How is spending $9Trillion that we don't have going to help the economy?
Ugh. $9Trillion? Any reputable source to back that up?

AND, yes. Investments can be good for an economy. For example, investing in a large Federal Highway system led to a huge boom in the U.S. Investment in access to preventative care can lower overall spending on health care - money that can be invested somewhere else.

Quote:
Why does obama want a civilian security force? He wants them as well trained as our military and as well funded.
FactCheck.org: Is Obama planning a Gestapo-like "civilian national security force"? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_obama_planning_a_gestapo-like_civilian_national.html - broken link)

Quote:
Too many questions, but nobody in obama's administration has come out and denied anything that has been said.
They also have not come out to deny the existence of fairies, goblins, or trolls. Your point?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,764,147 times
Quote:
0bama has said time and time again that he wants to “move this country in a new direction,” but he never defines what that direction is.

Only if your head has been up your...

Were you paying attention during the election? He gave more specific info than any other candidate out there:

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaBlueprintForChange.pdf
(Warning: PDF document)

Quote:
[Obama] says he wants to create an army of a million government workers, his civilian security force, which he refers to as “volunteers” who will be required to serve. So what does he want to accomplish with all these different corps of government volunteers?
BARACk OBAMA ANd jOE BIdEN’S PLAN
Enable All Americans to Serve to Meet the Nation’s Challenges
Expand Corporation for National and Community Service: Obama and Biden will expand AmeriCorps from
75,000 slots today to 250,000 and he will focus this expansion on addressing the great challenges facing
the nation. They will establish a Classroom Corps to help teachers and students, with a priority placed on
underserved schools; a Health Corps to improve public health outreach; a Clean Energy Corps to conduct
weatherization and renewable energy projects; a Veterans Corps to assist veterans at hospitals, nursing
homes and homeless shelters; and a Homeland Security Corps to help communities plan, prepare for and
respond to emergencies.
Engage Retiring Americans in Service on a Large Scale: Older Americans have a wide range of skills and
knowledge to contribute. Obama and Biden will expand and improve programs that connect individuals over
the age of 55 to quality volunteer opportunities.
Expand the Peace Corps: Obama and Biden will double the Peace Corps to 16,000 by 2011. They will work
with the leaders of other countries to build an international network of overseas volunteers so that Ameri-
cans work side-by-side with volunteers from other countries.
Show the World the Best Face of America: Obama and Biden will set up an America’s Voice Initiative to
send Americans who are fluent speakers of local languages to expand our public diplomacy. They also will
extend opportunities for older individuals such as teachers, engineers, and doctors to serve overseas.
Integrate Service into Learning
Expand Service-Learning in Our Nation’s Schools: Obama and Biden will set a goal that all middle and high
school students do 50 hours of community service a year. They will develop national guidelines for service-
learning and will give schools better tools both to develop programs and to document student experience.
Green Job Corps: Obama and Biden will create an energy-focused youth jobs program to provide disadvan-
taged youth with service opportunities weatherizing buildings and getting practical experience in fast-grow-
ing career fields.
Expand YouthBuild Program: Obama and Biden will expand the YouthBuild program, which gives disadvan-
taged young people the chance to complete their high school education, learn valuable skills and build af-
fordable housing in their communities. They will grow the program so that 50,000 low-income young people
a year a chance to learn construction job skills and complete high school.
Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama and Biden will establish a new American Opportunity Tax
Credit that worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.
Promote College Serve-Study: Obama and Biden will ensure that at least 25 percent of College Work-Study
funds are used to support public service opportunities instead of jobs in dining halls and libraries.
Invest in the Nonprofit Sector
Social Investment Fund Network: Obama and Biden will create a Social Investment Fund Network to use
federal seed money to leverage private sector funding to improve local innovation, test the impact of new
ideas and expand successful programs to scale.
Social Entrepreneurship Agency for Nonprofits: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will a create an agency within
the Corporation for National and Community Service dedicated to building the capacity and effectiveness
of the nonprofit sector.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
Read the Speech
Organizing for America | BarackObama.com
Watch Excerpts of the Speech
Organizing for America | Jaime Mulligan's Blog: A Call to Serve: Video
Read the Plan
http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/Natio...nFactSheet.pdf

Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,164,002 times
Quote:
Neither does a newspaper.

What I do with any information I receive is my own business, I do not wait for someone to tell me what to do with it, nor do I blindly believe everything I hear or read. But thanks for your concern.

I write to Sen. Feingold, and all I ever get is the his canned responses.

The rest of your rant is a waste of my time to respond to, it's full of bile and hate. You know absolutely nothing about me, and yet you display dripping sarcasm and contempt for who or what you think i am.

I have only watched four Glen Beck shows in my life, I know next to nothing about him. The only reason I was curious enough to watch his show was because of looney tunes like you who go into fits of rage at the mere mention of his name. Just go peddle your insults, sarcasm and liberal hatred some place else.
Actually I get the same response from both Carney and Bob Casey.
canned messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies