Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My thoughts on this situation are:
Student is a horrible criminal and needs to be in jail for a while. 19 30.16%
Student was wrong but get over it. It's not a big deal. 14 22.22%
I see both sides to the story. Student should have just been sent out in the hall. That easy. 5 7.94%
Neutral. 1 1.59%
Student did not do too much wrong. He wanted his cell phone back. 6 9.52%
Student did what was right. This is not an assault. 6 9.52%
Other opinions. 16 25.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times

Advertisements

The choices in the poll, particularly choice # 1, are so distorted as to make the poll unfair. Similarly, the title of the thread misrepresents the situation.

If you read the article you will see that the student's arrest had nothing to do with a cell phone. He was arrested for assaulting a teacher. This cannot be tolerated in a school. He should be prosecuted and expelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
The school has a zero-tolerance policy regarding cell phones. And the student assaulted a teacher. Where's the problem? Oh, wait, I'm sorry; I temporarily forgot that people who can't function without cell phones might possibly side with the "student" (which must be put in quotation marks, because apparently this individual had more pressing concerns than school).

Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I do not find the teacher being able to grab this property. They can ask that it be put up / turned off. but don't touch... what if they grab it and damage it... do you think they would be responsible for fixing / replacing it? some of these phones are very expensive. mine is $550 I wouldn't allow them to take mine either, but I also would not have it out.

I think the teacher was wrong The student defended his property and in a firm way with out damage to the teacher got the point across. Had they struck them ok battery... I squeezed you hand... give me a break.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
What's wrong with people nowadays? There is so little disrespect from younger generations. it's this kind of crap the parents teaching your kids at home? What's wrong? Why are people so political correct? The kid messed up, deal with it. suspend his spoiled rotten butt and send him to do community service, cleaning public toilet after a ball game!

wait...you guys probably will say, that will going to hurt his inner feeling and will scared him for life..LOL

Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefAreCoolToo View Post
What's wrong with people nowadays? There is so little disrespect from younger generations. it's this kind of crap the parents teaching your kids at home? What's wrong? Why are people so political correct? The kid messed up, deal with it. suspend his spoiled rotten butt and send him to do community service, cleaning public toilet after a ball game!

wait...you guys probably will say, that will going to hurt his inner feeling and will scared him for life..LOL
It used to be taking someone else's personal property was a sign of disrespect. How times have changed.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
I voted for him being a criminal for lack of a better choice.

The student who is old enough to understand and obey the rules was in the wrong. There is no reason that anyone can not get along without their cell phones for any extended period of time. The school has a policy for a reason. Not only did the student assault the teacher but wasted taxpayers money and the other students time.
My sons school allows the kids to have their cell phones, but they are turned off. He can call me from the office if he needs something (forgotten homework assignment, a ride home, etc.) They will confiscate them and then the parent has to get the phone from the school. If it wasn't for my exhusband though, my son wouldn't have a cell phone anyway.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Default High school student arrested over cell phone: poll

No, he wasn't.

He was arrested for assault, just like the article says. Too bad they can't make stupidity a crime.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
It used to be taking someone else's personal property was a sign of disrespect. How times have changed.

It used to be that not bringing certain personal property to class was known by all to be appropriate.

Times have changed.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
I voted that the student did not do anything wrong. The teacher should have told the kid to put the phone away & not try to take it. The student may have been wrong to grab the teacher's hand [esp since it was a female teacher] but mostly it was the teacher's fault & the student should not have been arrested. I share a cell phone with my brother & we take it to school. I put it on vibrate so the teacher can't tell when I get a call & maybe text or talk in a whisper if the teacher isn't looking. I would do the same thing as the student in Texas but maybe not grab the teacher's hand.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
The student shouldn't have had his phone out in the class. However, I don't get a zero tolerance policy over phones either.

What the kid did wrong, was grabbing the teachers hand, and squeezing it until she let the phone go. No way he should have done that, and thats what he was arrested for, not the phone. There would have been plenty of time later to try and get the phone back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies